Vice President, Finance & Accounting | Northern Development & Investment Group
Northern Development & Investment Group Inc. (“NDIG”) is a fully integrated commercial real estate investment and development company based in Edmonton, Alberta, with a portfolio of retail, industrial and agri-business properties across Alberta. The portfolio is diversified, stable, and profitable.
NDIG is a private business owned by two entrepreneurial families that originally settled in Northern Alberta over a century ago and have been committed to sustainable economic development in Alberta. NDIG started as one of many small businesses their families have owned and operated in this province. They are proud to have consistently held themselves to the highest standards of integrity, excellence, and performance in partnering with employees, clients, partners, and suppliers.
- The Golden Rule: Treat others as you wish to be treated – with honesty, dignity, and respect.
- Putting Customers’ Needs First: Focus first and foremost on serving the needs of our customers in a professional and timely manner.
- Integrity: Being ethically unyielding and honest. Inspiring trust by saying what we mean and matching our behaviours to our worlds.
- Accountability: The willingness to take responsibility for one’s own actions.
- Collaboration and Learning: Fostering a collaborative and mutually supportive work environment. Allowing everyone to voice their opinion, seek new opportunities, to learn, to improve, to teach and to add value.
- Stewardship: Fulfilling our obligation of building a better and more durable company for future employees. Meeting our commitments to our stakeholders, and of protecting the brand of the Company.
For more information, please visit: https://northerndevelopments.com/
|Indirect Reports:||4 – (1) Property Manager, (2) Building and Operations, (1) Administrative|
Reporting to the President, the Vice President, Finance & Accounting is a newly created senior leadership role at NDIG. As NDIG continues to grow, the company is seeking strong financial leadership to support the pursuit and development of new commercial sites. To achieve desired growth and long-term viability, the candidate will build an engaged and efficient finance and accounting team.
The Vice President, Finance & Accounting is a dynamic role that will provide strategic direction and counsel on a number of complex business issues. As a key member of the leadership team, the successful candidate will participate in the development conversation and contribute to the execution of the overall strategy, but more specifically the finance plan.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for monitoring the financial performance of the organization, as well as building out financing and capital requirements, which includes identifying equity capital and joint venture partnership opportunities. They will oversee all financial aspects of the development projects and will play a critical role in ensuring that projects run smoothly, from the initial construction financing and planning stages, through to project completion and permanent financing. They will also be responsible for identifying and pursuing new financing and investment strategies along with refinancing opportunities and accounting oversight within the existing projects.
Day to day, the successful candidate’s responsibilities include risk management and compliance, treasury, consolidated financial reporting, cash flow management, maintaining the integrity of funds and securities, all short and long range planning, and investment activities. Finally, the Vice President, Finance & Accounting will develop and ensure NDIG maintains a sound financial structure ensuring all corporate objectives, policies, programs and practices support the achievement of strategic goals.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Along with the President and Vice President, Development and Construction, collaborate on strategy development to help guide the organization forward in both the short and long term;
- Develop and execute a finance strategy that will achieve the organization’s growth objectives;
- Identify and pursue equity capital and joint venture partnership opportunities;
- Assess financial performance and develop benchmarks to evaluate financial performance;
- Ensure cash resources are managed effectively, both working capital and long-term growth initiatives;
- Build and maintain a network of excellent working relationships with financial institutions and third-party lenders;
- Assemble comprehensive financial packages for project funding and re-financing;
- Prepare capital budgets for corporate cash flow;
- Coordinate with the President in presenting the financial performance of the organization to the Board of Directors and Shareholders;
- Support Shareholder financial planning and insurance reviews; and
- Advise on Shareholder remuneration including salaries, taxable dividends and capital dividends.
- Oversee, review and approve the day-to-day accounting and financial operations including cash/treasury management functions and monthly cash flow reports, variance analyses and forecasts;
- Oversee the preparation and analyze cash flow reports, cost controls, expense, and financial statements to pinpoint potential areas of exposure;
- Review and approve monthly cash flow reports, variance analyses and forecasts, quarterly corporate tax pro-forma calculations, and third-party reporting to external stakeholders;
- Manage external stakeholder relationships such as advisors and auditors including planning, fee discussions, year end process and the execution of corporate requirements (i.e. tax, estate, banking, CRA, Financing, and insurance); and
- Ensure establishment and commitment to strong internal controls across the organization.
- The Vice President, Finance & Accounting will have the opportunity to build the finance strategy that will help shape the future of the organization;
- Develop a high performing finance and accounting team;
- NDIG is a well-established organization with a track record of exceptional business performance;
- NDIG is executing a strategy to pursue growth across western Canada;
- NDIG’s portfolio and low vacancy rate and are top of the class for their industry; and
- NDIG believes that those who produce should share the rewards.
First Year Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Firmly establish themselves as a trusted advisor and team player with the President and within the leadership team;
- Become an active contributor to the team’s strategic planning process and operational execution plans;
- Develop a comprehensive finance strategy that will achieve the organization’s growth objectives;
- Equip the organization with the financial leadership and technical competencies, processes and accountabilities to grow/achieve NDIG’s strategy;
- Develop and lead a finance and accounting team under one common reporting structure and establish consistent internal and external management reporting;
- Drive organizational culture and value set that aligns with, and supports, the performance of the company and which sustains or enhances the market reputation of NDIG;
- Provide leadership to ensure the implementation of the new Yardi Breeze property management software system is completed, including the planning and enactment of new business processes as required, and the commencement of a project to install a new corporate accounting system;
- Manage business risk to protect the assets of the company; and
- Drive corporate improvement with the implementation of stronger controls and processes.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business (not required but preferred); and
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) and/or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation with membership in good standing.
- 10-15 years of finance management and managerial with at least the last 5-7 years in a senior management capacity;
- Recent experience scaling an accounting and finance division into a contemporary, high functioning structure;
- Track record of successfully identifying equity capital and joint venture partnership opportunities;
- Experience working in a smaller, but growing, private commercial development company environment;
- Experience in a commercial development business with activity-based project costing;
- Strong financial modeling background, in either Argus or Excel, is preferred;
- Demonstrated experience with creation and implementation of short- and long-term budgeting and forecasting, rolling budgets, and product-line profitability analysis;
- Merger and acquisition finance and integration experience; and
- Proven experience working with ERP’s to strengthen financial management.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and exercise creativity in building out short and long term financial plans;
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail, ability to prioritize and meet routines and deadlines;
- Possesses a strong knowledge of accounting and finance fundamentals;
- An excellent understanding of financing related to commercial development;
- An engaging and friendly personality;
- Strong collaboration skills and the willingness to be open to new ideas;
- Entrepreneurial, able to move quickly and adept at seeing opportunities;
- Strong relationship development and management skills;
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects and shifting priorities;
- Exceptional communication skills and self-awareness;
- Results oriented and forward thinking;
- Positive attitude and a dedicated and committed team player;
- Self-determined with a high degree of emotional intelligence;
- Strong business acumen with the ability to think both critically and analytically; and
- A passion for the business and desire to yield exceptional results.
NDIG is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and is essential to service excellence. NDIG welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with the provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and NDIG throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: HRCCCanada.GBS.EdmontonES@ajg.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ARFE-582468 Vice President, Finance & Accounting | Northern Development & Investment Group - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.