Senior Vice President, Commercial Construction
Our client is committed to the business of real estate, with emphasis on the acquisition, leasing, management, development and sale of quality commercial and retail properties in Canada and the United States. From small asset management to large scale, mixed-use commercial and residential properties, every square foot of space our client has built, has reinforced its reputation for excellence.
Our client is made up of experienced professionals with a depth of knowledge and an accomplished track record. They respect that each real estate sector and tenant is different, which is why every member of their project teams are hand-picked based on specific competencies required for the task at hand. Each one of our client’s management team is a specialist in their area, possessing a breadth of experience, knowledge and acumen in the retail, residential, commercial property and the construction sectors.
Our client has a significant presence in the Edmonton and Calgary marketplace. In addition, in the past several years, our client has substantially increased its presence in the GTA market to respond to the preferences of some of its major investors and partners to reduce the company’s dependency on the Western Canadian markets.
Enriching a community and ensuring that they develop in a sustainable and responsible way is a signature of our clients. Environmental management is an integral part of our clients plan, with its goal to minimize any impact that may cause, treat their surroundings with foresight and respect, and constantly seek out new ways to enhance their environmental practices.
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, COMMERCIAL CONSTRUCTION
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Direct Reports: 5
Indirect Reports: 2
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Our client is seeking a senior real estate executive to assist in the execution of the construction of all commercial, retail and low-rise greenfield development projects.
The Senior Vice President, Commercial Construction is responsible for assembling and leading the Construction and Design Teams that deliver all of our clients Retail, Industrial, Tenant Improvement, Acquisition Due Diligence and Land Servicing projects under the guidance of the Chief Executive Officer.
The selected candidate will have significant depth of experience in all aspects of commercial construction, acquisition due diligence and land servicing and should be comfortable managing multiple teams on multiple projects in various locations across Canada. Over time with expected growth, this role will be split between Western Canada and Eastern Canada and the incumbent will maintain Western Canadian responsibilities, presently the role serves all of our client’s commercial projects.
This role is also responsible for achieving the expected proforma, schedule and operational targets for the construction related portions of all Retail, Industrial and Low-Rise business units (profitability, owner satisfaction, employee development, quality, etc.)
The Senior Vice President, Commercial Construction oversees the work of his/her team to ensure their projects are appropriately planned, approved, built, value engineered, and that they will exceed customer, investor, tenant and Business Unit Leader expectations.
The Senior Vice President, Commercial Construction facilitates our client’s success by utilizing personal credibility and influence with the highest level of approving authorities, industry leaders, and potential suppliers.
- Works closely with all Business Unit Leaders as the point person for the team of service providers in the Construction Division. Understands and communicates to all team members the needs and operating processes for the various business units so that all deliverables (budgets, schedules, lease reviews, etc.) meet the expectations of the Industrial and Retail and Multi-Family divisions in terms of accuracy, timeliness and quality of information.
- Leads the physical due diligence on the acquisition of new lands/buildings and prepares reporting outlining risks, opportunities, costs and other considerations related to future development of the prospective acquisition targets.
- Ensures that the construction team understands the Owner’s needs and wishes with regards to the projects they are managing and that these are incorporated into the design, construction, and operations of all buildings and construction.
- Drives accountability to maintain the successful performance of the construction team. This includes setting and communicating of high-level goals and objectives, managing ongoing performance, encouraging professional development and providing ongoing feedback.
- Mentors and develops a culture of team work and succession within the construction team.
- Ensures that work is efficiently distributed amongst his/her team and that the projects they are working on both play to their strengths and allow them to develop their skills.
- Manages the overall Industrial and Retail construction budgets. Proactively reviews the development schedules, budgets and risk issues with each Project Manager on a monthly basis to ensure that projects are running on time and on budget, to anticipate any risk issues and develop mitigation strategies to avoid those risks and to identify obstacles to timely completion. Proactively reviews P&L statements from projects under construction, including cashflows, cost to complete estimates, contingency allowances, etc.
