Vice President Product & Pricing, GMS Health and Travel Insurance
Headquartered in Regina, Saskatchewan GMS Insurance employs approximately 120 employees, has health and travel insurance as well as group benefit plans which generates just under $85 million in revenue per year. GMS has been taking care of Canadian families since 1949 – before publicly funded Medicare was available in the province. When access to basic healthcare became available to everyone through Medicare, GMS stepped in to bridge the gap between publicly funded healthcare and the needs of its customers. GMS introduced health insurance coverage for health care related costs not paid for by government, such as prescription drugs, ambulance services and private duty nursing. These core benefits are still the building blocks of their plans offered today. GMS’s goal is to offer Canadians choices and real value in health and travel insurance. They focus on wellness first. Healthy and happy people create thriving communities, which is why our client, GMS, aims to put wellness first. All of their individual and group health benefits plans provide individuals with the access to care that ensures they are living their lives to the fullest and have coverage for care when they need it.
Empower Canadians to make positive healthy decisions through our wellness network, responsive products and personalized experiences.
Communities and individuals connected by a desire to continuously improve health and wellness.
- Caring: We care about our customers. We take the time to listen and understand what matters most.
- Innovative: We’re innovative in smart ways. GMS employs a customer- responsive team that balances personal touch and advanced industry technology.
- Easy: We’re easy to deal with. Simple. Upfront with our customers.
- Positive: We’re positive. We look at problems as opportunities. Because we’re positive, we believe in and help our customers achieve their dreams of living well.
- Real: We’re real. Down to earth, approachable and friendly.
- Fair: We’re fair with our approach in everything we do.
In 2020, GMS was once again part of a select group, Top Saskatchewan Employers, as awarded by Mediacorp Canada Inc. This award recognizes industry leaders across Canada who invest in their employees through competitive compensation and benefits, plus a work culture that helps retain and attract top staff. Being a top employer is not something GMS takes for granted. Their employees are their most valuable resource.
GMS regularly check in with their employees through surveys to make sure they’re providing a workplace that supports their success. In turn, GMS has a group of talented people:
- Committed to helping Canadians live well with great products and exceptional customer service; and
- Proud of giving back to our community, supporting health care and promoting healthy living through staff through volunteer time that compliments their corporate donations.
To learn more about GMS please visit their website: www.gms.ca
Job Title: Vice-President Product & Pricing
Reports to: President & Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: 5
Director, Individual Health, Director
Manager, Individual Medical Underwriting
Manager, Group Underwriting
Indirect Reports: 15
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Vice-President Product & Pricing is a member of the senior leadership team. S/he is responsible for pricing across all product lines, underwriting, Enterprise Risk Management, as well as GMS’ business analytics and reporting functions. Be part of the GMS winning formula! Provide leadership that generates great ideas, creating great products, delivered by great people who provide great service!
- Executive leadership team – effective teaming with peer executives contributing to a constructive ‘tone at the top’; taking an ‘enterprise view’ of strategic matters, contributing to enterprise strategy formulation and implementation; effectively representing GMS within functional scope with customers, trade groups, brokers, reinsurers, the business community and other external stakeholders, from time to time at the request of the CEO.
- People leadership – provide leadership and direction through team engagement, empowerment and development. Provide clear and consistent direction, nurturing a high performance, accountable culture.
- Product Development – provide leadership to GMS as they continue their pursuit of best practices and ‘putting the customer experience’ as the focal point in their product design; stay current on industry trends, pioneering new ideas and leading research and development of new products. Collaborate to ensure an effective, efficient product management life cycle.
- Pricing & Underwriting – help GMS to continue to evolve their pricing approach considering risk, cost, economics as well as competitive dynamics and increasingly the “voice of the customer”, understanding value as they perceive it. Ensure GMS has the right industry partner relationships established so that there are various options that can be considered when deciding how best to underwrite a new product.
- Enterprise Risk Management / Chief Risk Officer – provide leadership to GMS’s enterprise risk management with the objective of enhancing GMS’s “risk culture” and focus on performance. This will include but not necessarily be limited to: enhance risk organization and governance; taking a forward looking view integrated across existing and emerging risk; clarifying risk appetite and strategy, cascading accountability across business lines and aligning with GMS business strategy; enabling an integrated view of trade-offs and timely integration of risk information into business decisions; clear measurement and targeted mitigation initiatives.
- Business Analytics / Chief Privacy Officer – provide strong ‘activist’ sponsorship to effective data-driven decision-making with the individual customer’s experience as the focal point for curiosity, research, insight and feedback. In parallel, take ownership for collaborating with other leaders and teams to ensure systems and processes provide data security and integrity. Create secure pathways for talented, disciplined team-members to share information and insight to the benefit of the entire GMS enterprise, while protecting the integrity of customer, partner and organizational information. This role is the most senior executive accountable to ensure GMS complies with all relevant federal and provincial privacy legislation.
Opportunities and Challenges
- Help GMS make the customer experience and ‘value’ perspective the focal point of their organization
- Continue to mature GMS product design, pricing and distribution processes, practices and network contributing to company growth, profitability and community impact ambitions
- Evolve risk management to gain full engagement and alignment from Board down, improving strategic and operational decisions, actions and results
- Collaborate with others to enable ‘fact-based’ decision-making, by access to accurate, timely information which creates insight, while protecting the privacy and security of customer and business information in alignment with legislative and regulatory requirements
- A non-profit insurance enterprise strongly connected with and supportive of its broader community
- Executive leadership impact on GMS mission, vision and values in collaboration with highly knowledgeable, expert colleagues and a supportive governing board
- Prairie based executive leadership role within the financial services sector
- Forward thinking digital technology strategy focused on innovation and agility
- Elevating the customer experience beyond traditional insurance interactions
- A small organization where strategic and leadership impacts are noticeable almost immediately!
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop or enhance the overall pricing strategy that aligns with strategic objectives
- Enhance the ERM, risk appetite alignment between Board and Management
- Identify and establish key partnerships, and acquisition targets
- Build strong effective leadership, inspiring energy and drive within area of accountability, enabling team effectiveness
- Build strong relationships with executive peers, and board committees
- Oversee the successful launch of customer facing value added products and services as laid out in the strategic plan
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor degree in business or other relevant subject matter focus
- Actuarial studies not mandatory but seen as complementary to bachelor degree
- Extensive insurance industry experience relevant to scope of the role ideally emphasizing senior pricing and product design accomplishments
- Referenceable executive leadership accomplishments with a track record of building highly engaged teams and nurturing a culture of accountability and performance
Competencies and Attributes
- Customer service excellence; focuses on ‘value’, as experienced by the customer
- Appetite for innovation and change; big picture, future focused thinker
- Emphasize employee experience, a leader who coaches and develops their people
- Decisive and takes initiative, yet open to ideas and input from others; flexible to alter course based on new information / learning
- Puts needs of our customer, our people and our organization ahead of their own personal needs; humble leader who shines the light on the contributions others make
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AFBL-666004 Vice President Product & Pricing, GMS Health and Travel Insurance - SK - Regina (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.