President – Mayfair Lumber Sales Ltd.
Mayfair Lumber Sales Ltd. is an independent Canadian wholesale distributor of lumber products serving both the Canadian and American markets. The company’s distribution centre, manufacturing facility and head office are located in Calgary, Alberta.
In April of 1976, a small two-man lumber wholesaling operation first hung out its shingle on MacLeod Trail in Calgary. That event was the foundation for today’s Mayfair Lumber Sales Ltd., proudly celebrating 40 years as an independently owned, Alberta-based company. B & L Lumber was acquired in 1992 and operated as a distinct entity until 1998 when it was merged into Mayfair. Besides adding to the company’s customer base, this growth has driven an increase in Mayfair’s experienced sales and support staff, from the original two to the 43 current employees. On the operations end, a recent expansion of the lumber remanufacturing facility, located adjacent to the main sales office and distribution yard in Calgary’s Foothills Industrial Park, has created another successful area for Mayfair.
Under the leadership of President and founder Hank Dahl, the company’s sales staff has developed excellent business relationships both with customers in Western Canada and the United States and the major mills. The company incorporates integrity, high professional standards and extraordinary service in meeting the demands of the industry and its customers. The personality of Mayfair is as unique as the people who make it all work through their efforts in maintaining supplier and customer relationships. The skills and enthusiasm of managers, salesmen and support staff have been essential in making Mayfair one of the most successful wholesale lumber businesses in Western Canada today. The long term growth and achievement of Mayfair stems from its commitment to customers to ensure their ultimate satisfaction with both service and product.
Another major key in the success of Mayfair has been the constancy of the objectives and values of the company since 1976. Maintaining the highest professional standards, recognizing potential and providing an enjoyable and rewarding work atmosphere have been at the core of the company since its foundation. “COMMITMENT TO SERVICE” is the long-standing watchword of Mayfair Lumber Sales Ltd.
For further information about Mayfair Lumber Sales Ltd., please visit their website at http://www.mayfairlumber.com/History.html
Job Title: President
Reports to:Advisory Board
The Team: The organization is comprised of 29 employees.
Direct Report Departments- Trading, Remanufacturing, Finance and Administration, Warehouse and Logistics
Location: Calgary, Alberta
As the face of the organization, the President will be responsible for establishing the short and long-term strategic goals of Mayfair Lumbers Sales Ltd (“Mayfair Lumber”). The President will oversee the workforce, guarantee proper allocation of resources, develop operational infrastructure, and ensure all departments are meeting their objectives. The successful candidate is a proven leader with strong financial and operational business acumen. This key decision-maker has proven success in using innovative and entrepreneurial thinking in driving forward the strategy and future of the business.
- Provide visionary and strategic leadership to the organization through engaging the team and company ownership in identifying long-term strategy and goals
- Provide day-to-day leadership, ensuring long-term goals are supported by short-term objectives across the organization
- Establish a positive, healthy, and safe work environment while fostering a clearly defined culture which are in alignment with the company’s core values
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities on both sides of the business (sales and remanufacturing)
- Promote professional development within a team environment ensuring staff are held accountable and are given the opportunity to be successful
- Execute annual performance reviews on direct reports and ensure that the performance review process is implemented throughout the organization
- Oversee the company’s operations through the development of goals for all key operating units (Trading, Remanufacturing, Warehouse & Logistics)
- Develop, establish and maintain KPI’s for each operational unit, successfully driving the future growth of the business
- Work in collaboration with the advisory team in establishing a new organizational structure supporting both the current and future needs of the business
- Develop clear job descriptions for the organization, holding all members of the team accountable to their responsibilities
Market and Brand Leadership
- Establish and solidify a clear brand for the organization
- Direct oversight of key customer relationships, corporate, sales and marketing activities, brand positioning, and market pricing while working collaboratively with customers and supplies in understanding and adjusting to market conditions
- Work with the advisory board in the identification of alliances, partnerships, and investment opportunities
Financial Planning and Management
- Provide direct oversight over internal controls and accounting procedures focusing on safeguarding the organizations financial resources while working closely with auditors in identifying and mitigating risks
- Manage the monthly submission of financial statement, operational performance reports and all other relevant information to ownership
- Oversee all corporate infrastructure and systems
- Oversee all human resource processes such as employee performance management, recruitment and succession planning, employee benefits and employee training and development are clearly defined and documented
- Create and implement change management strategies where necessary
- Join a long-standing, profitable, family owned privately held business
- Join an organization that is well-positioned with the resources and capacity for organic, long-term growth
- As a key member of the leadership team, the President will play a crucial role and have autonomy in the creation and implementation of Mayfair Lumber’s strategic direction moving forward
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Learn the intricacies of the business and manufacturing process including customers, competitive advantages, systems, and processes
- Build trusting relationships with all employees while thoughtfully integrating into the organizations culture
- Define and develop a new organizational structure clarifying role definitions and responsibilities for all employees
- Work with the advisory group in successfully identifying investment opportunities
- Continue to maintain strong relationships with current vendors and suppliers while identifying opportunities for new alliances
- Design and establish KPI’s aligning with the strategic goals of the organization
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Proven track record as a flexible, inclusive and progressive operational leader
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with wholesale lumber sales and remanufacturing is preferred – equivalent experience will be considered
- Flexible, inclusive, and progressive leadership experience
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit complimented by the ability to anticipate change and proactive and effectively create a response plan
- Experience in building, leading, motivating, and retaining a team of sales and manufacturing personnel
- A strong track record of leading teams in accomplishing strategic objectives
- Experience championing change management initiatives including the ability to deal with cultural shifts
Competencies and Attributes
- Strong business acumen
- Ability to articulate and carry out a shared vision, transmit optimism and collaborate in the design and understanding of purpose-driven goals
- Excellent verbal/written communication, combined with the ability to interact and gain the support and buy in of the team
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to handle multiple competing priorities
- A ‘doer’ capable of leading the way through working side-by-side with team members
- Innovative and entrepreneurial mindset
- Results-driven, this individual thrives on the success and growth of the company and its culture
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AMAM-031773 President – Mayfair Lumber Sales Ltd. - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.