President & Chief Executive Officer – Union Benefits
Optimum talent is pleased to be partnering with Union Benefits on search mandate for their next President & CEO. Union Benefits has a unique business model where the company is owned by the multi-employer union Trust Funds that comprise the company’s client base. Working within a “co-operative, no profit” operating structure, Union Benefits strives to deliver industry leading benefit and pension services/programs on an “at-cost” basis.
With a team of 23 employees, the company serves two levels of clients: the Union Locals’ Boards of Trustees who govern the Trust Funds that sponsor the benefit, pension and ancillary benefits; and the individual union members who participate in those plans.
Union Benefits coordinates two very important pension investment programs and one non-registered investment program. The organization continues to develop and execute a rolling three-year strategic business plan focused on increasing shareholder value through increasing services/programs, controlling costs and corporate growth. Identify industry trends and position the Company to ensure its’ competitive advantages are maintained or increased. Creatively seek opportunities to expand the Company’s services or programs delivered to clients while ensuring the benefit/cost balance is continually enhanced.
Job Title: President & Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: Four Senior Managers – Client Management (2), Operations, Finance
Location: Waterloo, ON
Union Benefits is looking for a growth-oriented, client-service focused President & CEO to lead it through this next chapter. Reporting to a supportive Board of Directors, the new President & CEO will hone the “service-first” delivery model while strategically introducing innovative benefit and pension services and products to deliver increased value to its’ multi-employer union client base. The CEO will be an experienced senior executive with a strong financial services background who is looking to take the next career step to the “top job” where they can apply an entrepreneurial spirit and steady, confident leadership qualities. As you take in the vista of the seismic shifts taking place in the industry, you will develop strategic programs and “alliances” to position the company to continue it’s thirty-eight-year history.
- Create the long-term vision for expanding services and programs, reducing costs and thereby generating significant savings for Shareholders / Clients.
- Create the rolling 3-year strategic business plan; oversee implementation of the plan.
- Identify industry trends and opportunities to position Union Benefits to build its competitive advantages.
- Build and maintain relationships with members, potential clients, Trust Fund Management, and external service providers.
- Oversee the development of a long-term technology strategy to improve client service and/or reduce operating costs.
- Ability to shift between being strategic, forward thinking and being hands-on to “get the job done” approach.
- Responsibility for managing the Company’s overall corporate financial activity – balancing sustainable client revenue with effective cost control; financial oversight and management of the real estate holding company which owns property that the Company operates from.
- Balance controlling company costs with investing in people, systems and programs that increase the value delivered to the Trust Fund clients and plan members.
- Oversight of the accounting function provided to 35+ Trust Funds including responsibility for their monthly financial statement preparation and annual audit activity in conjunction with an external audit firm.
- Promote sound financial and risk management practices and provide advice supporting the long-term financial sustainability of the Trust Funds managed by the client Boards of Trustees to ensure they can deliver their benefit/pension promises over the long term.
- Observe the highest ethical standards in all dealings with trust fund management, Boards of Trustees, suppliers and other service providers.
- Negotiate fee arrangements and contracts with main product and service suppliers.
- Oversee and manage the general legal affairs of the Company.
- Ensure appropriate corporate filings are made in a timely manner.
- Engage corporate legal counsel and employment legal counsel as required to handle the Company’s affairs.
- Provide legal and corporate support to Shareholders as required.
- Work with Trust Fund Relationship Managers with engaging legal counsel, tax and audit professional to help clients maintain the Trust Fund compliance, address changes to the Trust Fund structure/changes to tax and regulatory environment.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with steady, confident leadership qualities.
- Knowledge of the benefit, pension, trust, institutional investment industries in Canada.
- Demonstrated ability to create compelling and innovative strategies that drive results.
- Strong relationship skills and ability to align individuals, while also being decisive and willing to make tough calls when required.
- Ability to be both a strong external ambassador as well as an effective operational leader.
- A track record of building collaborative employee teams and managing an experienced, motivated employee group.
- Strong interpersonal skills, industry expertise and professional service provider collaboration.
- Comfortable reporting to a Board of Directors and an understanding of their responsibilities.
- Seasoned business executive with a track record of successful leadership in the group benefit, pension industries.
- Post- secondary education in a related field with a business focus.
- Willingness to travel regularly inside and occasionally outside Canada.
- Comfortable working with a variety of stakeholders, including the Board of Directors, Boards of Trustees, actuaries, investment consultants, corporate and employee benefit legal counsel, audit and tax advisors and other professionals or related interest groups.
- Solid business acumen and unwavering ethical mindset.
- Level-headed/calm/resilient leadership approach.
- A “high/low” leadership style; can move easily between strategy and execution.
- Can see end goals and the steps that need to be taken, willing to roll up his/her sleeves when required.
- Intellectually nimble, curious.; enjoys working in a complex environment.
- A capable, caring, inclusive and visible leader with a track record of building strong, innovative and resilient management and staff teams.
- Strong people management skills – a track record of instilling trust and promoting an environment of teamwork and collaborative decision making and mutually respectful employee relations.
- Highly motivated self-starter with a collegial style and low ego needs.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: NJohnson@optimumtalent.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ANJU-275443 President & Chief Executive Officer – Union Benefits - ON - Kitchener/Waterloo (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.