President & Chief Executive Officer – University Hospital Foundation
Established in 1962 and governed by a volunteer Board of Trustees, the University Hospital Foundation (the Foundation or UHF) has evolved into one of the most successful healthcare fundraising organizations in Canada; having achieved “high performer” status for the past five years through the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy’s (AHP) Performance Benchmarking Service and having achieved Imagine Canada certification. The Foundation values the opportunity to compare itself to its peers, and consistently seeks to improve efficiencies and impact.
With a mission of “advancing the health of Albertans by connecting generosity to support innovation and excellence at the University of Alberta Hospital, the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute and the Kaye Edmonton Clinic”, the Foundation strives to ensure that donations make the most significant impact possible and gives donors confidence that their donations are wisely spent through comprehensive, transparent financial reporting.
The University of Alberta Hospital site (Edmonton) is renowned for many areas of specialization which include central and northern Alberta’s only Level 1 trauma centre; world class brain and heart care programs; one of only two dedicated burn units in Canada; and Canada’s busiest multi-transplant program. Donor gifts to the University Hospital Foundation support advancements in patient care, fund innovative clinical research and education, and help purchase advanced medical technology that leads to faster and more accurate diagnosis and treatment.
The University Hospital Foundation works closely in partnership with the leadership teams at the University Hospital site, which includes the University of Alberta Hospital, the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute, and the Kaye Edmonton Clinic (all located in Edmonton).
For further information on the University Hospital Foundation, please visit: www.GiveToUHF.ca
Job Title: President & CEO
Reports to: Board of Trustees
Direct Reports: Five (5:)
- Vice President, Philanthropy
- Vice President, Strategic Partnerships
- Vice President, Finance & Operations
- Vice President, Marketing & Communications
- Executive Assistant & Board Secretary
Indirect Reports: 40+
Location: Edmonton, AB
The President & CEO is charged with advancing the mission and vision of the Foundation by providing strategic leadership and oversight of all aspects of the Foundation while implementing and executing the Foundation’s Board of Trustees’ approved Strategic Plan. This includes overseeing all board affairs, fundraising, capital campaigns, strategic partnerships, marketing & communications, special events and operations, while also leading major and transformational fundraising.
- Engage with the board in annual and long-term strategic planning with responsibility for the implementation of long-range objectives;
- Support the development of a robust fundraising strategy;
- Ensure strategic priorities (including current and future funding needs) are met; and
- Ensure financial accountability and effective stewardship of the Foundation.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to direct reports through establishing, implementing and monitoring goals and metrics;
- Build and motivate a team of leaders who are committed to the vision of the Foundation, and who feel empowered to think entrepreneurially and work collaboratively in support of the mission;
- Establish succession planning and the continuous growth of internal capacity and leadership development as a strategic priority;
- Continue the emphasis on alignment of vision and “fighting for each other” in order to achieve organizational success; and
- Champion a culture of internal excellence that emphasizes not only the “what” but the “how” of achieving results.
Advocacy & Stakeholder Relations
- Actively engage with stakeholders including donors, physicians, AHS, industry, volunteers, the University of Alberta, other health philanthropies, etc. to ensure those relationships are strong, trusted and collaborative;
- Ensure that formal partnerships are established that align with and further the mission of supporting innovation and excellence at the University of Alberta Hospital, the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute and the Kaye Edmonton Clinic;
- Represent the University Hospital Foundation in the philanthropic community on the regional, provincial and national levels; and
- Stay apprised and aware of issues impacting the Foundation.
- Grow affinity and support for the University Hospital Foundation by overseeing and participating in identifying, cultivating and stewarding key relationships;
- Develop strategies to solicit and secure major, capital campaign and planned gifts;
- Develop relationships with prospective and current donors to understand their interests;
- Maintain an excellent professional relationship with hospital staff to understand major programs, medical research priorities and funding needs (outside of regular government funding) to support alignment with donor interests;
- Ensure robust accountability, stewardship and donor recognition;
- Drive effective resource allocation to balance costs with return for fundraising efforts; and
- Ensure donor interests are aligned to the University of Alberta site objectives and priorities.
- Maintain open, transparent communication with the board;
- Support and enable the effectiveness of the board by actioning directives/decisions made at the board level;
- Report regularly to the board on strategic plan execution, financial performance and risk management;
- Engage board members to engage their networks and to actively participate in philanthropic requests;
- Advise the board on trends in fundraising and in the philanthropic sector; and
- Provide leadership in recommending policy on the overall operations of the Foundation.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the complexity of the Foundation and the system in which it works ranging from day to day operations, to appreciation of the investment strategy for assets under management, to the complex stakeholder environment;
- Execute on the established strategies for growth as set out in the comprehensive strategic plan;
- Meet all established budget/financial goals laid out in the first year, including both cost and revenue targets;
- Maintain compliance with all standards required to maintain Imagine Canada accreditation; and
- Develop and maintain comfortable, authentic, positive relationships with key stakeholders including staff, board, donors, physicians and community partners by opening and expanding the lines of communication.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Undergraduate degree;
- Master’s Degree or equivalent is welcomed; and
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation is welcomed.
- Minimum of 10 years’ of progressively responsible experience in professional fundraising, account management, relationship management, sales or marketing roles;
- Proven track record of success in managing, cultivating and securing gifts (having personally secured multiple six and seven figure gifts);
- Demonstrated experience managing a government relations portfolio;
- Experience with capital campaign management;
- Experience in recruiting and motivating volunteers on fundraising for major gifts and capital campaigns;
- Knowledgeable in best practices and performance metrics related to fundraising and prospect research; and
- Understanding and experience in effectively navigating complex organizations such as health care and higher education.
Competencies and Attributes
- Strategic Leadership: Fosters the development of a common vision providing clear direction and priorities and clarifying roles and responsibilities. Sets the tone for the Foundation’s culture and ensures succession in management and leadership.
- Strategic Planning: Develops short and long-range plans that are comprehensive, creative, realistic and effective in meeting goals and objectives, and integrates planning efforts across functions.
- People Leadership: Ability to inspire and focus the Senior Leadership Team toward goal achievement. Demonstrates behaviors consistent with Foundation values and demands same from others.
- Business and Financial Acumen: Understands key business fundamentals, understands the drivers of financial health and accountability of the Foundation and takes responsibility to maintain its ongoing fiscal soundness.
- Relationship with Board and Stakeholders: Builds trusting relationships with the Board and stakeholders by being open in the sharing and receiving of information and sees these groups as partners in furthering Foundation goals. Proactively seeks partnership and collaboration with external organizations to ensure long-term strategic success.
- Management of Ambiguity: Adapts effortlessly to changes in priorities, circumstances and environment; is energized by the opportunity to put their mark on an evolving organization.
- Political Acumen: Possesses keen judgement and a heightened ability to perceive the formal and informal influences on a situation. Correctly reads contextual cues and uses the information to frame and sell ideas, influence others, negotiate, persuade, build networks, initiate and manage change.
- Communication: Communicates effectively with stakeholders on goals, plans and issues and seeks feedback and advice before acting.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A014848 (ARHE-510152 President & Chief Executive Officer – University Hospital Foundation - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.