Vice President Information Technology and Project Management Office, Saputo
Saputo produces, markets, and distributes a wide array of dairy products of the utmost quality, including cheese, fluid milk, extended shelf-life milk and cream products, cultured products and dairy ingredients. Saputo is one of the top ten dairy processors in the world, the largest cheese manufacturer and the leading fluid milk and cream processors in Canada, the leading dairy processor in Australia and one of the top three in Australia. In the US, Saputo ranks among the top three cheese producers and is one of the largest producers of extended shelf-life and cultured dairy products. Saputo Inc. is headquartered in Montreal and operates on a global basis with a highly decentralized organizational structure and operating philosophy. The global business is currently structured as six autonomous divisions, each headed-up by a President and Chief Operating Officer, with full responsibility for all functional areas as well as topline and bottom-line performance. Saputo Inc. is a publicly traded company and its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol “SAP”.
In the 2014 to 2015 timeframe, Saputo embarked on an ambitious project to convert a distributed IT organization to a centralized one, which ultimately resulted in the approval of a global SAP implementation. This complex project has now been underway since 2015 and the project team has had numerous successful “go live” implementations in various divisions internationally. There remains several divisions to be implemented for all functional areas within the divisions’ operations and the mandate of the PMO remains crucial to the project’s ongoing success. The entire project team is now comprised of approximately 320 people around the world. To date this project has been deemed to be highly successful by all standards of measurement, however it still requires outstanding leadership over the next few years of implementation within the remaining operating divisions.
As a result of recent changes in structure through various succession planning initiatives, the current incumbent VP IT and PMO will be assigned to a different portfolio.
THE ROLE OF VICE PRESIDENT INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND PMO
The Project Management Office (“PMO”) has now been established for approximately four years and is clearly a core function within the global SAP implementation. The PMO is staffed by approximately 25 people with three Directors reporting directly to the Vice President IT & PMO. The core team is located in Montreal while other members of the PMO are based in the US and Australia. Over the last five years, the PMO has not only grown in numbers but has established itself as a world-class PMO by virtually all operating standards. The team has been characterized by its stability, maturity and best in class technical expertise in the field of project management. Today, the company operates with well-established methodologies and processes as well as well-defined performance measurement tools and a reputation for working with the operating divisions and meeting time deadlines and budget targets.
The Vice President IT and PMO reports directly to the CIO. The individual in this role will be expected to lead the PMO staff in continuing to provide outstanding levels of service within a highly disciplined professional environment. That being said, areas such as staffing and upgrading the level of technical expertise will be an ongoing challenge as well as continually fine-tuning and modifying the business processes and methodologies currently in place to meet the needs of an ever-changing and growing corporation.
The Vice President IT and PMO will in fact act as a “ Second in Command “ to the CIO and will therefore participate considerably in more corporate wide functions with considerable interaction at the more global level with the Audit Committee, Sponsors, Governance as well as financial review for the entire global project. There are four key areas of responsibility ultimately reporting to this position:
Project Management Office
- Responsible for building and managing the project/program management office/function for IT. Defines and develops enterprise wide IT project/program management practices, governance standards, processes and metrics.
- Ensures projects/programs are defined, tracked and communicated in a consistent and effective manner. Incorporates effective change and risk management controls.
- Partners with IT and business leadership and other key stakeholders to define opportunities, to identify and prioritize projects based on predefined criteria (return on investment, productivity, compliance).
- Directs project/program managers with business case development.
- Responsible for ensuring all projects within IT portfolios/programs are delivered on time, within budget and to an agreed quality level.
Change and Learning
- Responsible for supporting the delivery of IT enabled processes and strategic change initiatives.
- Works with cross-functional IT and business teams to document IT enabled business processes and procedures utilizing best practices and industry standard frameworks.
- Provides insight and advice on formalizing emerging processes and controls.
- Ensures seamless execution of all IT related process improvement/change activities across the organization by applying process improvement and change management methodologies, communication planning, organizational readiness assessment, and stakeholder analysis.
- Responsible for managing the definition, implementation, and integration of quality principles and quality processes into the design and development/configuration of software and IT enabled processes.
- Ensures that quality methods and procedures are executed, and products, applications, and systems comply with established quality standards that meet customer requirements.
- Responsible for directing the Release Management lifecycle which includes scheduling, coordination, and management of releases across the enterprise for multiple IT systems across various portfolios.
- The ideal candidate for this position should be fluently bilingual, and Montreal-based.
- This individual will possess an appropriate educational background, such as a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in Information Technology or other related fields.
- Project Management Certification (i.e., PMP) is highly desirable. It is imperative that candidates bring hands-on experience in having led and managed a PMO within the context of a significant Tier One ERP, namely SAP or Oracle.
- This experience will have been gained within an organization of significant scale and complexity and ideally within related sectors characterized by multi-plant manufacturing, complex supply chain environments, and international scope.
- To be successful in the role, the candidate will not only bring the experience in project and program management but will possess superior leadership and relationship management skills.
Some of the key competencies that are required include:
- Candidates must demonstrate a successful track record of having recruited, integrated and led multifunctional teams within a project environment.
- In addition to this, candidates must clearly demonstrate the ability to influence and manage via non-authority leadership.
- Candidates must combine a certain executive presence with strong team leadership, as well as an ability to collaborate and influence at all levels of the organization and across multiple divisions.
- The ideal candidate will bring strong financial acumen gained through the successful realization of multimillion-dollar IT projects.
- Candidates must combine their financial acumen with in-depth understanding of business processes and how they interrelate within a global manufacturing business.
- Candidates must combine outstanding rigor and discipline needed for implementation, outstanding analytical skills, as well as a strong strategic perspective.
- The ideal candidate should combine an appropriate educational background with strong technical skills gained through the hands-on implementation of a significant Tier one ERP implementation (Oracle or SAP) with an established track record of having built and led a sizeable PMO.
- Candidates must have extensive knowledge and expertise in project/program management, portfolio management methodologies and tools.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A016337 (AODW-404363) Vice President Information Technology and Project Management Office, Saputo - QC - Montreal (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.