- Executive Search
- Leadership, Assessment
- Career Transition
- About Optimum Talent
- Start Your Transition
If your employer has provided you with Career Transition Support through Optimum Talent, click here to get started.
Stuart Olson Inc. (“Stuart Olson” or “The Company”) www.stuartolson.com is a $1 billion + organization representing one of the largest and most respected construction services companies in Canada. A company recognized for its unique approach to doing business. A company who understands that a positive journey is the critical factor to achieving successful results.
Stuart Olson has been empowering Canadian business since 1911. Their rich history demonstrates their reach and diversity as an integrated, full-service organization serving the construction and industrial markets. Throughout this time they have contributed to Canada’s growth and maturity into a dynamic global economy. With clients in commercial and residential development, oil and gas, hospitality, mining, health care and education, to name just a few, the people of Stuart Olson have had a positive and lasting impact on businesses and communities across Canada.
Today, the Buildings General Contracting Group (the “Buildings Group”) is one of the premier building contractors in Canada, catering to clients in the private and public sectors in both new construction and renovation. With both Commercial and Industrial-focused business units, the Buildings Group has the experience and expertise to deliver on projects ranging in size up to $500 million.
Their future is focused on continued growth as they aspire to be the most recognized organization within its industry in Canada, while living the values of uncompromising commitment to HSE, people, excellence, team, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit. Stuart Olson is “people creating progress”.
Stuart Olson Inc. is listed on the TSX under the symbols SOX and SOX.DB.
Job Title: Senior Vice President, Central Canada
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Reports: 8 Direct Reports, 70+ Indirect Reports
The Senior Vice President, Central Canada of Stuart Olson Buildings (the “Group”) is accountable for the operations in Manitoba and Ontario (the “Region”). The Senior Vice President, Central Canada reports to the Chief Executive Officer and is a member of the Group’s Executive Management Team (“EMT”).
• Support a culture that is aligned with the Stuart Olson’s (“Corporate) core values
• Lead the Stuart Olson Promise
Operations & Finance
• Ensure sound operational management of the Region so to meet or exceed the goals and objectives of the Region’s annual business plan
• Prepare documentation and regularly report on the annual business plan including a financial plan, business development plan, human resources & training requirements, and capital expenditures
• Build, motivate and retain a talented operational team capable of achieving the Group’s strategic plan:
– Ensure that each Region has the organizational capacity and capability to be awarded and deliver quality projects; and
• Accountable for ensuring that Corporate resources/expertise are effectively utilized, and that business processes and standards are consistently implemented
• Ensure compliance to the Corporation’s health and safety programs
• Support risk management processes and strategies and, in particular, with respect to contracts and project execution
• Working with the Regional Vice Presidents/ Branch Managers, develop and implement the strategic plan for the Region that includes specific goals and performance measures
• Working with the Group’s EMT, develop new market initiatives and business opportunities based on the best use of the Group’s resources/assets and current trends in the industry and the competitive landscape.
• In conjunction with the Vice President of Business Development, lead the business development function for the Region
• As part of the Group’s EMT, establish and maintain strategic relations with customers, suppliers, and other stakeholders including governments and the public
• Lead and participate in Corporate initiatives.
The successful candidate will have the following:
• An undergrad Degree and an MBA or equivalent experience
• At least 20 years of professional experience overall, with a minimum of ten years of executive-leadership experience in an operations role with a construction company.
Competencies and Attributes
• Results orientated, a strong work ethic and a team focused “hands on” leadership approach
• Strong relationship builder and communicator with experience engaging clients and community partners
• Can point to tangible examples of growing the business
• Demonstrates integrity and strives for excellence in her/his work
• Ability to build strong respectful relationships and communicate effectively and persuasively with different stakeholders
• Comprehensive knowledge of budgeting, financial management practices and accounting principles
• An ability to prioritize work and manage multiple complex priorities with a sense of urgency