Senior Accountant, Corporate (18 Month Contract) | Volker Stevin Canada
Volker Stevin Canada operates as a subsidiary of VolkerWessels. VolkerWessels operates primarily in the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, North America and Germany. Operationally, its business is organised in six segments. In the countries in which VolkerWessels operates it has over 120 local operating companies, which have national and regional offices and management.
Volker Stevin Canada and its subsidiaries across Western Canada are dedicated to providing the highest level of quality services in the areas of construction, project management, highway maintenance, civil works and bridge construction, maintenance and rehabilitation expertise, and asphalt/aggregate plants and pits.
In anticipation of our client’s needs, we strive to build and maintain long term relationships based on safety, quality, value, trust, and timely service. In addition to upholding professionalism, integrity, honesty, and fairness in our relationships with our clients, professional associates, subcontractors, and suppliers we ensure the longevity of the Company while sustaining growth and profitability.
Holding a moral obligation to a safe, environmentally responsible work environment we model safety excellence as our way of life – where individual professional growth is the foundation for company growth. Our culture of building and maintaining successful partnerships instills confidence in achieving both employee and client goals.
For more information on Volker Stevin please visit their website at www.volkerstevin.ca
|Reports to:||Manager, Corporate Accounting|
Supporting Volker Stevin North America and its diverse group of companies, the Senior Accountant will support the Manager, Corporate Accounting in supervising the accounting and finance department, and executing financial reporting and accounting activities / processes for all companies.
The Senior Accountant will assist the Manager, Corporate Accounting with financial reporting and information analysis to internal and external stakeholders. Assist with full-cycle accounting through recording of monthly adjustments and will be involved in determining accurate accounting and tax treatment of complex or unusual transactions.
This individual will demonstrate a solution-driven approach with respect to issues identified in accounting practices or internal controls. Provide strategic implementation, and technical accounting support for special projects as needed.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
Accounting & Finance
- Perform balance sheet account reconciliations for month-end, following up on any issues and correcting errors in a timely manner as required
- Assist with the month-end and quarterly financial close process and timeliness for all companies (including operating companies)
- Assist with timely and accurate IFRS financial reporting requirements per parent company in Holland and other internal/external stakeholders. This includes completion of monthly and quarterly financial reporting and assisting with the written report submission to Holland
- Assist with preparation of monthly consolidated financial statements, Corporate Social Responsibility reporting and quarterly, interim and year end audit working paper preparation and inquiries
- Assist with preparing and updating process documentation throughout the year as required
- Ensure that Company policies and procedures are adhered to on a timely basis
- Respond to ad hoc requests from the Manager, Assistant Controller, Corporate Controller, Divisional Controllers, and/or CFO for special projects or tasks
- Assist the Manager, Corporate and Assistant Controller, Corporate with financial reporting and information analysis to internal and external stakeholders as well as inquiries
- Assist with full-cycle accounting through recording of monthly adjustments and involvement in determining accurate accounting and tax treatment of complex or unusual transactions
- Assist with preparing formal analysis of monthly financial results, corporate spending, cash flow and other areas as required
- Assist with process documentation, analysis, and control recommendations for all cycles within our group of companies
- Assist peers through performing other functions within the Accounting group as required (this may include Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Inventory, etc.)
- Respond to all internal and external inquiries in a timely and professional manner
- Work closely with internal customers to provide accurate and timely information to meet their needs (includes assistance to our operating companies)
- Provide strategic, implementation, and technical accounting support for special projects as needed by the Manager, Assistant Controller, Corporate Controller, Divisional Controllers, and/or CFO
- Preparing and posting corporate journal entries for all entities in the Volker Stevin Canada group of companies
- Demonstrate a solution-driven approach with respect to issues identified in accounting practices or internal controls
- Provide value-added business process analysis, including analysis of process weaknesses, implications and recommendations
- Maintain a high level of organization on all aspects of data management
- Maintain a high level of discretion in all confidential issues
- Maintain a professional image with internal and external contacts
- Play a role in supporting the business transformation of shared services model within a successful national and global organization
- Volker Stevin Canada is a proud team that encourages initiative, fosters innovation, and promotes integrity
- Joining a successful team with strong financial practices to build from and make further impact
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Effectively integrate into the organization, build collaborative and trustworthy relationships across Volker Stevin
- Have a clear understanding of the business process and of who are the internal and external customers are of Volker Stevin Group of Companies
- Ease of performing full-cycle accounting, preparing formal written and numerical analysis of monthly financials and process documentation and control
- Identify and resolve issues in accounting practices or internal controls while demonstrating a solution driven approach
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Relevant post-secondary or bachelor’s degree (Accounting/Finance)
- Accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, or equivalent)
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in a professional environment
- 2+ yrs in a senior accounting role
- Excellent technical accounting knowledge and application in IFRS
Competencies and Attributes:
- Ability to work independently and in a team-oriented environment
- Detail oriented, ability to show initiative and take responsibility
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in construction industry, an asset
- Microsoft Office proficiency (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Advanced Excel skills, including but not limited to Pivot tables and V-Lookups
- Experience with Vista by Viewpoint ERP, Microsoft Dynamics 365, or another relevant ERP, an asset
Volker Stevin is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and enriches our work and is essential to operational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and Volker Stevin throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AKQW-110556 Senior Accountant, Corporate (18 Month Contract) | Volker Stevin Canada - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.