President – Women Building Futures
Women Building Futures transforms women’s lives.
Through awareness, training and opportunity, Woman Building Futures (“WBF”) prepares women for careers leading to economic prosperity and together with their partners, WBF champions a more inclusive workforce.
WBF’s areas of expertise include workforce attraction, assessment and essential skills training, workforce training, workforce coaching, job search training and job retention support.
WBF is built on a foundation of operational excellence and adheres to a strong set of core values that reflect what is truly important to the organization. These values represent the constant beacon by which they make decision as a company and individual employees everyday.
- Safety | WBF instils a culture of safety and empowers graduates to keep workplaces safe
- Compassion | WBF shows humanity and acceptance and is mindful of the impact of their words and actions
- Teamwork | WBF collaborates in pursuit of their vision
- Empowerment | WBF instills confidence and autonomy in others and in themselves
- Trust | WBF delivers on their promises and believes others will do the same
- Sustainability | WBF is committed to building long-term organization sustainability
- Courage | WBF encourages innovation and accepts failures as lesson that make them stronger
For more information, please visit their website at womenbuildingfutures.com
Job Title: President
Reports to: Board of Director
Location: Edmonton, AB
As the key leadership role within Women Building Futures (“WBF”), the President will work closely with the Board of Directors to realize WBF’s vision. As the liaison between the Board and Senior Leadership Team, the President has a critical role in shaping, communicating and implementing WBF’s vision, values and strategy.
As the face of the organization, the President will cultivate excellent relations both internally, to promote and engaged and productive work force, and externally with key stakeholders.
Key to success in this role will be the President’s ability to effectively operationalize the strategic and business plan and ensure the organizational structure and business plans support the team’s ability to achieve organizational goals. Additional responsibilities include building and leading the team, cultivating operational and fiscal excellence, ensuring the execution of critical training deliverables, and managing performance targets.
- Instigate and oversee the strategic planning and corporate budgeting processes and ensure inclusivity across the organization, including the engagement of the Board;
- Ensure strategic priorities are met;
- Identify opportunities for WBF to leverage cross-program strengths to take advantage of new opportunities and to address operational issues to ensure fluid scaling potential;
- Identify meaningful key performance indicators to guide organizational health; and
- Ensure financial accountability and effective stewardship of the organization.
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership and mentorship by being involved in all programs and being knowledgeable of all the organization’s functional areas;
- Build and motivate a team of leaders who are committed to the vision of the organization, and who feel empowered to work collaboratively in support of the mission;
- Champion the development of a sound performance management system supportive of the culture and results;
- Spearhead specific accountability measures for business units based on over-arching team and business metrics;
- Establish succession planning and the continuous growth of internal capacity and leadership development;
- Create and nurture a positive culture that encompasses the highest ethical standards in alignment with WBF’s core values;
- Guide and motivate staff through the organization’s growth;
- Inspire staff to take action and share responsibility to achieved desired business outcomes; and
- Navigate change and encourage peer leadership and accountability.
- Work collaboratively with the leadership team to be the collective voice of WBF;
- Actively engage with stakeholders to ensure those relationships are strong, trusted and collaborative;
- Represent the organization in the community on a regional and provincial level; and
- Stay apprised and aware of issues impacting the organization.
- Maintain open, transparent communication with the board;
- Support and enable the effectiveness of the board by actioning directives/decisions made at the board level;
- Report regularly to the board on strategic plan execution, financial performance and risk management; and
- Provide leadership in recommending policy on the overall operations of the organization.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the complexity of organization and the system in which it works ranging from day to day operations to the stakeholder environment, including funding sources and models, execution priorities, and leadership team;
- Implement a plan to operationalize strategy indicating key milestones and targets; and
- Develop and maintain comfortable, authentic, positive relationships with key stakeholders including staff, board, and community partners by opening and expanding the lines of communication.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary education in related field;
- MPA or MBA or related professional designation (ie. financial, HR, legal) will be considered a strong asset; and
- Commitment to ongoing learning and professional development especially related to leadership, strategy, culture and governance.
- Minimum of 10 years’ of progressively responsible senior leadership roles;
- Proven ability to develop and execute strategic, business and capital planning and budgeting with a track record of success achieving targets;
- Track record of success leading organizations through change and growth, especially within a culturally diverse environment; working with remote or agile workforces an asset
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading corporate services teams (ie. Information Technology, Human Resources, Finance, Facilities etc.);
- Proven ability to implement structures and process in place to manage a self-sustaining business;
- Track record of success cultivating collaborative partnerships and relationships with key stakeholders;
- Previous experience and knowledge of governance in the not-for-profit sector; and
- Experience or knowledge of the social purpose sector, construction industry and awareness of cultural, economic and social barriers to adult learning and employment (especially for women).
Competencies and Attributes
- Visionary Leadership: Fosters the development of a common vision providing clear direction and priorities and clarifying roles and responsibilities. Sets the tone for the organization’s culture and ensures succession in management and leadership. Ability to challenge the status quo and demonstrate a bias to action.
- Strategic Planning: Develops short and long-range plans that are comprehensive, creative, realistic and effective in meeting goals and objectives, and integrates planning efforts across functions.
- People Leadership: Ability to inspire and focus the Senior Leadership Team toward goal achievement. Demonstrates behaviors consistent with the organization’s values and demands same from others, and develop performance standards and practices to ensure accountability , and positive growth opportunities.
- Business and Financial Acumen: Understands key business fundamentals, understands the drivers of financial health and accountability of the organization and takes responsibility to maintain its ongoing fiscal soundness and operational effectiveness.
- Relationship with Board and Stakeholders: Builds trusting relationships with the Board and stakeholders by being open in the sharing and receiving of information and sees these groups as partners in furthering WBF’s goals. Proactively seeks partnership and collaboration with external organizations to ensure long-term strategic success.
- Management of Ambiguity: Adapts effortlessly to changes in priorities, circumstances and environment; is energized by the opportunity to put their mark on an evolving organization.
- Political Acumen: Possesses keen judgement and a heightened ability to perceive the formal and informal influences on a situation. Correctly reads contextual cues and uses the information to frame and sell ideas, influence others, negotiate, persuade, build networks, initiate and manage change.
- Communication: Communicates effectively with stakeholders on goals, plans and issues and seeks feedback and advice before acting.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A016000 (AJJR-108851) President – Women Building Futures - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.