- Works closely with the Business Unit Leaders of the Industrial, Retail and Asset Management Divisions to ensure successful transition of projects from the development phase to the construction phase and from the construction phase to the property and asset management phase. Leads routine audit processes to ensure that any issues arising out of the design or construction of completed projects results in specification or quality control improvements going forward.
- Prepares, or oversees the preparation of, contracts, budgets, and schedules establishing critical milestones, according to client specifications and needs. Reviews and reports results and status of the projects directly to the Senior Management Team.
- Participates in issue resolutions between management, construction managers, consultants and sub-contractors recommending solutions to any disputes that might be encountered.
- Facilitates the development and maintenance of Preferred Contractor and Preferred Consultant lists for each of the various project types based on current and previous performance history, cost competitiveness and responsiveness. Negotiates terms and conditions of all the contracts and agreements.
- Optimizes project methods and tracks efficiencies. Creates operational and reporting standards within the Division that are consistent from region to region.
- Liaisons with the analysis, accounting, finance, leasing, marketing, property management and asset management groups with respect to compliance, reporting, analysis, owner deliverables and corporate governance.
- Through participation in the development and construction communities, as well as through reading, conferences and training sessions, continually seeks out innovative trends in the industry. Brings these ideas to our client to ensure that the organization remains at the leading edge of the industry when it comes to creative development and construction materials and methods.
First Year Deliverables/Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Firmly establish himself or herself as a trusted advisor and team player within the senior leadership team;
- Create and implement internal communication strategies within the Construction group that encourage employee engagement;
- Prove to be an integral part of upholding and driving our client’s goal of creating sustainable, scalable, and repeatable developments;
- Successfully align the organization around a set of expectations relative to construction operations (process, detail, accountability), financial performance, and consumer confidence;
- Equip the organization with the leadership and technical competencies, processes to continue to grow/achieve our client’s strategy;
- Firmly establish himself or herself as a leader and mentor of the Construction group and our client;
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate to all stakeholders and manage messaging with potential positive or negative outcomes;
- Demonstrate the ability to manage projects to deliver them on time and on budget;
- Build relationships with vendors, partners and others that enhances our client’s brand and marketplace positioning; and
- Create and build on policies and procedures that protect the interests of our client and project owners in relation to pricing, performance, quality, consistency and expected deliverables.
The successful candidate will have the following:
Education, Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree, Diploma or related experience in engineering, construction management, project management or design is preferred.
- Understanding the difference between the role of a construction manager as an Owner’s representative and a construction manager within a general contractor.
- Project management skills. Ability to strategically plan and forecast resources required for specific projects.
- Advanced understanding of operational and financial risk management practices.
- Technical expertise in commercial building construction, land servicing and development due diligence.
- Knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of project cashflows, P&L, scheduling, etc.
- Business acumen and street smarts.
- Ability to direct and manage staff (in-house or contracted) and take appropriate and timely action to deal with issues.
- Ability to review, analyze and effectively critique project plans, details, specifications, schedules and contract documents.
- Ability to consult and cooperate with customers and respond to varying mandates.
- A proven ability to deliver multiple projects with varying size and complexity in multiple regions.
- A solid track record running a business unit with construction activities in excess of $300 million per annum.
- Knows the key industry players. The ability to network and to build and maintain relationships with all stakeholders. Can identify who the key supporters and stakeholders of our client must be and works to understand and meet their needs and interests.
- Ability to establish cooperative working relationships with architects, consultants, contractors, tenants, and municipal authorities.
- Patience and diplomacy for negotiating and conflict resolution.
- Ability to manage conflicts and work well under pressure.
- Capable of divergent and convergent thinking. Knows both the magical and the practical. The ability to switch from macro vision to micro detail.
- Curiosity, desire to learn, and brings a passion for creative solutions.
A competitive compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Under Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation, Optimum Talent requires your consent to provide you with information via email that is relevant to you. This may include electronic communications regarding job opportunities that you are pursuing. Please click the following link in order to access and complete our online subscription form on the homepage of our website: http://www.optimumtalent.com/
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AJAA-878067 Senior Vice President, Commercial Construction - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.