Vice President, Highways – Volker Stevin Canada
Volker Stevin Canada operates as a subsidiary of VolkerWessels. VolkerWessels operates primarily in the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, North America and Germany. Operationally, its business is organised in six segments. In the countries in which VolkerWessels operates it has over 120 local operating companies, which have national and regional offices and management.
Volker Stevin Canada and its subsidiaries across Western Canada are dedicated to providing the highest level of quality services in the areas of construction, project management, highway maintenance, civil works and bridge construction, maintenance and rehabilitation expertise, and asphalt/aggregate plants and pits.
In anticipation of our client’s needs, we strive to build and maintain long term relationships based on safety, quality, value, trust, and timely service. In addition to upholding professionalism, integrity, honesty, and fairness in our relationships with our clients, professional associates, subcontractors, and suppliers we ensure the longevity of the Company while sustaining growth and profitability.
Holding a moral obligation to a safe, environmentally responsible work environment we model safety excellence as our way of life – where individual professional growth is the foundation for company growth. Our culture of building and maintaining successful partnerships instills confidence in achieving both employee and client goals.
For more information on Volker Stevin and Volker Stevin Highways, please visit their website at www.volkerstevin.ca
Job Title: Vice President, Highways
Reports to: SVP/Chief Operating Officer
Direct Reports: General Manager (2 Volker & LDM)
Indirect Reports: 300-350 (Varies some with seasonality)
Location: Calgary, AB
As a member of the Corporation’s Canadian Executive Team and reporting to the SVP/Chief Operating Officer (SVP/COO), the Vice President (VP) provides leadership and strategic direction for the Volker Stevin Highways Ltd (which includes Lakes District Maintenance Inc “LDM”). as directed by the SVP/COO and Volker Stevin Canada umbrella (the Corporation). As a Director, the VP accepts the duties and liabilities in this position of trust and supports the building of an effective and sustainable organization through stewardship and corporate governance.
- Develop and implement Highways business strategy aligning with Company strategy
- Oversee Canadian Highways business operations (Volker Stevin in Alberta and LDM in British Columbia.) and set performance expectations to deliver on strategy
- Instill commitment to operational excellence, consistent and reliable execution of business strategy (lower risk, high engagement levels, lower costs, increased revenue)
- Regularly review outcomes with those tasked to deliver
- Ensure business complies with regulatory requirements and/or standards as stipulated by governments, regulators, industry bodies and Volker Vessels
- Maintain strong, constructive and trusting relationships with peers to generate organizational competency/capacity to drive alignment and superior performance
- Consciously develop Business Leaders individually and as a high performing cohesive team. Create conditions for delivering business objectives to succeed and thrive
- Cultivate relationships with governing and regulatory bodies to influence/facilitate understanding and support for projects embracing progressive philosophies
- Represent and enhance company brand through establishing, maintaining and developing key client and vendor relationships
- Keep SVP/COO informed of all matters of importance to the well-being of the business
- Lead the formulation and implementation of the Highway Business’ future direction, strategy, processes and supporting tactical initiatives
- Align Business goals with Company strategies. Ensure the Highways team understands these goals and the expectations to effectively deliver supporting initiatives
- Provide clear direction through the design and implementation of practical, validated business strategies
- Develop and approve budgets associated with the implementation of business plans
- Develop performance measures to ensure results continuously meet shareholder, client and other stakeholder expectations
- Support Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiatives to promote brand and maintain needed operating licenses
- Collaborate with sister businesses to exchange market knowledge and information in support of company success
- Provide recommendations to strategically enhance the organization’s financial business opportunities
Culture, Leadership and People Management:
- Model and promote behaviors (Trust, Commitment, Collaboration, Engagement, Accountability, and Results) to maximize employee engagement, build organizational alignment and support a Culture of Safety, Engagement, Operational Excellence, Environmental Responsibility and customer satisfaction
- Clarify expectations and align business goals with company strategies to provide team with clear objectives needed to follow-through on all relevant initiatives
- Provide visionary leadership, coaching and mentorship to lead and hold Business Leadership Team accountable
- Provide ongoing, real time, and relevant performance management feedback to direct reports and members Business Leadership team (including specific goals regarding organic growth). Positively acknowledge the contribution of others in achieving objectives
