Superintendent, School Improvement – Calgary Board of Education
The Calgary Board of Education (“CBE”) is one of Canada’s largest school systems educating more than 123,000 students in 249 schools and has responsibility for an annual budget of approximately $1.4B. More than 14,000 employees work together to provide learning as unique as every student.
The work is guided by a Three-Year Education Plan, which connects each CBE employee to student success. This creates an environment where each student can become an engaged learner, prepared for success in life, work and future learning.
The CBE is guided by an elected board of seven trustees. Trustees are elected every four years during the municipal election along with Calgary’s mayor and councilors. Day-to-day operations are led by a team of superintendents who are responsible for meeting the expectations of the Board of Trustees as set out in their Results policies, Operational Expectations and the Chief Superintendent’s annual summative evaluation.
Each student, in keeping with their individual abilities and gifts, will complete high school with a foundation of learning necessary to thrive in life, work and continued learning.
Students come first
Learning is our central purpose
Public education serves the common good
For further information about Calgary Board of Education, please visit their website at http://www.cbe.ab.ca
Job Title: Superintendent, School Improvement
Reports to: Chief Superintendent
Direct Reports: Six to eight Education Directors
Reporting to the Chief Superintendent, the Superintendent of School Improvement will provide strategic leadership and support to Education Directors, other service unit leaders and schools in executing the CBE Three-Year Education Plan through ongoing monitoring, assessing, and reporting of results consistent with the Board’s accountability requirements.
Improving student achievement, closing achievement gaps, supporting student and staff well-being and reducing inequity amongst student populations are key success factors.
Fulfilling this mandate requires an exceptional educator who:
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to student success – achievement, equity and well-being
- Has experience leading improvement at the district level through research and data-driven practice, collaboration, and creative problem-solving
- Is relentless in the pursuit of excellence and success for students and staff
- Has a deep knowledge in pedagogy and assessment practices and can engage system leaders in the work of school improvement to ensure success for each student, every day, without exceptions.
- Is able to collaborate across functional areas to advance system level objectives.
As one of two Superintendents of School Improvement, in addition to supporting six to eight Education Directors with daily operational support, the areas of focus will include:
- Working annually with Superintendent’s Team, Education Directors and other system and service unit leaders to develop/update and implement the Three-Year Education Plan with a consistent and sharp focus on improving student achievement, equity and well-being
- Working with Education Directors to monitor the development and implementation of School Development Plans at predetermined intervals throughout the school year
- In collaboration with the other Superintendent of School Improvement, responsible for several strategic priorities including but not limited to; K-12 Curriculum & Assessment, Reporting, Research and Strategy; and district-wide commitments including the Indigenous Education Strategy, High School Success, Mathematics Strategy, Literacy, Mental Health and Wellbeing.
- Working with Education Directors and service unit leaders to ensure success of actions taken with respect to their system wide portfolio accountabilities
- Building professional capital of system leaders and other staff through meaningful learning, engagement and collaboration
- Other duties as assigned
The successful candidate will have the following:
- An advanced degree in education
- Successful track record as a senior district leader at a public school board
- Proven leadership of district strategic priorities, including leading coherence and integrating innovation and implementation
- Successful leadership and decision-making to achieve positive outcomes amidst multiple objectives and interests
- Permanent Alberta Teacher’s Certification or eligible to apply for certification in Alberta
Competencies and Attributes
- Superior interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- The ability to build and support high performing teams
- Strong knowledge of research informed and evidence-based high impact instructional strategies
- The ability to make difficult decisions when necessary and to frame issues and determine next steps to achieve positive and timely results
- Ability to develop and sustain positive working relationships and to problem-solve with staff, parents/guardians, trustees and stakeholders
Competition closes at 5 p.m. on April 19, 2019
Interviews will take place with week of April 22, 2019
An eligibility list may be created for the purposes of staffing a future Superintendent, School Improvement position
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AMPE-266643 Superintendent, School Improvement – Calgary Board of Education - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.