Vice President, Operations (Western Canada) – Scandinavian Building Services
Scandinavian Building Services started as a small janitorial company in Edmonton, Alberta in 1956. This iconic Edmonton company was purchased by Terry and Wilda Hay in 1982. With a glint in their eyes, the Hays set their sights beyond Edmonton. Before long, Scandinavian had established a solid presence across Western Canada, earning a “spotless reputation” and serving a growing list of commercial clients.
Today, Scandinavian is a second-generation family owned and operated business. The company offers full-service janitorial and building maintenance across Canada. Scandinavian continues to experience steady growth and is always finding unique ways to provide clients with innovative cleaning services that exceed expectations.
The management team is committed to expanding the business, as is evident by the consistent 20% to 30% annual growth in recent years. Scandinavian is rapidly establishing a foothold in Eastern Canada and is even setting its sights on opportunities in the American Northwest.
Scandinavian Building Services’ CORE VALUES:
For further information on Scandinavian Building Services, please visit their website at: https://scandinavian.ca
|Job Title:||Vice President, Operations (Western Canada)|
|Reports to:||Chief Operating Officer|
|5; Regional Directors (Alberta North, Alberta South, British Columbia x 2, and Saskatchewan)|
|Location:||Edmonton, AB (40% travel expected)|
Scandinavian Building Services (“Scandi”) is seeking a Vice President, Operations (Western Canada) to lead their British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba regions. This role requires an individual who is a collaborative and motivating leader with innovative out of the box thinking and has a passion for connecting with team members and clients.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Vice President, Operations (Western Canada) is an integral member of the leadership team and will oversee the Western operations providing mentoring and coaching of the Reginal Directors, lead and assist in client management, and successfully achieve organizational growth goals and targets.
- Accountable for all contracts current and new for the Western Canada region;
- Meet sales targets with short and long-term objectives in mind;
- Manage client concerns, followed with a full review of how the process was handled;
- Involved in client community and educate on Scandi’s culture/values;
- Follow -up on new leads and active in interaction with all existing clientele;
- Communicate with Regional Directors and clients on each project;
- Accountable for tracking the teams expenses and budgets;
- Assist on all new account start-ups, staying involved with the Regional Directors throughout the entire process;
- Ensure all company policies, procedures and systems are carried out; and
- Submit a monthly sales reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Mentor and coach the Western Canada operations team;
- Provide best in class service to all existing and prospective Scandi clients;
- Responsible for coordinating team building events;
- Monthly meetings with all Regional Directors to discuss employee and owner-operator performance and address any performance related issues/concerns; and
- Ensure culture within the Western Canadian operations adheres to or follows Scandi’s core values:
- Service, 2. Respect, 3. Motivate and 4. Connect.
- Join a family-owned business with over 60 years of successful operation throughout Canada who is poised and positioned for continued success and growth;
- Recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, Scandi thrives on team recognition and involvement;
- “Owner Operator model which creates a partnership enabling our colleagues to make an excellent living and have a greater stake in achieving client satisfaction; and
- Join a company with a great culture and team that are passionate about giving back to the community.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the entire organization as well as the different subtleties within the Western Canadian region;
- Build strong connections with the Scandi team members and clients;
- Successfully and independently lead the Western Canadian region;
- Stabilize the new market growth by connecting with new clients to building trust and provide them with great service; and
- Achieve monthly and annual KPIs for the Western Canadian region.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Undergraduate degree or diploma in in business administration and/or management.
- 10 years’ experience in the Building Services and/or Facility Maintenance industry;
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience leading or managing a team focused on sales and customer service;
- Experience managing a Regional team is a strong asset; and
- Strong financial and business acumen.
Competencies and Attributes
- Business and Financial Acumen: Understands key business fundamentals, understands the drivers of financial health and accountability of the organization and takes responsibility to maintain its ongoing fiscal soundness.
- Coachable: Takes an objective look at one’s strengths and weaknesses and listens to feedback and then enhances training to improve the ability to grow.
- Communication: Communicates effectively with stakeholders on goals, plans and issues and seeks feedback and advice before acting. Provides a clear message.
- Connector: Makes strong connections in the community and the Scandi family.
- Customer Focus: Being successful means continuously paying attention to customer needs and adapting as these evolve. Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer centric solutions.
- Decision Quality: Good decisions are based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement. Making quality decisions while working in an environment where ambiguity and uncertainty are the norm.
- Relationship with Stakeholders: Builds trusting relationships with stakeholders by being open in the sharing and receiving of information and sees these groups as partners in furthering organizational goals. Proactively seeks partnership and collaboration with clients to ensure long-term strategic success.
- Strong Leadership: Provides the coaching, support, encouragement and direction required to engage and empower employees in the accomplishment of personal, departmental, and organizational goals and objectives. Models’ positive leadership behaviors and maintains professionalism under pressure and uncertainty. Provides timely feedback and guidance to employees, ensuring their development and success is supported.
- Team Player: Understands their role and shares in the team’s successes and challenges. Creates an environment where people can talk objectively without emotion interfering. Willingness to help members of the team when needed.
The Scandinavian Building Services is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and is essential to service excellence. Scandinavian Building Services welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with the provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Optimum Talent and Scandinavian Building Services throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AYGK-514704 Vice President, Operations (Western Canada) – Scandinavian Building Services - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.