Renewable Project Engineer – TransAlta Corporation
A leader in sustainable energy, TransAlta has over 100 years of experience generating power and is one of Canada’s top 50 Socially Responsible Companies since 2009, recognized as a global leader for sustainability and corporate responsibility standards. TransAlta operates 75 facilities in three countries; Australia, Canada, and United States.
TransAlta is committed to fostering a dynamic, productive and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountability, strong leadership and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
Over one hundred years of power generation.
Beginning as a small, local power company in 1909, we have transformed over the last century to become an experienced and well-respected power generator and wholesale marketer of electricity. With approximately $3 billion in annual revenue, more than $9 billion in assets, and power plants in Canada, the United States and Australia, we’ve proven our worth as a power generator, as a community member, and as a solid investment.
More than history. We’re shaping our future.
Looking ahead, there are a lot of challenges and opportunities in meeting our collective need for reliable, economical, and responsibly generated power. Here’s why we’ll meet those challenges and make the most of the opportunities that lie ahead:
- A clear, disciplined strategy built upon financial and operating principles that are low to moderate risk
- Financial strength through a strong balance sheet, investment-grade credit ratings, long-term contracts and a balanced approach to capital allocation
- Diverse fuel sources and an ever-expanding renewable energy portfolio
- Our dedicated and experienced employees and management team
We’re excited for the future and we’re ready to power many generations to come.
For more information on TransAlta Corporation please visit: https://www.transalta.com/about-us/
|Job Title:||Renewable Project Engineer|
|Reports to:||Manager, Renewables Development|
TransAlta is currently recruiting for a full-time permanent Renewable Project Engineer to support the renewables growth team. The Renewable Project Engineer will report to the Manager, Renewables Development. This would be an ideal role for an engineer or technologist with experience in renewable project development, resource assessment, design engineering, environmental permitting, construction or operations.
This individual contributor position is a key member of the business development team with three primary accountabilities: renewable project design (wind & solar), site planning & mapping, and preliminary engineering. The ability to work independently as a highly motivated team member delivering work on time is highly valued. The successful candidate will be detail oriented, organized, demonstrate enthusiasm, energy and drive to succeed. The position will be based at TransAlta’s head office in Calgary.
- Identify and rank potential sites for greenfield renewable project development considering transmission, resource, permitting, land use and ownership, stakeholder, site, constructability and other constraints
- Provide inputs and documentation for site control, permitting and regulatory activities, identify locations for resource monitoring, design facility conceptual layouts for Class 5 capital cost estimates and LCOE calculations, including Balance of Plant and energy yield calculations and optimization
- Carry out technical due diligence for potential greenfield renewable asset acquisitions: reviewing development and construction risks, capital estimates, operational and performance data, reports and contracts to generate the long-term costs and participate in overall valuation activities
- Identify, engage and act in the capacity of owner engineer with 3rd party engineering firm to carry out engineering efforts through the development project life cycle
- Prepare site maps and documentation for internal and external users
- Support the Environmental Specialist in permitting and regulatory planning including: engaging municipalities, researching applicable regional permits requirements & setbacks, ensure fulfillment of ongoing commitments, etc
- Complete life cycle cost analysis of project alternatives considering: turbine siting, turbine type, wake losses, environmental / stakeholder / landowner / construction constraints, collection system and substation layout
- Prepare preliminary Design Basis Memorandum or Functional Specifications for use by EPC(M) contractors as well as contribute to cost estimate development and provide support to the construction Project Manager
- Write technical material to include in customer proposals
- Support major equipment procurement processes and Major Component Supply Agreements negotiation
- Maintain up to date knowledge of technological, environmental, and social changes impacting renewable project development and operations
- Maintain collaborative customer, colleague, partner and supplier relationships
- Assist with drafting of major agreements, such as Power Purchase Agreement, Turbine Supply Agreement, etc
- Join an organization focused on a strategic, long-term growth in renewables
- Exposure to multiple, unique renewable development projects with varying size and scope throughout Canada and the U.S
- Join an organization involved in the identification, development, construction and operations/ownership of renewable projects
- Join a small but highly motivated team giving exposure to all aspects of the business, increasing professional development and career growth, and a team that is focused on achieving success through a multifaceted and collaborative approach
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Act as a key contributor and strong team player within the Renewables team in supporting the successful completion of advanced, on-time and on-budget projects
- Successfully demonstrate the ability to prioritize/reprioritize multiple competing tasks and projects
- Demonstrated ability to deliver value through project optimization, understanding the risk-reward trade-offs inherent in projects
- Ability to step in and hit the ground running at any given stage of a project
- Play a key role in supporting the development and execution of greenfield and acquisition project opportunities in both Canada and the U.S
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Diploma in Science / Engineering / Physics / Math or equivalent and / or professional designation in engineering (P. Eng.) mechanical, civil or electrical and / or PMP designation or a Diploma in Engineering Technology and equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years of engineering and/or project management experience with a focus on development phase, having worked on wind/solar generation projects in Canada and/or USA
- Experience in CAPEX estimation with a focus on early stage projects in Canada and/or USA
- Demonstrated knowledge of wind/solar plant equipment and their performance
- Contract review and negotiation experience
Competencies and Attributes
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required for presentations, report writing and proposal writing, including the ability to express technical concepts to laypersons
- Advanced knowledge of mapping software such as ArcGISSkills in MS Project or Primavera, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Solid understanding of industry trends and guidelines and third-party expertise in resource analysis, including error sources
- Good understanding of techniques for resource analysis
- Expert in specialized software for wind /solar modelling such as WindPro, OpenWind WAsP, PVCase/PVCaad and PVSyst,
- Exceptional analytical skills using spreadsheets and plant performance evaluation software, processes and programs to manipulate large amounts of data and develop tools and procedures for data quality assurance
- Ability to improvise and deliver innovative solutions in the face of conflicting project requirements
- Basic understanding of power marketing and the impact of plant operations on marketing efforts
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AMUK-022868 Renewable Project Engineer – TransAlta Corporation - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.