Senior Operations Manager | RHK Hydraulic Cylinder Services Inc.
RHK Hydraulic Cylinder Services (“RHK”) was founded in Edmonton, Alberta, and is a family owned company that provides full-service manufacturing and repair of hydraulic cylinders. RHK services a wide range of clients worldwide in industries such as oil & gas, construction, agriculture, heavy machinery, forestry, mining, transportation and utilities. Since its inception in the early 1990’s, RHK’s key to success has come from providing solutions, delivering high quality products, and their commitment to exceptional service.
RHK’s industry knowledge combined with their highly flexible and responsive service ensures quality products. Often the demands of the industries they cater to have unique products and service requirements RHK prides themselves on meeting these requirements and playing an active role in the success of their own client organizations.
- Customer Success
For further information about RHK, please visit their website at https://rhkhydraulics.com
|Reports to:||General Manager|
|Direct Reports:||4; Supply Chain, Engineering, Production and Scheduling/Planning|
|Indirect Reports:||Approx. 30 with 7 team leads|
Reporting to the General Manager, the Senior Operations Manager will be a seasoned leader with experience in enabling a highly flexible and responsive plant environment by ensuring all policies are reflective of a continuous improvement (i.e. lean methodology) mindset and philosophy. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience successfully contributing to organizational growth, a passion for safety and a commitment to building highly effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
To support the next phase of their growth, RHK is implementing the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) into their organization to refocus on their vision, traction and to promote a healthy leadership team. The Senior Operations Manager will have the opportunity to help define and implement an operational strategy aligned with the EOS to better interface plant operations with RHK’s sales trajectory to enable organizational growth.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Accountable for the plant’s daily operations and meeting production goals in a timely and accurate manner;
- Define priorities within the operating framework to implement the most efficient and effective production schedule and staffing plan;
- Implement production plans, evaluate and provide feedback around equipment efficiency, materials supply constraints, schedules and staffing requirements to meet production objectives;
- Oversee schedules and expenditures for direct and indirect labor, plan staffing and labor expenditures around given priorities;
- Achieve results through the production team by establishing operational objectives, work plans and delegating assignments;
- Manage ISO program and ensure compliance in quality, safety & environmental is maintained;
- Oversee preventative and reactive maintenance programs and processes;
- Accountable for developing an operations budget including contribution to the annual financial planning and monthly reporting on YTD results for functional areas;
- In conjunction with the General Manager, co-lead capital planning for equipment and decide on capital expenditures;
- Create a safety culture that meets or exceeds all safety targets and embed safety as a core cultural value within the organization; and
- Direct workplace compliance with all safety and environmental (OHS) policies and requirements.
- Provide leadership, coaching, and accountability to the direct and indirect reports;
- Foster teamwork and create a cohesive organization with the common objective of increasing company growth and profitability;
- Select, coach, mentor and develop the team through training and development initiatives that reflect full knowledge of the organization and its markets;
- Define responsibilities and functions of all departments; creating clear accountabilities and expectations for all team members ensuring consistency is reached between each revenue stream within the plant operations;
- Measure the effectiveness of the team through the creation and implementation of performance management activities and the development of key performance indicators;
- Maintain close relationships with internal stakeholders (i.e. the leadership team), developing effective communication initiatives with all members of the company through one on one meetings, ad hoc and planned problem solving meetings and performance reviews;
- Identify key operational issues and develop long-term, strategic goals to ensure operations improvements; and
- Take action on situations that may arise in any phase of the plant operations by remaining up to date on organizational changes, identifying issues and initiatives, and focus on compliance.
Change Management/Lean Process Improvement
- Analyze and implement process improvements for lean manufacturing to ensure the organization is meeting or exceeding efficiency metrics;
- Ensure that a current state value stream map is created of the end-to-end value stream(s);
- Prepare a future state that uses Lean techniques to eliminate waste and improve process value;
- Identify and rectify operational challenges, continuous measurements of performance, prioritization of production related activities and execution on opportunities to improve; and
- Lead and mobilize the people inside and outside (support functions) of the value stream to enable the achievement of improvement priorities.
- The organization has an established foundation with over 30 years of experience and with the right leadership is in a strong position to continue carrying on its track record of success and growth;
- Join and industry leading solutions provider; and
- An opportunity to leave a legacy by creating a highly functional, efficient, and profitable plant that is sustainable long-term.
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build and maintain strong relationships within the leadership team and foster cross-functional accountability between operations and other functional areas;
- Develop efficiency improvement measures;
- Capture the existing operational standards, internal controls and workflows, and ensure they have been appropriately developed and implemented to maximize plant operations;
- Implement lean manufacturing principals and methodology throughout the plant operations; and
- Responsible for the development, recommendation and oversight of the plant operation budgets and stewardship of capital equipment.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Formal education with a diploma or degree in Engineering or similar; and
- Certification in continuous improvement or process improvement systems (i.e. Lean, Six Sigma).
- 5 plus years’ experience of progressively high-performance leadership with a demonstrated track record of success within a Manufacturing, Operations, Supply Chain, and Quality environment;
- Experience with capital equipment (including automated machinery and equipment);
- Experience working with an ERP system or shop management software systems (i.e. JobBOSS);
- Proven ability to execute operational strategies;
- Track record of successfully implementing lean manufacturing and continuous improvement principles and strategies;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and action strategic plans and corresponding measure of success (i.e. KPI development); and
- Hands-on-experience overseeing internal controls, turnaround efforts, and risk management.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Business and Financial Acumen: Understands key business fundamentals, understands the drivers of financial health and accountability of the company and takes responsibility to maintain its ongoing fiscal soundness.
- Commitment: Demonstrates a personal commitment and investment to the organization with an attitude of sincere and dedicated focus.
- Communication: Communicates effectively with all levels of the organization. Open to receiving constructive feedback and willing to engage in robust healthy discussion to foster the spirit of continuous improvement.
- Critical Thinking: Makes strong decisions using analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Customer Focus: Being successful means continuously paying attention to customer needs and adapting as these evolve. Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer centric solutions.
- Drives Results: Infuses the team and organization with a sense of urgency. Fosters a culture where organizational performance is top of mind. Communicates a clear vision, setting priorities, developing, and executing plans that achieve the desired outcome for the organization.
- Forward Strategic Thinker: Stays abreast of the best practices, new trends and technology to provide strategic direction and make informed recommendations.
- Relationship Builder: Ability to identify and initiate working relationships and to develop and maintain them in a way that is of mutual benefit to both parties. Good relationships are the key to getting things done and are essential when your success is dependent on others.
- Respectful & Effective Leadership: Ability to communicate with and effectively interact with people across cultures, creating a respectful workplace environment. Demonstrates patience in leading all personalities. Fosters a respectful culture of accountability.
- Strong Leadership: Provides the coaching, support, encouragement, and direction required to engage and empower employees in the accomplishment of personal, departmental, and organizational goals and objectives. Models’ positive leadership behaviors and maintains professionalism under pressure and uncertainty. Provides timely feedback and guidance to employees, ensuring their development and success is supported.
RHK Hydraulic Cylinder Services Inc. is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and is essential to service excellence. The organization welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with the provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and the organization throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:APWL-778605 Senior Operations Manager | RHK Hydraulic Cylinder Services Inc. - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.