Payroll Manager | Finning International Ltd.
Our client, Finning is the world’s largest Caterpillar dealer delivering unrivalled service for over 85 years. They sell, rent and provide parts and service for equipment and engines to customers in various industries, including mining, construction, petroleum, forestry and a wide range of power systems applications.
Since 1933, when Finning was first established in Canada, their name has conveyed integrity, reliability and resourcefulness. Over the years, the company has grown as a result of a genuine commitment to earning customer loyalty.
With broad product support infrastructure and unmatched service capabilities, Finning delivers solutions that enable customers to achieve the lowest equipment owning and operating costs while maximizing uptime.
Finning employs over 13,000 people world-wide and operates in three geographies, with the international head office located in Surrey, Canada. Finning Canada is headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta – providing a world-class network of product support services across British Columbia, Yukon, Alberta, Saskatchewan, the Northwest Territories, and a portion of Nunavut.
Reports to: Regional Controller
Reports: Total payroll team is 8 people
Direct reports: 2 Payroll Supervisors, 1 Payroll Analyst, 1 Payroll Administrator (4 total)
Indirect reports: 4 Payroll Coordinators (4 total)
Location: Calgary or Edmonton, AB
The Payroll Manager is accountable for delivering accurate, timely and precise payroll results to various divisions of Finning Companies capturing approximately 5,000 Canadian-based employees from unionized hourly, salaried and executive compensation. As part of the Finance and Accounting team, this position provides leadership and guidance to the payroll team and monitors the quality of output and service level to all Finning (Canada) employees. This diverse role includes running payroll in multiple Canadian divisions, setting-up processes and procedures (as-needed), creating efficiencies through technology and communicating with a diverse workforce.
- Provide effective management of staff and to foster an effective work environment which successfully contributes the achievement of the business goals and objectives for Finning and the business unit
- Supervise and mentor assigned staff, maximizing productivity, and ensuring that department outcomes are achieved
- Ensure that resources within the team are allocated appropriately to fulfill day to day operations and project work
- Provide coaching and feedback, prepare performance appraisals, learning and development plans, and participate in screening and interviewing process when needed
- Support knowledge transfer, cross training and retention in team
- Lead the processing of full cycle payroll for all aspects of payroll for approximately 5,000 employees, which includes review and balancing of all payroll related allocations
- Monitor and process regular payroll and employee transactions to meet payroll cutoff dates
- Investigate and resolve pay related issues; identify and provide solutions for potential payroll problems and/or concerns
- Lead the reconciliation of recurring payroll and benefit accounts and statements such as general payroll, WCB remittances, and employee benefits
- Ensure payroll related remittances such as tax withholdings, and benefits payments are done accurately and on a timely basis, provide audits and oversight as needed
- Ensure that payroll policies and procedures meet the requirements of relevant Provincial and Federal Regulations, as well as negotiated Collective Agreements
- Collaborate with internal departments to ensure that their operational and informational requirements related to payroll are met
- Lead all year-end payroll activities, including pension adjustment calculations, submission of year-end adjustments, finalization and submission of all regulatory filing requirements
- Lead monthly payroll analysis and variance reporting
- Lead internal and/or external payroll/benefit audits as required
- Establish appropriate controls to ensure compliance with payroll processes and legislative requirements are met
- Maintain and update operational policies, procedures and processes while identifying new ways to improve efficiencies in payroll processing
- Provide oversight on internal controls, ensuring payroll processes are up-to-date and communicating any changes to the team and other departments
- Research discrepancies of payroll information and/or documentation (e.g. timesheets, leave time, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring accuracy and adherence to policies, procedures prior to processing
- Ensure payroll records are effectively managed. Maintain a wide variety of payroll information, files and records in written and electronic formats for the purpose of providing an up-to-date reference and audit trail for compliance
- Continually strive for operational excellence, seeking ways to streamline processes, create operational efficiencies and foster a culture of continuous improvement, enhanced controls and data integrity
- The opportunity to join a global organization that is well positioned for continued growth and expansion
- The opportunity to take on a challenge; improve day-to-day operations, streamline processes and introduce efficiencies that will support payroll functionality
- The opportunity to lead and build a high-performance team and improve employee engagement and retention through effective and empowering leadership
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Gain a solid understanding of the complex nature of the organization, including its size, scope and scale, and how this role and team responds to that complexity
- Build positive and trusted relationships with others in the organization including business units, direct reports, others within the accounting and finance group, labour relations and the human resources team
- Make measurable strides in identifying potential process and continuous improvements within the payroll function
- Provide effective operational and people leadership to the payroll team which includes recruitment and selection, orientation and training, coaching, performance feedback and supporting growth and development opportunities
- Diploma or Degree in Accounting, Business Administration or Finance
- Certification in Payroll Management is an asset
- 5+ years payroll administration experience
- 3+ years in a management/supervisory capacity overseeing a payroll department and team
- Experience using enterprise-wide HRM systems and/or in-house payroll systems
- Experience with Workday and Kronos (UKG) is an asset
- Experience working in a similar sized or large organization is preferred
- Knowledge, Competencies and Attributes:
- Strong knowledge of payroll systems, internal controls, and management
- Strong working knowledge of accounting procedures, payroll processing principles and applicable legislation/regulations
- A strong leader that proactively coaches and mentors team members on best practices and on performance while retaining a team of competent employees who will ensure payroll functions are running smoothly
- Knowledge of audits, income tax forms, health benefits programs, sick pay, retirement plans, etc.
- Forward thinking, analytical, with strong planning and technical accounting abilities
- A collaborative individual who can work successfully with a variety of people and stakeholder groups and build effective relationships across the business
- An energetic, motivated, organized leader, with high integrity and ethics, and a customer-focused positive attitude
- Able to exercise a high degree of patience, with a calm, well-managed approach to business
- Able to be flexible in responding to changing and often competing priorities and deadlines
- High attention to detail and accuracy, highly organized with solid decision making and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a demonstrated ability to present complex issues and concepts in a convincing manner
- Able to foster teamwork with co-workers by encouraging open communication and cooperation
- Able to stay current with trends and best practices in payroll technology, administration and management
- Proven ability to handle confidential and sensitive information in an appropriate manner
Finning International is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and enriches our work and is essential to operational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and Finning throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: Marie_St.Antoine@ajg.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A025086 (AOLA-460758) Payroll Manager | Finning International Ltd. - ABAB - Calgary and AreaAB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.