FACTOR (the Foundation Assisting Canadian Talent on Recordings) is a public/private partnership that supports the production of sound recordings by Canadian musicians and helps Canadian music companies make recordings available to a wider public.
FACTOR plays a critically important role in the growth and development of the Canadian music industry. Its success is reflected in the success of the artists, companies, conferences and events that it funds, an achievement that it is proud to share with the world. Since its inception in 1986, FACTOR’s impact on the Canadian music industry cannot be overstated. Its influence is evident in all areas of the country and sectors of the industry. Its reputation as a powerful supporter of the music industry is admired both in Canada and around the world.
FACTOR is a national organization engaging with all regions of the country in developing and promoting Canadian musical talent. Whether an artist is looking to record a few tracks, a full-length sound recording, market and promote an existing album or showcase and tour at home or abroad, funding is available. In addition, FACTOR supports the infrastructure that must be in place for arts and music entrepreneurs to progress in Canada and the international arena. For more detailed information about FACTOR and some of the artists and projects that it has funded, please go to www.FACTOR.ca.
FACTOR is committed to reflecting the diversity of the Canadian population in its programs and operations. It is committed to ensuring universal access to all funds and services, including all musical expressions and talent. FACTOR is also committed to encouraging diversity and inclusiveness within the broader Canadian music sector.
Building on the success of the past three decades, FACTOR is poised to expand its partnership and networks to open even more new opportunities for Canadian music and musicians. In a rapidly changing environment for the industry, FACTOR’s role is pivotal for the ongoing success of Canadian artists and businesses. This is an exciting time for the industry and the organization!
Job Title: President
Reports to: The FACTOR Board of Directors
After a very successful track record the current President of FACTOR is retiring. He leaves the organization in a strong financial position with effective working relationships with all of FACTOR’S stakeholders. As the music industry continues to evolve and change the new PRESIDENT will need to build on that legacy and work with stakeholders and staff to strategically develop new methods of creating, promoting and supporting the development of musical talent in Canada.
Key to success in this role is the ability to work closely with a broad group of stakeholders. The President is accountable to an eleven-person Board whose members represent the radio broadcast and the independent music sectors. The President and Board also receive consultation from a National Advisory Board (NAB) comprised of representatives from all provincial and territorial music industry associations, a Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Board, the Canadian Independent Music Association (CIMA), Music Publishers Canada (MPC), the Music Managers Forum (MMF) and other stakeholders.
The President is also responsible directly with the Board for maintaining a productive relationship with the Department of Canadian Heritage, a significant source of revenue. An important part of FACTOR’s mandate is to ensure that the goals of the government in supporting the growth of the music industry across Canada are realized.
For a talented leader who shares FACTOR’S passion and commitment to the Canadian music industry, and adept at working with multiple stakeholders in a fast paced environment, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Leadership and Stakeholder Engagement
- Takes a strategic leadership role toward the growth and development of the Canadian music industry
- Acts as a champion and spokesperson for FACTOR ensuring through effective communications and collaboration that stakeholders, both institutions and individuals, are well informed and engaged in FACTOR’s mandate
- Works to ensure that people from marginalized communities are aware of and are able to pursue opportunities in the music funding system
- Manages FACTOR’s relationship with all external stakeholders
- Develops strategic and annual Business Plans and Budgets for Board approval and manages the Corporation’s operations to implement these plans
- Manages the Executive, Audit, Program Review, Governance, Nominations, Approvals and Communications committees of the Board as well as any ad hoc committees that may be established
- Provides timely updates on all matters of significance, internal and external through the Executive Committee of the Board
Operational and Human Resource Management
Through a talented team:
- Oversees the planning, implementation and evaluation of FACTOR’s programs, projects and client services
- Seeks out opportunities for innovation that allow the organization to be both efficient and effective in the delivery of its mandate
- Ensures directly that jobs are designed to attract, develop and retain talented employees who have a passion for the music industry and a focus on client service
- Establishes a positive, healthy and respectful work environment which nurtures diversity, inclusion, growth and engagement
- Demonstrated dynamic and visionary leadership
- A track record of building and sustaining numerous partnerships through interpersonal skills, industry expertise and collaboration
- Experience reporting to a non-profit Boards of Directors and an understanding of their responsibilities
- Seasoned business executive with a track record of successful leadership in the music industry business sector or a comparable field
- Post- secondary education in a related field with a business focus
- Willingness to travel regularly inside and outside Canada
- Comfortable working with a variety of stakeholders, including the board, Heritage Canada, musicians and their representatives, a wide range of interested parties in the music industry
- Solid business and political acumen
- Level-headed/calm/resilient leadership approach
- Knowledge and direct experience with government programs that fund and support the Canadian music industry nationally and regionally, in particular the Canada Music fund.
- Knowledge of the radio industry and the funding system through the CRTC
- Familiarity and relationships with Provincial and Territorial Music Industry Associations
- Strong Relationships with the Music Policy and Programs Directorate at Heritage Canada (or comparable)
- Working knowledge of French highly desirable
- Exposure and/or experience in any of the following:
- Canadian music export markets
- Business economics of music industry Canadian and generally
- Canadian music publishing industry
- Sound recording projects
- Other aspects of the industry’s infrastructure
- A “high/low” leadership style; can move easily between strategy and execution; can see end goals and the steps that need to be taken, willing to roll up his/her sleeves when required.
- Intellectually nimble, curious; enjoys working in a highly technical and complex environment
- A capable, caring, inclusive and visible leader with a track record of building strong, innovative and resilient management teams
- Strong people management skills – a track record of instilling trust and promoting an environment of teamwork and collaborative decision making and mutually respectful employee relations
- Highly motivated self-starter with a collegial style and low ego needs
- Strong communication and consulting skills, in particular, relationship building, influencing & negotiating
- Proven ability to foster and maintain key external relationships over time.
- A demonstrated understanding of FACTOR’s deep commitment to social responsibility
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AUJF-056221 President- FACTOR - ON - Toronto (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.