Senior Manager, Business Development [AI + Tech] | Edmonton Global
|Reports to:||Business Development Director|
|Location:||Edmonton, Alberta [in office]|
The Senior Manager, Business Development – AI/Tech will directly manage the organization’s roster of client projects focused on designated priority sectors with a specific emphasis on managing the quality and efficiency of deal flow.
As a member of the investment attraction and business development team this role will be instrumental to the management of leads and investor services. This role will build and nurture Edmonton Global’s relationships that maximize investment opportunities for international companies looking to do business in the region, with a specific focus on managing investor interest from lead generation through to final investment decisions.
Critical to the success of this role is effective liaison and maintenance of strong relationships with the regional ecosystem of economic development partners, supporting collective efforts in attracting, expanding, and retaining economic investment. The successful candidate should understand and have a working knowledge of AI, tech and innovation, an understanding of private equity and experience in working with the Venture Capital community.
This role description is intended primarily as an illustration of the type of deliverables expected and nature of work to be performed from the person in this position.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Plays an instrumental role in the overall success of Edmonton Global’s core business practices around Business Development, Investment Attraction, Trade Development and Export Markets
- Acts as the owner of assigned deal flow, setting up and managing systems that target leads and facilitates them through the deal flow process to completion.
- Is responsible for managing the stages of investment attraction with strategic sensitivity, and a focus on stages where projects are transferred or handed-off to partners.
- Performs as a leader on the business development team, providing guidance and mentorship on client services.
- Manages digital tools associated with client management, project management, communications, etc., including but not limited to Salesforce.
- Provides both strategic and tactical input to the organization’s strategy division on activities related to investment and trade.
- Works closely with Edmonton Global’s regional team of Economic Development professionals in shareholder communities and organizations to effectively distribute and place investment in the region.
- Contributes to a positive work environment and helps align staff and resources in order to achieve the organization’s results.
- Leads by example and role models a culture of teamwork, accountability, collaboration, regionalism and client-centricity.
- Participates in the execution of strategic plans to support regional advantages, programs and initiatives that will facilitate new capital investment, technology, job creation and business growth.
- Contributes to the Marketing and Communications team’s development and execution of an effective lead generation strategy in multiple international markets to establish a robust pipeline of prospects within their designated sectors.
- Develops and executes global trade missions that target and promote key investment opportunities for the region, and plays a leading role in triaging and facilitation, including follow up on leads generated from these efforts.
- Contributes to the development of marketing strategies, materials and campaigns for global investment targets, including the development of compelling presentations to promote regional assets to new investors, tailoring messages to meet the specific needs of target audiences and sectors.
- Provides support for business and investment leaders visiting the region by tailoring agendas for their visits, including conducting presentations and familiarizing tours for companies considering the region for location.
- Proactively leads outreach with site selectors and other professional sales channels locally and globally that will advance Edmonton Global’s objectives around business attraction and trade.
- Enlists private sector partnerships to attract new investment into the region, including the development of a strong team of local validators and peer-to-peer business champions.
- Identifies funding and incentive programs that support Edmonton Global’s objectives, especially related to trade missions and events.
- Plays an active role in the development, refinement and marketing of business cases specific to their priority sector.
- Plays an active role with the marketing and communications team in the development, promotion and follow up of webinars related to their specific priority sectors.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- University Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Political Science, Economics, Economic Development, Investment, Marketing, Manufacturing Engineering or other relevant education
- 5+ years of experience in management positions in the public or private sectors
- 5+ years of experience in economic development directly related to investment attraction, trade and investment, and business development (including export markets), ideally at an international level.
- Experience directly developing and executing international outreach and marketing campaigns that lead to the generation of qualified leads for investment and business that result in FDI and investment outcomes.
- Experience working collaboratively with multiple private and public sector partners to produce new and expanded investment across a variety of sectors.
- Experience with investment and trade missions, events and activities – both inbound and outbound.
- Expertise developing and delivering effective presentations, engaging in a variety of public speaking opportunities, complex report writing and levering a variety of communication tools and methods.
- Leadership skills demonstrating vision while being part of a collaborative and integrated team.
- Ability to think and act strategically in a political and community service environment, and to foster and contribute to a positive, productive work environment.
- Excellent communication skills in English, additional languages are an asset .
- Proficiency and knowledge of business development, opportunity analysis and strategic selling.
- Knowledge of Municipal, Provincial and Federal Acts, Regulations and Standards related to Planning and Economic Development, investment and trade.
- Strong interpersonal skills combined with demonstrated project/time management, organizational, analytical, research communication (written, oral), report writing, negotiation, administrative, problem-solving, public relations and public speaking.
- Ability to deal effectively and discreetly with all levels of staff, board members, shareholders, partners, executives and the public.
- Proficient in Windows and Microsoft Office applications, presentation and database software, experience working with Salesforce is an additional asset.
- A future-oriented perspective with an international scope and in-depth understanding of global issues, trends, influences and opportunities.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Strong ethical standards and values related to openness and transparency;
- Superior oral and written communication skills;
- Results management;
- Strategic thinking in building networks;
- Attention to detail;
- Flexibility and adaptability to change; and
- Teamwork and collaboration.
- A valid driver’s license in good standing.
- A valid passport as travel regionally, nationally, and internationally is required.
Edmonton Global is committed to upholding the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism in the workplace at all levels of the organization, as well as in the delivery of our services. We encourage applications from people of all backgrounds including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, racialized groups, people with disabilities, and people from the 2SLGBTQ+ community. In accordance with the provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and Edmonton Global throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: HRCCCanada.GBS.EdmontonPIES@ajg.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AYBW-633014 Senior Manager, Business Development [AI + Tech] | Edmonton Global - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.