- Ensure ongoing talent assessments are conducted to address succession needs, opportunities and risks
- Support recognized career development routes for employee progression
- Ensure compensation practices (salaries, car allowances, bonuses) are aligned with company policy and philosophy
Business Performance and Operations:
- Set goals, monitor progress (KPIs) and evaluate results to ensure business success
- Drive efficient and effective operations through consistent application of best practices
- Ensure managers adopt programs and initiatives to include reportable measurements that impact the efficiency, productivity, and overall success of all divisions
- Manage business performance through operating and capex budgets, financial statements and reports
- Engage direct reports and key managers through direct interactions in key offices, job sites and safety meetings
- Be a change management proponent and champion in quest for continuous improvement
- Submit recommendations for TIS projects including risk analysis and bid strategy prior to applicable tender submissions
- Submit recommendations with justifications for any new or developmental capital
- Ensure business work towards unity to prevent the formation of “silos” by working with other lines of business and the organization to adopt corporate practices that support the “greater good”
- Identify, mitigate and manage key elements of the Business’ risk profile including strategic, compliance, operational, financial and reputational
- Maintain awareness of key legal and claim issues involving the business and introduce applicable liability mitigations
- Ensure business complies with legal and regulatory requirements and company policy
- Report risk issues to the SVP/COO, Executive team and Directors
- Review risk assessments from external auditors and Risk Manager and implement recommendations as required
- Oversee the application of environmental policy within the Business
Market Position & Customer Service:
- Build strong partner relationship with key internal and external stakeholders
- Actively identify, communicate and follow through on relevant Business opportunities
- Represent company in a professional, helpful, and confidential manner
- Communicate transparently with customers applying a solution driven focus
- Visibly commit to safety excellence by modelling Safety Culture behaviours and participating in Safety Communications, Meetings and training as required.
- Continuously engage senior business leadership regarding safety leadership, initiatives, activities and successes.
- Promote the development and compliance to Environmental and Safety policies and procedures within the business.
- Support a Respectful Workplace environment.
- Provide positive recognition of safety as a way of life.
- Monitor monthly business safety stats and incidents for trends and risks. Apply appropriate response for mitigation and improvement.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Gain in depth understanding of Company and Highway business in AB- Volker & BC- LDM (strategies, projects, performance, structure, opportunities, challenges)
- Optimize synergies between Volker and LDM’s processes as well as Corporate services
- Focus on growth opportunities within the BC market
- Continue mobilization efforts in new and current areas to maintain contracts within AB
- Meet with key customers and potential clients to understand level of satisfaction, expectations and opportunities- with a focus on ensuring quality scores
- Navigate and develop key relationships (internal/external – competitors, associations etc.)
- Assess and develop key strengths in the team with a plan to raise overall bench strength
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Degree in Business or another related field
- Proven leader in developing cohesive cultures and high-performing teams
- Experience developing strategy for growth in a complex business environment and translating into actionable plans
- Strong business acumen combined with 10+ years operational leadership experience
- Significant knowledge and experience in Highway Maintenance, Construction and/or Infrastructure Asset (contract management, operations management, and organizational effectiveness)
- Experience providing leadership to a complex team with variety of technical and business expertise
- Previous partnering with, and working in a Senior Leadership and Executive team
- Proven strong communication skills with results to support high level of influence
Competencies and Attributes
- Demonstrates impeccable character with commitment values, genuine approachability, humility and integrity
- Ability to champion the corporate culture and be an agent of change as needed
- Demonstrates ability to communicate clearly, balancing assertiveness and diplomacy as part of a well-developed Emotional Intelligence attribute
- Values building strong relationships based on honest, open and constructive communication
- Demonstrates creativity and willingness to question conventional approaches, explore alternatives, and respond to challenges with innovative solutions or services
- Works collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create, model and lead a results-driven, team-oriented environment
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AEFL-682565 Vice President, Highways – Volker Stevin Canada - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.