Senior Director, Operations – Calgary Drop-In Centre
The Calgary Drop-In Centre (the DI) is more than an emergency shelter. The DI provides essential care as well as health services, employment training, and housing supports to people at risk of or experiencing homelessness. The agency’s programs and services connect people to permanent housing that meets their individual needs. Since 2017, the Drop-In Centre has housed more than 1,200 people.
Rooted in community and fueled by kindness, the DI proudly serves as part of the Homeless-Serving System of Care, the Canadian Shelter Transformation Network, and fully supports the Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness initiative, Recovery For All.
Long known as the “largest shelter in North America,”, the DI began its transformation to being a housing-focused emergency shelter in 2017. Rather than creating a long-term “home” for people in shelter, the agency invested in new programs and trained housing specialists to help people exit homelessness and find their way home.
By thinking of shelter as a temporary point in time and by working one-on-one with people to address their unique barriers to housing, the DI has become devoted to ending chronic homelessness.
The DI also owns and operates three affordable housing buildings throughout the city of Calgary. The Free Goods program, operating out of our Donations Centre provides housewares, furniture and computers to low and no-income individuals and families in collaboration with over 100 community-based agencies.
Out of the 84,000 recognized charities in Canada, the DI is proud to be recognized by both Charity Intelligence Canada and Maclean’s Magazine as one of the Top 100 Rated Charities in Canada. This is due in large part to efforts made to be accountable, financially transparent, and cost-efficient.
The DI is a diverse and values-driven team. The DI is more than a workplace – employees invest their time at the DI because they’re passionate about working with Calgary’s most vulnerable people. In return, the DI strives to be an employer of choice.
Our values form the cornerstone of our culture:
Our actions honour the rights, differences and dignity of others
Through collaborative partnerships, we work together as a team, building inclusive communities
We accept each person’s uniqueness with compassion and empathy
We promote, provide and support holistic wellbeing
We operate with transparency and integrity in both our relationships and our commitments
For more information on the Drop-In Centre please visit: https://calgarydropin.ca/
Job Title: Senior Director, Operations
Reports to: Executive Director
Direct/Indirect Reports: 3 (Directors; Director, Development & Engagement, Director Housing & Programs, Director, Facilities & Asset Management. The indirect team is upwards of 300 staff.
This newly created role reports to the Executive Director and is a key member of the senior leadership team and responsible for all operational leadership concerning programs and housing, facilities and asset management and fund development and external engagement.
Programs & Housing
- In collaboration with the Director, Programs & Housing oversee the development and implementation of an Evaluation Framework including activities, outcomes and data collection methods for all programs
- Ensures that the organization provides evidence-based or best practice programs that support the mission statement and ensures that measurable impact data for each program is in place
- Develops methods for outcomes data collection and reviews data often to ensure an evaluation framework is applied to the agency’s work
- Maintains quality service by affecting quality and standards; analyzing and resolving quality and client service problems; identifying trends; recommending system improvements
- Establishes departmental goals that execute on the strategy and business plan by gathering pertinent program and operational information; identifying and evaluating trends and options; choosing a course of action; defining objectives; evaluating outcomes
- Continue to evolve the housing-focused, Trauma Informed programming that results in ongoing service delivery to our acute clients. This should continue to champion our housing initiatives and support meeting the needs of clients, no matter the acuity, to ensure their short and long-term housing success
- Focus on the intersection of health care and housing in our environment and work collaboratively with the Director, Programs & Housing to support this new programming within the Agency
Development & Engagement
- In collaboration with the Director, Development & Engagement, oversees the fund development and communications team and provides direct support in the management of contracts and grants outside of Government service agreements
- Supports the Executive Director’s relationships with partners, funders, donors, and other stakeholders
- Working closely with the Director, Development & Engagement to establish and maintain personal contact and relationships with granting organization contacts and program officers as required
- Provides support to nurture relationships with key stakeholders, volunteers and donors
- Ensures operational excellence in Donations Centre programming and operations
Facilities & Asset Management
- In collaboration with the Director, Facilities and Asset Management ensures a strategy for maintenance and capital improvements is in place that supports the ongoing management of all the DI facilities and real estate assets
- Evaluates and advises the Executive Director and Board of strategic opportunities to optimize the organization’s assets, including its real estate
Inspirational People Leadership
Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the DI, the Senior Director, Operations provides direction through human-centered leadership. This role provides a broad vision for the organization, ensures staff have collegial, positive, high trust working relationships with each other and other key stakeholders both internal and external to the organization. They will continue to promote an effective, safe, and enjoyable organizational culture for all staff; and achieves results by living the values of the organization and enabling a shared vision where all members of the team have a sense of ownership and purpose aligned to organizational goals.
This role supports the Executive Director in delivering the strategic direction and ensures that all staff understand and receive the support needed to execute on the strategic direction set by the Agency. As well, the Senior Director, Operations will attend all Board meetings and is actively engaged in identifying, analyzing, and mitigating potential risks enabling the organization to achieve its mandate.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, with the oversight of the Board of Directors, the Senior Director, Operations will annually participate in the development of the organization’s strategic goals, the annual operating plan including the deliverables and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to measure and monitor the organization’s performance as well as any corrective action plans and strategies.
- Join a recognized thought leader among housing-focused shelters and participate in the transformation towards housing first – “where everyone can find a home”
- Join the largest housing-focused shelter in Canada that values innovative solutions, collegial partnerships, a system-wide, community perspective and that benefits from an excellent reputation and a concrete vision of the future
- Be part of the engine to end chronic homelessness, working in a complex business and proactively affecting societal change to address the issues of equity, homelessness and poverty
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Successfully built a cohesive and collaborative relationship with other leaders in the organization increasing operational excellence and organizational agility
- Understand the culture of the organization while building trusting relationships and cohesion across multidisciplinary teams
- Implement the strategic plan, ensure milestones are being met and business plans and operational effectiveness across the organization is in place
- Increase the level of employee engagement and trust through effective leadership, development and empowerment of staff
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited post-secondary institution in business, human services, health care or related field and/or equivalent work experience
- The right experience for this position is anyone who has leadership experience in a complex organization of diverse multidisciplinary teams. This candidate could come from private, public or not-for-profit sectors however a great fit will be someone who can nurture success through supporting their teams, building frameworks for success and breaking down barriers between departments.
- Demonstrated success in improving day-to-day operations across all teams and cultivate a strong spirit of collaboration and reinforce a culture of learning and excellence
- Prior work and exposure to the not-for-profit sector is an asset but not a requirement but the ability to manage key performance levels in an uncertain demand and revenue environment, partnering with other agencies and establishing and maintaining a successful record of safe operations of physical facilities will be key
Skills, Competencies and Attributes
- A genuine commitment to the mission, vision, values and work of the agency
- Demonstrated business acumen with strong business planning tools and a strategic thinking lens
- Empowering leadership skills, able to build and manage teams, inspire others, as well as interact effectively with peers and senior leaders
- Clean and clear communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrated professionalism, cultural sensitivity, humility, ethics and adaptability
- A high degree of emotional intelligence and self-awareness
- Demonstrated ability to gain respect, trust, credibility and confidence
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to engage with stakeholders of diverse and, at times, competing interests to work towards achieving a common agenda
- A positive attitude, high energy, creativity, and flexibility
- Organizational skills including ability to identify objectives, set priorities, allocate, organize, and establish procedures
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ABLQ-305145 Senior Director, Operations – Calgary Drop-In Centre - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.