Vice President, Strategy & Innovation – Edmonton Global
Edmonton Global is the first ever regional economic development corporation in the region, working to create local, regional, provincial, national, and global partnerships. Edmonton Global collaborates with all levels of government and economic development agencies including 15 municipalities, Invest Alberta, Alberta’s Industrial Heartland Association, the Edmonton International Airport, Edmonton Health City, the Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute, and Invest in Canada.
The purpose of Edmonton Global is to radically transform and grow the economy of the Edmonton Metropolitan Region. Their work promotes the region globally and is focused on attracting and retaining business investment and trade in the Edmonton Region.
Edmonton Global’s vision is to make the Edmonton Metropolitan Region the choice location for global investment. Home to more than 1.4 million people and generating $105 billion in GDP, the Edmonton Metropolitan Region is Canada’s 5th largest economy, in the fastest growing region. To attract investment and quality jobs to the region, their strategy is to strengthen and support growth, innovation, and competitiveness — all in collaboration with the region’s 15 municipalities.
Young, Educated, and Growing – this is the Edmonton Metropolitan Region.
For further information on Edmonton Global, please visit: https://edmontonglobal.ca/
|Job Title:||Vice President, Strategy & Innovation|
|Reports to:||Chief Executive Officer|
|Direct Reports:||3 (Manager level)|
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President, Strategy & Innovation is responsible for executing Edmonton Global’s strategic plan and leading the Innovation & Partnerships division which has responsibility for government relations and advocacy, stakeholder relations and engagement, innovation, and strategic foresight for Edmonton Global.
The Vice President, Strategy & Innovation oversees a team of three direct reports focused on Partnerships & Relationships, Strategic Initiatives, and Global Competitiveness, Government Relations and Advocacy, and is a key member of the Edmonton Global executive team along with the CEO and the Vice Presidents of, Investment & Trade and Global Marketing & Communications.
The Vice President, Strategy & Innovation will oversee the implementation of the Edmonton Global strategic plan and will lead the Innovations & Partnership branch through several initiatives:
- Develop and oversight on the strategic direction setting with the CEO & Board of Directors
- Develop and oversee the Stakeholder Relations and Engagement Strategy;
- Develop and execute on regional global competitiveness.
- Develop and execute on organizational Government Relations and Advocacy Plan;
- Develop and execute on a Regional Innovation Strategy;
- Oversee the Business Partnerships Council in conjunction with the CEO and Board Chair;
- Work with the CEO to oversee the Benchmarking and Report Card process; and
- Any other strategic initiatives designated to the VP by the Board of Directors or the CEO.
- Develop Stakeholder Relations & Engagement Strategy and Advocacy Plan aligned to the holistic needs, priorities, and objectives of Edmonton Global’s Strategic Plan;
- Develop an Innovation Strategy for the Region in consultation with partners;
- Develop a regional engagement strategy and work with the VP, Global Marketing and Communications on branding & implementation;
- Work closely with the Vice Presidents of, Investment & Trade and Global Marketing & Communications to fulfill the core business of the organization;
- Ensure the organization plans for long-term success so it can continue to support the core business of the organization;
- Participate in Edmonton Global Board meetings, lead stakeholder meetings and events;
- Lead the organization’s advocacy function strategically and through direct lobbying or communication;
- Develop and maintain political networks to ensure Edmonton Global is engaged with the federal and provincial government;
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills that contribute to working effectively in a diverse working environment; and
- Responsible for performance and professional development of a team of professionals.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Gain a high level of organizational familiarity in order to maximize on strategic initiatives;
- Having the potential of engaging with up to 15 new regional stakeholders, strategically transition through the 2021 municipal election to ensure successful business continuity;
- In addition to enhancing existing relationships, develop new relationships with external stakeholders to continue to identify and partner on potential economic development opportunities on a local, national and global scale including a fully functioning Business Advisory capacity; and
- Work with the executive team to create a comprehensive, multi-year strategic plan for the organization.
The successful candidate will be an adaptive and dynamic individual comfortable working in a fast-paced organization and embody Edmonton Global’s core values: integrity, collaborative, empowered, transformative, and invested. The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Master’s degree in political science, economics, business, or related field is preferred; and
- A combination of experience and education may be considered.
- 8-10 years of experience in strategic planning and development, government or stakeholder relations, executive leadership and management, and working in complex multi stakeholder environments;
- Understands the international market place;
- Proven ability to effectively manage teams of professionals;
- Strategic planning experience within a small to medium-sized organization;
- Business planning experience within a small to medium-sized organization;
- Experience in applying for and reporting on provincial and federal grants;
- A leader within the Edmonton Metropolitan Region business community; and
- Experience working within an organization that reports to a Board of Directors.
Competencies and Attributes
- Proven ability to maintain and extend networks within, across and external to organizational boundaries;
- Creative individual who can think outside the box and push the boundaries of what others thought possible;
- A values-based thought leader;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment; a highly adaptive and dynamic individual comfortable working in a start-up organization;
- Ability to work collaboratively with teams, consultants and external stakeholders;
- Effective negotiation skills;
- Comfortable with public speaking and presentations;
- Strong oral & written communication skills;
- Results management;
- High attention to detail;
- Flexibility/Adaptability to change; and
- Teamwork/cooperation (across all units).
- A valid driver’s license in good standing; and
- A valid passport as travel regionally, nationally, and internationally may be required.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Edmonton Global is an equal opportunity employer and we value the diversity of people and communities. We are committed to an environment that is inclusive and barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodations.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ANOW-516304 Vice President, Strategy & Innovation – Edmonton Global - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.