President & Chief Executive Officer – Good Samaritan Society
The Good Samaritan Society (GSS) is a leading faith-based, not-for-profit, registered charity in Western Canada that provides quality accommodations, health, community care services, and programs to aging individuals in need. From building its first auxiliary hospital in 1955, the Good Samaritan Society provides specialized health and community care services in innovative and caring environments, committed to achieving excellence in health, safety, wellness, and the environment in all aspects of its operations. Their operational effectiveness and overarching culture of service and care make them a provider of choice for individuals and their families seeking a supportive place to call home.
GSS is one of the largest not-for-profit care providers in Alberta (21 locations) and British Columbia (8 sites), with over 4,000 employees and more than 2,000 volunteers who, in the spirit of compassion, serve over 6,000 residents and clients.
Recently “Accredited with Exemplary Standing”, GSS has gone above and beyond the necessary requirements for accreditation and is commended for promoting a culture that lives its Mission, Vision and Values.
Mission – To extend Christian Hospitality through a continuum of care to those in need or at risk, regardless of race or religious belief.
Vision – To grow in strength, excellence, and creativity in caring for others.
Values – Reflecting Christian hospitality, the values of The Good Samaritan Society and Good Samaritan Canada are:
- Healthy Relationships – in a spirit of compassion, we work in supportive partnership and open our hearts to others by affirming their goodness and potential.
- Hospitable Environments – provide safe, comfortable communities inspiring involvement, where people experience a sense of caring, belonging, and purpose.
- Servant Leadership – lead through giving service to others, by acting with courage in a trustworthy and ethical manner.
For more information on The Good Samaritan Society, please visit www.gss.org
|Job Title:||President & Chief Executive Officer|
|Reports to:||Board of Directors|
Reporting into the Board of Directors, the President & Chief Executive Officer (President & CEO) is a dynamic individual with a proven track record of working effectively across public and private sectors to continually improve and enhance relationships with managers, staff, residents, families, physicians, volunteers, industry peers, funders, regulators, and other government representatives.
The President & CEO is the face of GSS, responsible for overall leadership, management, and operation of all aspects of the organization, and for strategic planning. The President & CEO is responsible for the overall programmatic and fiscal integrity of the organization, which brings in revenues of approximately $250 million annually.
The President & CEO provides transformative leadership to approximately 4,000 staff and 2,000 volunteers, working through a skilled Senior Leadership Team. The successful candidate is a mature, energetic, and creative leader who will build on the organization’s commitment to excellence, while welcoming opportunities for new initiatives and entrepreneurial development.
Passionate, strategic, and results-driven, the President & CEO will have an affinity for fostering consensus and demonstrated experience in engaging multiple stakeholder groups. An excellent listener and superb communicator, the President & CEO will have a talent for drawing out the potential of others, recognizing that the most important resource of any organization is its people.
Strategic Leadership & Financial Management
- Engage in annual and long-term strategic planning with responsibility for the implementation of long-range objectives;
- Lead the Senior Leadership Team in the planning, implementation, and management of all aspects of operations, including finance and administration, HR, IT, communications, quality and safety, business development, strategic initiatives, and all other programs;
- Oversee all corporate programs and departments to ensure appropriate staffing, regulatory compliance, and efficient resource management;
- Maintain knowledge of, and compliance with, all regulatory and contractual obligations and ensure standards are met;
- Demonstrate sound fiscal management through effective internal controls;
- Monitor the annual budget and cash flow while continuing to work closely with partners, funders, stakeholders and donors to ensure stability and security of funding;
- Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting, including statements that meet external audit requirements;
- Plan, develop, co-ordinate and monitor the care programs offered by the different sites in accordance with the Mission Vision and Values of GSS;
- Comply with best practices and professional standards;
- Set operational objectives and goals in collaboration with the Senior Leadership Team;
- Plan, develop, implement, review and update GSS’ practices, processes, policies and procedures; and
- Achieve the objectives and key performance targets established in the strategic plan.
- Promote a vibrant culture of quality in service delivery;
- Provide visionary leadership through building and motivating a team of leaders at all levels, that is committed to the vision of GSS; and
- Build positive employee morale, inspire followership and encourage a sense of commonality in attaining goals and targets that support the strategic objectives.
