Plant Manager – Sun Gro Horticulture
Sun Gro Horticulture is one of the most prominent North American horticultural companies, serving customers worldwide. Established in 1929, the company has become the leading supplier of soilless growing mixes to North America’s top 100 greenhouse and nursery growers, shipping over 70,000 truckloads of product annually. Sun Gro products are made to exacting standards and conform to high product quality and performance criteria.
Employing over 300 employees across North America; many scientists, technicians, managers, facilities workers, and sales professionals are at the heart of the company. Operating a network of 25 production/distribution facilities across Canada and the United States.
Sun Gro Horticulture provides safe operating environments for its peat harvesting operations as well as its production and distribution facilities operations. They are Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) compliant, maintaining safety manuals, and providing staff with regular safety training. Sun Gro Horticulture’s mission is to be an industry leader in soilless growing mixes, serving horticultural professionals, retailers, and gardeners with superior quality, branded growing mixes that yield exceptional results. For further information about Sun Gro Horticulture, please visit their website at www.sungro.com
Reports to: Director of Operations, Eastern Canada
Direct Reports: All Kent Operations and Shipping Employees
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick
The Plant Manager of the Kent facility is responsible for managing activities to achieve proper plant performance, from production to shipping, both during and after the season. He/she supervises all employees from the Kent site and must provide the necessary labour force during production and harvest.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Plan, organize, direct and control all activities related to production from the plant.
- Ensure proper function of operations by following established standards related to Employee Health and Security, productivity, finished product quality and environmental protection.
- Ensure efficient and optimal use of human and material resources in order to meet production goals set by management.
- Ensure operation and equipment maintenance in accordance with the current preventive maintenance program.
- Meet fixed production goals and established quality standards. Identify obstacles preventing the achievement of expected results and make appropriate recommendations.
- Follow authorized budgets on all purchases.
- Work closely with Bog Team Leader to plan the necessary production changes when unforeseen situations arise and can possibly result in loss or waste of peat.
- Plan, direct, control, and ensure follow-up of all activities related to shipping.
- Report information related to the intake and outtake and the number of processed and re-processed bags to appropriate individuals.
- Ensure the control of inventory.
- Ensure that all EH&S rules and regulations are implemented and followed by all employees.
- Create and maintain a highly motivating work environment for personnel.
- Oversee implementation of the collective agreement.
- Follow personnel management policies and procedures at all times.
- Ensure necessary labour force is in place during each shift.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Postsecondary diploma in industrial engineering techniques from an establishment recognized by the province of New Brunswick
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in manufacturing
- Management experience in an unionized setting a plus
- 1 to 2 years of supervisory experience
- Prolonged periods of walking, sitting, standing, and lifting.
- Ability to travel over various terrains.
- Occasional climbing, stooping, and bending.
- Ability to climb ladders and navigate through all walkways/areas of a production facility.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Typical manufacturing environment.
- Must work in a fast-paced environment and keep safety, quality, and production in mind.
- Must be able to work in all types of weather. Climate varies with seasons, at times may be extremely cold or extremely hot.
- Noise level can be loud.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Strong communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, judgment, foresight, and autonomy.
- Ability to anticipate unforeseen circumstances related to production.
- Knowledge of software programs used by the company.
- Bilingual, in both oral and written forms.
- Ability to manage personnel.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ATCV-288782 Plant Manager – Sun Gro Horticulture - NB (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.