Supervisor, Corporate Services & Treasury – Calgary Board of Education
The Calgary Board of Education (“CBE”) is one of Canada’s largest school systems educating more than 123,000 students in 249 schools and has responsibility for an annual budget of approximately $1.4B. More than 14,000 employees work together to provide learning as unique as every student.
The work is guided by a Three-Year Education Plan, which connects each CBE employee to student success. This creates an environment where each student can become an engaged learner, prepared for success in life, work and future learning.
The CBE is guided by an elected board of seven trustees. Trustees are elected every four years during the municipal election along with Calgary’s mayor and councillors. Day-to-day operations are led by a team of superintendents who are responsible for meeting the expectations of the Board of Trustees as set out in their Results policies, Operational Expectations and the Chief Superintendent’s annual summative evaluation.
Each student, in keeping with their individual abilities and gifts, will complete high school with a foundation of learning necessary to thrive in life, work and continued learning.
Students come first
Learning is our central purpose
Public education serves the common good
For further information about Calgary Board of Education, please visit their website at http://www.cbe.ab.ca
|Job Title:||Supervisor, Corporate Services and Treasury|
|Reports to:||Manager, Revenue and Treasury|
|Direct Reports:||3 – Treasury Accountant, Grants/Revenue Specialist, Funding Compliance Specialist|
Reporting to the Manager, Revenue and Treasury, this position is responsible for the planning, organization and administration of the Corporate Services/Treasury Work Unit. The Supervisor fulfils the key role in the development and implementation of systems for the collection and maximization of corporate revenues (federal, provincial and external), the forecasting and reporting of corporate cash flows, and the recommendations regarding funding for capital and operating needs. The Supervisor provides advice and assistance to management and serves as a liaison with external agencies, including governments, in all matters described above.
- Manages and provides proactive leadership and mentoring to staff in the Corporate Services/Treasury Work Unit. Evaluates user needs and determines resources needed to fulfil them
- Plans and establishes goals and objectives and overall coordination of the Corporate Services/Treasury Work Unit
- Selects or approves the appointment of staff for the department. Establishes standards of performance, directs staff training and monitors an overall employee program. Provides leadership to the department to foster staff morale. Carries out disciplinary actions as required
- Establishes an appropriate internal control framework for the work unit to operate in. Ensures proper segregation of duties and implementation of appropriate preventative / detective internal controls with the goal to safeguard Calgary Board of Education (CSE) assets
- Ensures the preparation of the Corporate Services/Treasury Work Unit budget working papers and schedules for ad hoc, monthly updates and those included in the Approved and Fall Budget Update for all areas of Corporate Services/Treasury and for any related reporting presented to the Board of Trustees, Administration and other agencies
- Ensures that reporting falls within the proper guidelines of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Public Standards Accounting Board (PSAB)
- Provides regular reports on corporate cash flows to management to allow for timely decision making
- Recommends the use of CBE’s borrowing instruments, including its operating line, as required
- Ensures the preparation of Corporate Services/Treasury Work Unit working papers and schedules for ad hoc, monthly reports and those included in Alberta Education Audited Financial Statements and other related financial reports for all areas of Corporate Services/Treasury presented to the Board of Trustees, Administration and other agencies. Ensures that accounts receivable and unearned revenue falls within the proper guidelines of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Public Standards Accounting Board (PSAB)
- Leads the preparation of the annual corporate revenue budget annually for the CBE, including:
- estimating, compiling figures and analyzing the current budget, projections
- calculating the enrolment and determining the additional funding based on special needs including disabilities, English as a Second Language and other differential funding framework factors
- forecasting future revenues based on estimated future enrolment demographics and preparing enrolment statistics for the Alberta Government
- monitoring of the revenue budget, revising as necessary, and preparing variance analysis and other revenue reports
- Directs the preparation of the Corporate Services/Treasury sections of the Government Reporting Entity (GRE) financial statement package for the CBE fiscal year end date of August 31 and provincial government year end date of March 31
- Reviews and advises on grant claim submissions and directs others, when necessary, on grant claim submissions and required reports of expenditures tied to targeted grant revenues, ensuring compliance with government and reporting regulations. Ensures revenue is received and allocated in the correct fiscal year. This includes but is not limited to Institutional funding, Program Unit Funding, etc., and special projects as required on an ongoing basis.
- Reviews and investigates all Alberta Education revenue adjustments and determines necessary follow-up action. Follow up includes dealing with appropriate government representatives to determine the basis of the adjustment(s). Notifies management and school administrators to change procedures for future grant maximization
- Analyzes enrolment data, Credit Enrolment Units (CEU’s) and other supporting data to prepare quarterly financial reports and to forecast year-end revenues. This data is also used in the planning and adjustment of the current year budget
- Reviews and approves on behalf of the Secretary-Treasurer, submissions to support grant funding as required, including provision of student information related to Provincial audits
- Interprets the Alberta Education Funding Manual to ensure all relevant grants are being accessed and to ensure CSE is in compliance with Alberta Education requirements. Maintains current knowledge of provincial, federal and other funding available to the CSE and ensures the appropriate procedures are in place to access these grants and to facilitate planning. Monitors and follows up on other sources of funding including contracts and agreements.
- Supervises the submission, recording and reporting of all payroll related matters
- Maintains current knowledge of Canada Revenue Agency legislation on donations to ensure adherence to changes in regulations
- Represents the CBE with provincial and federal government departments and other agencies on policy and procedures related to the Corporate Services/Treasury Work Unit
- Acts as primary contact in the Corporate Services/Treasury area for external auditor’s field staff
- Acts on behalf of the Manager, Revenue and Treasury, as needed
- Performs other related duties as assigned
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Foresee and provide the appropriate information needed by Senior Management, Service Units and School Leaders
- Represent the Calgary Board of Education while working closely with the Alberta Government on the current pilot ERP system project
- Work closely with Human Resources in relation to the Alberta Government ERP system project as it pertains to payroll
- Work closely with Human Resources to redesign financial support for payroll and benefits disbursements to enhance efficiency and effectiveness
- Support the team in successfully implementing upgrades to the main ERP and reporting systems
- Be seen as a strong communicator and successfully build strong working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
The successful candidate will have the following:
- University degree in a business-related discipline and a current Chartered Professional Accounting designation
- Five years progressively more responsible accounting experience, preferably including several years of supervisory experience in a public sector and unionized environment
- An equivalent combination of directly related post-secondary education and directly related experience may be considered
Competencies and Attributes
- Well-developed organizational, planning and leadership abilities
- Initiative and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated, receptive and adaptable to changing demands and priorities in the work place
- Ability to work consistently in a setting that has a very high volume workload and short timelines
- Ability to develop working relationships with technical, professional and operating staff
- Strong analytical skills and ability to prepare financial reports and forecasts
- Strong working knowledge and skills in word processing, spreadsheet and database software applications
- Familiarity with the use of large complex computerized financial (including budgeting, forecasting and reporting applications) and other information systems
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential issues in a tactful manner
- Ability to respect and value all individuals combined with a sensitivity to diversity
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AOST-061557 Supervisor, Corporate Services & Treasury – Calgary Board of Education - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.