President – Northern Development & Investment Group Inc.
Northern Development & Investment Group Inc. (“NDIG”) is a fully integrated commercial real estate investment and development company based in Edmonton, Alberta, with a portfolio of retail, industrial and agri-business properties across Alberta. The portfolio is diversified, stable, and profitable.
NDIG is a private business owned by two entrepreneurial families that originally settled in Northern Alberta over a century ago and have been committed to sustainable economic development in Alberta. NDIG started as one of many small businesses their families have owned and operated in this province. They are proud to have consistently held themselves to the highest standards of integrity, excellence, and performance in partnering with their employees, clients, partners, and suppliers.
- The Golden Rule: Treat others as you wish to be treated – with honesty, dignity, and respect.
- Putting Customers’ Needs First: Focus first and foremost on serving the needs of our customers in a professional and timely manner.
- Integrity: Being ethically unyielding and honest. Inspiring trust by saying what we mean and matching our behaviours to our words.
- Accountability: The willingness to take responsibility for one’s own actions.
- Collaboration and Learning: Fostering a collaborative and mutually supportive work environment. Allowing everyone to voice their opinion, seek new opportunities, to learn, to improve, to teach and to add value.
- Stewardship: Fulfilling our obligation of building a better and more durable company for future employees. Meeting our commitments to our stakeholders, and of protecting the brand of the Company.
For more information, please visit: https://northerndevelopments.com/
|Reports to:||Board of Directors|
|Direct Reports:||4 – (1) Property Manager, (2) Building and Operations, (1) Administrative|
The President reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for providing strategic leadership to NDIG by working with the Board, family members involved, and employees to establish long-range goals, strategies, plans and policies.
The successful candidate will leverage their intimate working knowledge of the operations of real estate assets, as well as an understanding of what attracts long-term tenancies to build value in their portfolio. The President will also develop and execute strategies that will judiciously deploy capital on new development opportunities to further grow their portfolio.
Interaction with the Board of Directors and Shareholders (Family Members):
- Ensure successful integration between corporate and family goals;
- In collaboration with the Board, set reporting structure, framework and timing of regular Board meetings;
- Authoring business case scenarios for presentation to the Board of Directors to attain new levels s of growth and further diversity the company’s portfolio; and
- Provide timely, accurate, and complete information to the Board to enable it to carry out its duties and obligations.
- Assume responsibility for business results for the organization as a whole;
- Oversee, review and analyze operations through financial statements and monthly reporting packages;
- Assist in the design, implementation, and periodic review of control systems, policies and procedures;
- Oversee and support operational day to day management in all elements of the operation, including, leadership of your direct reports;
- Act as a key representative and spokesperson for the company;
- Ensure roles are properly defined and organized and that team members are properly deployed to address them;
- Build personal credibility within the organization through strong management and interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and genuine care and concern for the shareholders and employees;
- Oversee business operations across the company to ensure efficiency, quality, service and cost-effective management of resources; and
- Bring a pragmatic and defensible approach to business, understanding when to use outside experts and resources, and when in-house capabilities will suffice.
- Prudently manage the portfolio in a manner which ensures an acceptable return for the family while preserving the portfolio’s capital base;
- Ensure accurate timely preparation and presentation of management reports;
- Ensure preparation of an annual operating budget and management plan for NDIG and its related companies;
- Ensure NDIG standard documents are consistent and used in the negotiations and eventual documentation with tenants;
- Assist in the appraisal and financing requirements of NDIG portfolio properties; and
- Comply with all authority limits set by the board from time to time including signing authority for the corporation and its bank accounts including all aspects of leasing, property management and budget expenditures.
- Possess a long-term perspective on the business with a focus on the stable growth of progressively larger developments;
- Identify, investigate, and analyze project development opportunities;
- Prepare and present a project review of proposed developments for approval by the Board of Directors;
- Supervise and work collaboratively with a team of consultants including lenders, attorneys, architects, engineers, contractors, and others;
- Direct the development team in the design, planning, and tendering of all approved projects;
- Obtain financing and/or partnerships for the projects;
- Oversee the project construction, marketing and leasing for NDIG projects; and
- Ensure NDIG projects achieve the established goals of development, leasing, and financial performance.
