Vice President, Operations – The Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board (SWCB)
The Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board (SWCB) has a legislated mandate to deliver workplace insurance to Saskatchewan employers and benefits to Saskatchewan workers if they are hurt at work. The SWCB is governed by a three-person, full-time Board of Directors (BoD). The Chief Executive Officer reports to the BoD and is supported by an executive team of five.
Anchored by the Meredith Principles, the vision of the SWCB is to eliminate injuries and restore abilities. Their mission is to be a customer-centric organization that continuously seeks to add value for their customers through a culture of Continuous Process Improvement. SWCB values guide their actions and decisions:
- Safety – we relentlessly pursue Mission: Zero ensuring all employees have the healthy and safe workplace they deserve
- Respect for People – we recognize the value and worth of each individual and their contribution to our success and we treat everyone in an open, honest and dignified way
- Excellence – we strive for perfection and seek improvement and innovation every day in how we carry out our work in service of our customers
- Collaboration – we work hand-in-hand with our partners and with our customers to deliver on their expectations and meet their needs
- Customer Focused – we create an exceptional experience for all our customers and we bring their perspective to the forefront of our conversations and improvement efforts
The SWCB has distinguished itself as a high performing organization relative to its peers across Canada. The organization is recognized as a Top 100 Employer with approximately 450 team members located in Regina (420) and Saskatoon (90) who provide a wide range of programs and services to employers and injured workers. According to the 2019 annual report, the SWCB continues to achieve strong financial performance and remains fully funded, with sufficient assets to cover the future costs of all claims in the system. However, significant room for improvement remains!
The SWCB has built a foundation for this financial and organizational performance by taking a strategic, risk-aware approach to its development, setting targets and measuring success through its corporate true north objectives SWCB leadership have been engaged in a relentless pursuit to improve the WCB customer experience. This transformation continues to involve both a personal and organizational shift to a culture of continuous process improvement (CPI) that focuses on providing an exceptional experience for all of their staff and customers. Recently, affecting the customer experience positively through building and strengthening SWCB culture has been, and will continue to be, their focus in fulfilling the SWCB mission. SWCB leadership have been striving to advance their culture through the development of processes and systems that will drive the ideal behaviours that they believe will ultimately achieve meaningful, lasting results.
The Chief Executive Officer, in consultation with the Board and executive team members, has concluded that the future success of the organization depends on transformation of their core systems and processes. The essence of this business transformation program is to combine a new model of delivering services and value to customers and stakeholders in addition to the replacement of core Claims and Employer systems and enhancements to the HR and Financial systems. These solutions will enable new ways of interacting with customers and new ways of doing business.
You can learn more about the Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board by visiting www.wcbsask.com .
|Job Title:||Vice President, Operations|
|Reports to:||Chief Executive Officer|
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Vice-President, Operations provides executive leadership to claims adjudication, case management, vocational rehabilitation and related health and medical care services and programs. He/she partners with other executive leaders in ensuring the continuous improvement of processes, programs and services in support of WCB’s mission and vision.
As a customer-centric leader, the Vice-President, Operations will lead and sponsor the transformation of current service delivery models & enabling systems within the division; partnering with other business leaders to identify and advance opportunities for innovation and excellence in service delivery, achieve business objectives, and improve operational performance.
The Vice-President Operations role is the executive sponsor of this core transformation. The successful candidate is someone who is a proven, naturally curious and accountable leader who is clearly an expert in the scope of this role; who thrives in a culture of continuous improvement; is an effective steward of their organization’s people and resources; and leads their team, with passion and confidence through transformation and toward a sustainable future.
- Be a champion of and steward for a transformation that improves worker outcomes, enhances customer service, and reduces long-term costs to the overall compensation system.
- Works collaboratively with other members of the Executive team and Board of Directors, external suppliers, stakeholders and partners, as required.
- As a member of the Executive Management Team, contributes to the achievement of WCB’s vision/mission and goals through active participation and collaboration in strategic, capital as well as operational planning and deployment; and, through the alignment and enablement of his/her directly reporting departments.
- Engages with WCBs in other jurisdictions nationally and internationally to share information and continuously improve upon processes and enabling technology.
- Contributes to the task of enhancing and protecting the image of the SWCB with all its publics.
