Senior Developer, Renewables – ATCO Energy Solutions
Join ATCO Energy Solutions and become a part of Canada’s exciting transition to renewable generation, clean fuels, decarbonization, and energy storage.
ATCO Energy Solutions is part of ATCO Ltd. who delivers inspired solutions for a better world. ATCO is a diversified global corporation delivering comprehensive solutions and service excellence in Structures & Logistics (workforce housing, innovative modular facilities, construction, site support services, and logistics and operations management); Energy Infrastructure (electricity generation, transmission, and distribution; natural gas transmission, distribution and infrastructure development; energy storage and industrial water solutions; and electricity and natural gas retail sales); Transportation (ports and transportation logistics); and Commercial Real Estate. ATCO is community-based with global reach and, over the course of our 70-year history, we’ve worked in more than 100 countries developing reliable integrated solutions. Our history has been shaped by imagination, courage, perseverance, and integrity – qualities that we seek in all potential employees.
ATCO is committed to being a leader in the global transition to cleaner fuels and electricity—from the development of a renewable natural gas facility in Alberta, to proposed world-class clean hydrogen projects in Canada and Australia, as well as continuing to grow its fleet of renewable power generation in Canada, Mexico, Chile, and Australia. ATCO’s domestic growth in renewable generation is led by the Senior Vice President, Renewables, North America.
News release: ATCO completes Canada’s largest off-grid solar project in partnership with three Alberta Indigenous Nations, Reducing Community Diesel Use in Fort Chipewyan, Alberta (Nov 2020)
News release: Suncor and ATCO partner on a potential world-scale clean hydrogen project in Alberta (May 2021)
News release: ATCO to build its first renewable natural gas production facility (July 2021)
News release: Canadian Utilities and Vuntut Gwitchin Complete Landmark Solar Project, Reducing Community Diesel Use in Old Crow, Yukon (Aug 2021)
News release: ATCO Group to Build Western Canada’s Largest Urban Solar Project in Calgary (Sept 2021)
News release: ATCO Acquires 39 MW Solar Development Project in Eastern Alberta (Sept 2021)
To learn more about ATCO please visit: https://www.atco.com/en-ca.html
Job Title: Senior Developer, Renewables
Reports to: Director, Project and Business Development
Direct Reports: n/a – Individual Contributor expected to lead cross functional project teams and with access to support for economic analysis, development engineering, and regulatory/permitting
Location: Calgary, AB
Reporting to the Director, Project and Business Development, the successful candidate will join the North American Renewables Team, with a specific focus on growing ATCO’s renewable business line in Western Canada. The Senior Developer, Renewables will be responsible for origination and screening, leading individual project opportunities, securing customer offtake, assessing acquisition opportunities, and supporting strategy and business model innovation for ATCO’s renewables portfolio.
The North American Renewables team has had recent success with the acquisition of three solar development projects in Alberta for a total of over 100 MW. If you are someone who is excited about continuing to grow ATCO’s renewable energy business, having the opportunity to work across a variety of projects, and being part of a dynamic and hard-working team, then this role is for you.
- Screen and originate utility scale renewable generation opportunities (Solar, Wind, Energy Storage, Hydro, hybrid systems, and new clean technologies) in development or operation in Western Canada
- Lead and/or support the development of individual greenfield projects or asset acquisitions from origination through to internal approval and financial close working closely with project partners, customers, community stakeholders, and government agencies
- Project manage individual opportunities, lead internal project teams, and develop business cases to secure executive and board approval
- Support the origination and negotiation of bilateral customer offtakes for individual renewable projects or bid submissions to renewable procurement processes
- Support and contribute to the development of corporate strategy related to growing ATCO’s Western Canadian and North American renewables business line
- Monitor market and regulatory developments in Western Canada for opportunities and threats impacting ATCO’s renewables portfolio growth
- Opportunity to join an organization that is part of and driving Canada’s exciting energy transformation to renewable generation, clean fuels, decarbonization, and energy storage
- Opportunity to be part of an entrepreneurial company that is strategically positioned for the future through its world-class projects and commitment to cleaner fuels and electricity
- Participate as a key member of the organization in the successful execution and delivery of major projects critical to the ongoing commercial success across the full renewable business cycle
- Join an organization whose culture is centered around collaboration, fairness, and growth
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Demonstrate your communication and relationship building skills to develop strong internal relationships within the Corporate Development team, individual project teams and departments, along with other key stakeholders within the organization
- Leverage your experience and expertise to screen and originate utility scale renewable generation opportunities in development or operation in Western Canada (Solar, Wind, Energy Storage, Hydro, hybrid systems and new clean technologies)
- Exercise your Project Management experience which may include managing individual opportunities, leading/supporting internal project teams, and developing business cases to secure Executive and Board approval
- Leading and supporting the development of individual greenfield projects or asset acquisitions from origination through to internal approval and financial close working closely with project partners, customers, community stakeholders and government agencies
- Utilizing your strong business acumen, support the origination and negotiation of bilateral customer offtakes for individual renewable projects or bid submissions to renewable procurement processes
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business, Economics or Environmental Science
- A minimum of 10 years post-degree experience in the energy industry with electricity experience preferred
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in renewable projects, business development and project management
- Experience in external facing roles working with partners, customers, communities, Indigenous Groups, government agencies and other stakeholders
- Demonstrated expertise in developing grid scale renewable energy projects including experience related to project management, technical project aspects, permitting, commercial/financial elements and offtakes
- Well-developed network within the renewable energy industry
- Direct experience in the Western Canadian Market with a focus on Alberta is preferred
- Strong business acumen including commercial structuring/negotiation and understanding of project-based economic modeling
- Commercial creativity and experience with business model innovation
- Motivated self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset and problem-solving ability
- Strong communication skills and ability to work in a team environment across individual project teams and departments
- Demonstrated agility/flexibility to work across multiple projects leading or contributing based on the project needs
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ARUA-431215 Senior Developer, Renewables – ATCO Energy Solutions - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.