President & Chief Executive Officer – NorQuest College
Inclusive. Student-centred. Relevant and Necessary. Catalyzing.
Exciting. Confident. Progressive.
The world of post-secondary education is changing. And so are we.
NorQuest College has more than doubled its number of learners in the last 10 years – from approximately 7,400 in 2010 to more than 19,000 in 2020. This is not just growth for growth’s sake; we’ve been busy expanding opportunities to help students build their careers and their futures. From the construction of our student-focused Singhmar Centre for Learning, to a cultural transformation that cultivates change to support student success, to embracing the value of our diversity, NorQuest College is maximizing opportunities for students, industry, and the community. We are responsive to the needs of future employers, as embodied by our Workforce Advisory Council that helps direct learning activities to keep our students in demand for the careers of today and tomorrow. And we are supporting learners to overcome obstacles that make learning difficult through programs like 1000 Women: A Million Possibilities, which has raised more than $3.3 million dollars to support the pursuit of education and the achievement of our students’ goals.
Transformation evolves from bold thinking, collaborative action, confident decision-making, and visionary leadership. NorQuest is embracing transformation to grow the college into a key player in Alberta’s economy. We continue to transform our downtown Edmonton campus – the tangible symbol of change at our college. By 2025, we aim to support 40,000 learners to achieve their educational goals. Some might call this an audacious goal, but by aligning our innovative, entrepreneurial and student-focused culture with the value for industry and the community our students bring, we will disrupt the world of higher education.
NorQuest College is a leader in welcoming diversity and embracing inclusion. We are committed to cultivating a culture where every member of our community shares a feeling of belonging and where diversity of perspectives, backgrounds, and life experiences is essential to our success. The essence of this commitment is threaded throughout our key accountabilities. For further information, please visit our website at www.norquest.ca
Job Title: President & CEO
Reports to: NorQuest Board of Governors
Direct Reports: Eight:
- Chief Culture & Transformation Officer
- Chief Customer Experience Officer
- Vice President, Teaching & Learning
- Vice President, People
- Vice President, Business Development
- Vice President, Corporate Services & Finance
- Vice President, External Affairs & Brand
- Chief of Staff
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
The President & CEO leads NorQuest College, a transformative, innovative learning organization.
NorQuest has recently unveiled an exciting new strategic plan: Imagine 2025. The plan embraces bold and innovative thinking, organizational and sector disruption, industry and business partnerships, and long-term financial viability while supporting an ultimate goal: ensuring NorQuest and their learners improve the social and economic well-being of Alberta and its people.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
INNOVATE AND TRANSFORM THE BUSINESS OF LEARNING
- Place the best interests of NorQuest’s customers at the centre of all decision-making
- Lead with courage toward the future of learning, embracing disruption, ambiguity and complexity
- Be entrepreneurial; sustain and grow the value customers receive while pursuing new business models
- Be imaginative and agile; encourage and trial ideas, adapt quickly, and learn from mistakes
- Be bold and decisive; take calculated risks and move forward to achieve NorQuest’s purpose
INSPIRE THE POTENTIAL OF NORQUEST’S TEAM, CUSTOMERS AND COMMUNITY
- Ignite energy and engagement among all stakeholders in NorQuest’s deep purpose
- Embody and unite unwavering commitment to NorQuest’s inclusive culture, values and integrity
- Speak to inspire and motivate connection with NorQuest’s unique brand and story of learner potential
- Exemplify NorQuest’s openness; attract and elevate diversity of thought, cultures and experiences
- Listen, seek and encourage feedback, actively manage and achieve collaboration and high performance
BUILD AND STRENGTHEN NORQUEST’S CAPACITY FOR IMPACT
- Attract and keep critical talent; grow, develop and promote NorQuest’s next generation of leaders
- Advance systems and processes to secure the financial, physical and IT infrastructure needs of the College
- Prioritize and safeguard the physical and psychological health of the NorQuest community
- Encourage business processes to be future focused and continually improving
- Champion the continuous improvement and evolution of NorQuest by advancing their ongoing Cultural Transformation