- Contributes to and persistently promotes a culture of safety across the organization, in support of efforts to achieve Mission: Zero.
- Directs, supports, and/or participates in the development and maintenance of Business Continuity Plan, ensuring plan is complete and current.
Provide leadership & insight that enables SWCB performance:
- Provide vision and leadership to the development and delivery of services and programs that enable and facilitate the timely restoration of abilities for all who suffer workplace injuries.
- Meet the needs of injured workers and their employers through the provision for quality, timely, cost-effective, co-ordinated and comprehensive disability prevention, rehabilitation and return-to-work while complying with our legislative and policy obligations.
- Ensures deep collaboration within the division and with other areas of the business to ensure results and deliverables for internal and external customers/partners meets needs and exceed expectations.
- Ensure that the WCB understands and responds to the needs and concerns all stakeholders by developing and maintaining ongoing communications with employer, labour and government personnel as appropriate.
- Individually embodies and role models behaviors that contribute to a safe workplace and achieving Mission: Zero at SWCB
- Provide and model effective change leadership.
- Contribute to sound financial management through the development and implementation of division strategic, capital and operating plans and budgets that are aligned with and support corporate plans taking action relative to variances as necessary.
- Ensures maximum individual and team performance, technical competence and succession management through acquiring, organizing, developing and motivating division personnel and the continual promotion of management excellence.
- Oversees the implementation and maintenance of the daily management system and improvement events within the division with a focus on performance and accountability.
- Demonstrate, and coach in others, the behaviors, values and processes that best support WCB’s desired culture.
Opportunities and Challenges
- Heavily influence and impact the top strategic business and risk priorities for SWCB.
- Provide transformational leadership that modernizes WCB customer service delivery, focusing on injured worker recovery, disability prevention, and return to work.
- Connect with thought leaders and best-practice organizations and lead thoughtful application of learning to SWCB where appropriate to capture potential value.
- Join an organization that is passionate about disability prevention, workplace health and safety and Mission: Zero mandate.
- Play a significant transformation leadership role which will positively impact worker and employer experience and outcomes.
- Opportunities for personal growth and development of self and others.
- Be a part of a leadership team strives to create a culture and work environment that provides purpose and meaning for their people, enabling staff to attain their collective vision, engaging them in identifying opportunities to improve their processes and ultimately empowering them to make meaningful changes in service of their customers.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build effective, collaborative relationships with CEO and executive peers, senior management teams and key customers.
- Advance the business transformation project portfolio on time, within budget and through the realization of benefits.
- Build organizational capacity through improved processes and procedures building upon the organization’s standards and professionalism ensuring that change is introduced in a thoughtful and disciplined manner.
- Positively contribute to the organization; is respectful of colleagues and has the respect of his / her downline and external stakeholders.
- Build and develop team capacity through professional development and career growth.
- Implement and monitor the continuous improvement systems including the Daily Management System within respective areas of responsibility.
- Education in business, public administration or related field at the post-secondary or graduate level.
- Extensive experience in a senior management position with focused experience on change/transformation leadership mandates.
- Proven to work collaboratively with diverse leaders, communicate business transformation vision and strategies across all levels of the organization, build consensus around and rally strong support for execution of key initiatives and projects.
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience that result in the required level of knowledge, skill and competence, may be considered.
Competencies and Attributes
- Naturally curious, demonstrates exceptional ideation, analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Possesses exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written; able to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; can handle the unexpected with flexibility.
- Exceptional commitment to continuous improvement and drives positive accountability for performance.
- A team-player who favors collaborative approaches when working with internal and external partners.
- Customer Service Orientation – uses a long-term perspective.
- Strategic Orientation – plans actions to fit strategy and external events.
- Achievement Orientation – a tendency towards action based on solid risk analysis.
- Co-operation & Organizational Teamwork – builds team spirit and promotes silo-busting.
- Interpersonal Relations – adjusts behavior and responds appropriately and professionally.
- Problem-Solving / Decision-Making – makes tough decisions, resolves complex issues.
- Organizational awareness – understands and addresses the reasons for organizational behavior or the underlying problems, opportunities or political forces affecting the organization.
- Team Leadership – supports and operationalizes the SWCB’s vision.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AJML-641232 Vice President, Operations – The Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board (SWCB) - SK - Regina (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.