- Work together with the Board of Directors to promote and deliver good governance practices;
- Attend Board meetings and act as an informed and trusted advisor to the Board on all aspects of the organization’s activities;
- Collaborate with the Board in the development of organizational policy and strategy;
- Report regularly with full transparency to the Board on strategic plan execution, people, financial performance and risk management; and
- Drive fundraising efforts in concert with the Board and Senior Leadership Team.
Public Policy and Advocacy
- Understand social, economic, and environmental factors that influence the wellbeing of residents in care;
- Possess in-depth knowledge of funding and operational challenges impacting the long-term-care sector in Alberta and British Columbia; and
- Work to strengthen partnerships within the long-term care sector and foster new ones with government agencies, funders, regulators, elected officials, advocacy groups, and community-based organizations to continually improve and enhance services for individuals in the care of GSS.
- Represent GSS professionally in the community;
- Promote and support partnerships with different orders of government, unions, and other organizations which may impact GSS and the communities in which they serve; and
- Ensure that the formal partnerships established align with the Mission, Vision and Values of GSS.
Opportunities and Challenges
- The incoming President & CEO will have the ability to shape the future for GSS through building new relationships, taking advantage of a growing industry, and through the re-connection and empowerment of a dedicated and long tenured workforce.
- By focusing on funding initiatives, increased financial stability, and demonstrating engagement with health authorities in both provinces, the President & CEO will drive strong relationships and elevate the GSS brand, moving the business forward.
- The Good Samaritan Society is a faith-based organization that is proud of their team of hardworking, dedicated, and loyal employees. From the frontlines to the head office, the incoming President & CEO will be supported by employees who deeply care about the organization’s ability to provide the highest level of care for their residents and their families.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop authentic, transparent, positive relationships with key stakeholders including the Board, employees, government, donors and community & industry partners by opening and expanding the lines of communication;
- Address COVID-19, by eliciting information on processes, systems and the status quo, and move forward to improve them across the organization; shift the thinking towards organizational consistency and support a culture of curiosity and sharing of ideas around continuous improvement initiatives;
- Achieve measurable improvement in culture by being an accessible leader who creates and communicates a harmonious, collaborative, open, and empowered work environment;
- Lead the ongoing organization review through to completion to ensure the structure, the roles and the budget positively affect the organization’s strategic plan; and
- Design a realistic budget-aligned capital plan that addresses potential acquisitions, divestitures, and the aging facilities’ requirements within the portfolio of GSS.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Minimum of a Masters’ degree in Health Administration, Business Administration, Public Policy, Law or another relevant field.
- A minimum of 10 years of proven executive leadership experience with the majority being held in the President & CEO role with full financial and operational oversight experience in a complex multi-stakeholder and geographically dispersed environment;
- Experience developing strong teams and creating a positive internal culture;
- Prior working exposure in healthcare or long-term care will be considered an asset;
- Practiced in developing profitable strategies and implementing a corporate vision;
- Extensive advocacy, diplomacy and/or government relations experience;
- Superior relationship building and communications skills;
- Strong financial acumen and prior experience with fiduciary responsibility;
- Knowledge of the non-profit or government sector and the issues and challenges in providing complex / long term care, coupled with a well-developed understanding of the broader stakeholders/communities with which the President & CEO will be required to interact and build relationships;
- Experience with contract negotiations and project management;
- Success working with a Board of Directors, policy makers, and funders;
- Experienced transformational leader; and
- Proven ability to effect change to support the mission of an organization.
Competencies and Attributes
- Servant-leadership style showing courage in demonstrating their own humility, integrity, honesty, fairness, and empathy;
- Emotionally intelligent leader who exemplifies the Mission, Vision and Values of GSS, and who has a passion for serving the vulnerable in a continuing care environment;
- A visionary leader who motivates and allows people room to explore as they meet their mandate, but who still holds them accountable to the strategy, and the agreed upon key performance indicators;
- Understand and develop a broad range of business functions to drive efficiency, growth, and revenues. Proven ability to manage a multi-million-dollar budget in the non-profit sector. Constant focus on business operations to maximize performance;
- A collaborative leader who ensures a strong team is in place, who delegates work to the person with the right expertise, and who trusts in the skills of those around them to get the job done;
- An exceptional communicator who engages at all levels, who is authentic, fair, and possesses an impeccable level of integrity;
- Meeting uncomfortable situations head-on and moves with a level of confidence to constructively resolve the situation with thoughtful and appropriate communication; and
- A strong relationship builder with a focus on trust and transparency.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ANLL-501088 President & Chief Executive Officer – Good Samaritan Society - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.