Superintendent Human Resources – Calgary Board of Education
The Calgary Board of Education (“CBE”) is one of Canada’s largest school systems educating more than 123,000 students in 249 schools and has responsibility for an annual budget of approximately $1.4B. More than 14,000 employees work together to provide learning as unique as every student.
The work is guided by a Three-Year Education Plan, which connects each CBE employee to student success. This creates an environment where each student can become an engaged learner, prepared for success in life, work and future learning.
The CBE is guided by an elected board of seven trustees. Trustees are elected every four years during the municipal election along with Calgary’s mayor and councilors. Day-to-day operations are led by a team of superintendents who are responsible for meeting the expectations of the Board of Trustees as set out in their Results policies, Operational Expectations and the Chief Superintendent’s annual summative evaluation.
Each student, in keeping with their individual abilities and gifts, will complete high school with a foundation of learning necessary to thrive in life, work and continued learning.
Students come first
Learning is our central purpose
Public education serves the common good
For further information about Calgary Board of Education, please visit their website at http://www.cbe.ab.ca
Job Title: Superintendent – Human Resources
Reports to: Chief Superintendent
Reporting to the Chief Superintendent, the Superintendent, Human Resources is a key member of the Superintendent Leadership Team and provides strategic leadership in the planning, evaluating, and implementing of human resource initiatives, processes, policies and procedures. As a trusted member of the executive team, the Superintendent, Human Resources will be a key contributor to the development and execution of the business plan and a trusted partner to all members of the leadership team.
In an environment of 14,000 staff in over 250 locations across the City of Calgary, approximately 97% of staff represented by 5 collective agreements, and a collaborative, matrix based leadership model, the Superintendent Human Resources will be charged with creating a comprehensive people strategy that links to the overall plan of the organization. The overall budget of the HR function is just over $14M, as well, the HR department stewards the corporate budget for a range of programs established by collective agreements as well as the pay roll system and this budget is an additional $11M. The total HR staff compliment is 110 or one HR professional per 127 employee which is in keeping with the lean, high performance management approach required to ensure the focus of the organization remains on student achievement and success. The overall budget of the CBE is $1.4 B and approximately 77% of this is in salaries and benefits.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Provides expert advice and recommendations to the CBE Superintendent Leadership team, Trustees and other senior leaders on a wide array of complex human resources or related issues.
- Supports the Chief Superintendent in developing the overall organizational initiatives in collaboration with CBE Trustees, managing and implementing business plan objectives, and short- and long-term planning for deployment of resources and achieving the CBE’s vision.
- Provides advice to the Superintendent Leadership Team, Trustees and other senior leaders regarding collective agreements and policy interpretations, dispute resolution, discipline and other labor relations issues.
- In collaboration with senior leaders, develops and implements strategies to address HR trends and future workforce requirements, building leadership capacity and employee engagement.
- Develops strong internal relationships with the senior executive leadership team and be a trusted advisor with respect to people and strategy issues.
- Maintains and builds upon the CBE’s brand and image both internally and externally, enhancing CBE’s desirable employer brand.
- Collaborates with other members of the executive team to foster culture, consistently working to reinforce that culture across the organization.
Human Resource Leadership
- Proactively anticipates outcomes and their impact on the organization; ensures necessary HR initiatives are in place to enable organizational success.
- Leads the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of talent management and employee engagement strategies, including recruitment, onboarding, employee engagement, recognition and wellness programs.
- Develops new and revised HR policies, procedures and guidelines based on changes to legislation, CBE strategic direction and operations.
- Manages a comprehensive system of HR information and performance measures to support current and future needs and decisions regarding human resources planning and service delivery.
- Develops and maintains current knowledge regarding emerging issues, trends and legislative changes with respect to HR management in libraries and the public sector. Research, analyze and report on human resource issues which may impact CBE.
- Plans, develops, implements, evaluates and evolves a broad range of HR strategies and services, which support CBE’s strategic and business plans.
- Provides leadership, mentorship and coaching to a 110-member HR team who administer, advise and consult regarding a broad range of HR programs and systems. These include employee and labor relations, performance management, management coaching, talent management, compensation, disability management, pay and benefits, recognition, learning and development and wellness programs.
ATTRACTIONS & OPPORTUNITIES
The Superintendent Human Resources will join the CBE during a period of renewal and transformation, build upon past accomplishments and be the advocate for the future of public education for an increasingly diverse community population and school system.
- To be a leader in one of Canada’s largest school boards, one of the largest employers in Calgary and to be part of an organization recognized for its leadership in public education
- To be at the forefront in shaping the future of public education and partnering with a Board of Trustees that values student achievement, student well-being and improved equity across the system
The successful candidate will have the following:
- University degree in Business or equivalent degree in Human Resources.
- CPHR designation or equivalent demonstrable industry experience.
- Executive level experience leading a human resources function within a large, complex, unionized environment.
Competencies and Attributes
- The ability to see the big picture, articulate a shared vision and set direction for achieving that vision
- High level of leadership and political acumen, recognizing and appreciating both operational complexities and political subtleties
- The ability to influence and lead through continuous improvement and change management
- Outstanding relationship-building skills with people at all levels of the organization
- The ability to build and support high performing teams
- Excellent communications skills with a focus on collaborative problem solving and consensus building
- An engaging leadership style that excites, engages and holds the team to a high standard
- Demonstrated courage and wisdom in being able to make difficult decisions when necessary, ensuring these decisions are clearly communicated and effectively implemented
- Proven ability to frame issues and determine next steps to achieve positive and timely end results
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ACQD-687381 Superintendent Human Resources – Calgary Board of Education - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.