- NDIG is a well-established organization with a track record of exceptional business performance;
- NDIG is a solid professional team that is highly stable and are a growing organization;
- NDIG’s portfolio and low vacancy rate and are top of the class for their industry;
- NDIG has an entrepreneurial spirit supportive by an active Board of Directors who provide input and guidance to the President;
- NDIG believes that those who produce should share the rewards: and
- The President will have the opportunity to fully utilize and build on their talent and creativity in planning, identifying, purchasing and/or developing projects which align to the success of the organization.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build trusting, open, collaborative, and respective relationships throughout the organization including the Board of Directors, clients, and external service providers;
- Manage and complete the Creekside Business Park project;
- Continue maintaining NDIG’s existing portfolio and occupancy rate of 95% +; and
- Identify new development opportunities along with execution plans.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, International Business, or related field experience. Other education and or combined experience in commercial, agribusiness or industrial real estate development will be considered.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in the retail and industrial real estate marketplace in Canada, specific to Alberta is an asset but not mandatory;
- A strong background in managing retail and industrial real estate, including, all aspects of development, leasing, financing, acquisitions, and dispositions as well as all financial aspects related to such activities;
- Has experience with partnering with high net-worth individuals and corporations with real estate investments;
- Has a broad network of trusted relationships in the retail and industrial real estate brokerage community;
- Ability to be discreet and reliable while handling and protecting highly confidential internal and external financial and personal information;
- A dynamic manager, overseeing internal and external resources, demanding, and achieving excellence; and
- Encompass personal and professional integrity, a clear sense of purpose, strong work ethic, and high level of professionalism.
Competencies and Attributes
- Business and Financial Acumen: Understands key business fundamentals, understands the drivers of financial health and accountability of the organization, and takes responsibility to maintain its ongoing fiscal soundness.
- Commercial Mindset: Understanding the business and paying attention to business problems (complex and less complex) from all angles. Applying knowledge of the business and marketplace to negotiate and structure interactions. Not only understanding key financial and commercial fundamentals, but more importantly how to incorporate a commercial thinking mindset into every major decision made.
- Communication: Communicates effectively with all levels of the organization. Open to receiving constructive feedback and willing to engage in robust healthy discussion to foster the spirit of continuous improvement. Ability to provide and express information in a clear, concise manner and to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Collaborative Leadership: Collaborative leader that provides the coaching, support, encouragement, and direction required to engage and empower employees in the accomplishment of project goals and objectives. Models’ positive leadership behaviors and maintains professionalism under pressure and uncertainty. Provides timely feedback and guidance to employees, ensuring their development and success is supported. Ability to adapt leadership style to different audiences as needed.
- Detailed: Ability to process detailed information effectively and consistently. Handles details meticulously and makes very few mistakes. Demonstrates commitment to accuracy.
- Drives Results: Infuses the team and organizations with a sense of urgency. Creates a culture where organizational performance is always top of mind. Communicates a clear vision, sets priorities, develops, and executes plans that achieve the desired outcome for organization’s growth goals. Thrives within a dynamic, growing environment. Effectively prioritizes tasks to meet all deadlines. Ability to manage and allocate resources as needed to meet tasks with competing deadlines.
- Relationship Builder: Ability to identify and initiate working relationships and to develop and maintain them in a way that is of mutual benefit to both parties. Demonstrates self-awareness, maturity, and integrity in all relationships.
- Strategic Planning: Develops short and long-range plans that are comprehensive,
- Teamwork: Builds commitment to a common vision and shared values. Uses the team dynamics to create an open and constructively critical group that pushes the development of everyone. Will work hands on with the team when needed.
NDIG is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and enriches our work and is essential to operational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Optimum Talent and NDIG throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AVDT-685861 President – Northern Development & Investment Group Inc. - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.