- Balance talent, capabilities, enterprise risk, costs and services to advance NorQuest’s purpose
ADVANCE EXTERNAL AND BOARD RELATIONSHIPS
- Grow new connections, vibrant partnerships and relationships aligned to NorQuest’s purpose
- Pursue the leading edge; anticipate and set pace with the changes in learning and our community
- Maintain working relationships with all orders of government, external stakeholders, and industry partners
- Work together with the Board of Governors to promote and deliver good governance practices
- Be the external “face” of NorQuest, proactively engaging in all aspects of the community. Be media savvy; engage media (traditional and social) when and where appropriate to support NorQuest’s efforts
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop authentic and trusted/trusting relationships with the Board of Governors, employees and stakeholders;
- Envision and implement thoughtful operational plans in support of achieving NorQuest’s plan: Imagine 2025;
- Facilitate long-term financial stability with a plan to develop alternate revenue sources which could include fund raising, entrepreneurial endeavors, or other innovative approaches;
- Achieve measurable improvement in culture, including empowering staff to be entrepreneurial, disruptive thinkers through the ongoing Culture Transformation;
- Develop a strong sense of the ecosystem of partnerships within the new provincial government, within the municipalities in which we operate, with industry partners, and other key stakeholders; know the players and understand the lay of the land. Demonstrate a solid understanding and knowledge of all stakeholders who can influence positive outcomes for NorQuest;
- Inspire, and then hold the team accountable to the operating principles of being a learner-centric, market-driven, entrepreneurial and integrated organization that makes evidence-based decisions and commits to quality and continuous improvement; and
- Build a presence in the community that reflects proactive engagement with strategic partners.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Relevant post-secondary education; and
- Ongoing commitment to leadership learning.
- Minimum 15 years of business experience with considerable time spent in an executive leadership role; prior CEO experience is welcomed;
- Demonstrated success navigating relationships and leading change within complex, multi-stakeholder environments;
- Possesses considerable experience advancing successful relationships with community leaders in government, corporate, and not for profit sectors; and
- Demonstrates sophisticated knowledge of governance best-practice and/or experience operating within and supporting a board governance structure.
Competencies and Attributes
- Focus on the Future – anticipate how learner and employee needs will change over time, and proactively respond.
- Execute on Plans – drive key business processes to optimize business performance; demonstrate sound judgement, business and financial acumen in decision making; and empower and coach decision-making at the appropriate level.
- Innovate & Lead Change – Question current practices and the status quo, and make changes to improve processes and systems across the organization; shift the thinking about how the College will operate in the future; and support a culture of research and inquiry which includes showing openness and building excitement around new possibilities and opportunities.
- Connect & Collaborate – Take the initiative to seek out and build strategic partnerships and key relationships with external stakeholders; demonstrate and maintain leadership presence throughout the entire organization; and listen to others and exchange information proactively, across teams to create cross-enterprise integration.
- Develop People & Culture – Demonstrate authenticity, vulnerability, and humility and receives feedback openly; demonstrates self-confidence, managerial courage and credibility as a leader; coach, mentor; lead with a focus on NorQuest’s future leaders; create a culture where people embrace the learnings from both successes and failures.
Compensation for this role has been defined through the Post-Secondary Institutions Compensation Regulations as set out by the Government of Alberta. For more information, please refer to: https://www.alberta.ca/abc-compensation.aspx#toc-1 and https://www.alberta.ca/assets/documents/post-secondary-compensation.pdf
EQUITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
As an essential element of their DNA, NorQuest welcomes the unique contributions that candidates can bring in terms of diverse backgrounds and experiences, and encourage applications that represent the diversity of their community.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AMNO-076846 President & Chief Executive Officer – NorQuest College - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.