Nurse Manager – Surgical Centres Inc
Surgical Centres Inc (SCI) is the leading provider of non-hospital surgical and medical care in Canada and operates non-hospital surgical facilities in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan. With a legacy spanning almost 30 years, SCI is Canada’s largest and longest-serving broad-based surgical service provider.
SCI partners with Regional Health Authorities to increase surgical access and capacity. Since 1988, SCI has helped over three hundred thousand people get access to the surgery and diagnostics they need; from spine surgery, orthopedic surgery, and endoscopy…to plastic surgery, corneal transplant, carpal tunnel surgery and more.
For further information about Surgical Centres Inc, please visit their website at https://surgicalcentres.com/
Job Title: Nurse Manager
Reports to:Chief Operating Officer and Medical Director
Ensures optimum patient care and adherence to standards in the O.R., PARR, Endoscopy, Medical Device Reprocessing and Day Surgery areas through supervision of nursing and ancillary personnel and liaison with medical staff, ensuring overall objectives of the Clinic are met.
The Nurse Manager-Clinical is accountable for the designated patient care areas and is responsible for participating in strategic planning.
Clinical Services/Facilities Management
- Direct activities related to specified clinical services to ensure patient needs are met in accordance with professional standards of medical and nursing care and organizational administrative policies and procedures.
- Perform clinical duties within the OR during 50% of normal working hours.
- Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of organizational and departmental objectives, policies/procedures and standards of nursing practice and patient care.
- Participate in the updating and/or implementation of approved corporate directives, and policies, procedures, guidelines or protocols.
- Participate in the development of clinical standards and ensures adherence to established clinical standards.
- Review surgical booking cards to identify requirements for specialized equipment and supplies and communicates requirements to Administrative Manager for procurement
- Narcotic Control
- Purchase and maintain control of all narcotics on site
- Ensure record keeping and documentation of narcotic counts in PAR and O.R.
- Check equipment needs and availability and coordination of special equipment and specialized supply requests.
- Review slated cases for each day’s surgery to check for conflicts in timing equipment, etc. and advise Manager, Administration to facilitate schedule adjustments.
Human Resources & Safety Management
- In collaboration with the Manager, Administration plans for manpower needs including recruitment/retention of all clinical staff, and staff scheduling to meet patient needs.
- Working with the clinical leads, plans and deliver orientation for all clinical staff and ancillary staff in designated areas of responsibility.
- Provide day to day supervision of OR and HCA staff, and clinical leads in designated areas of responsibility, and work with clinical leads to ensure standards of care are met in all areas.
- Prepare written performance appraisals of all designated staff, identifying staff strengths and limitations in performance and provides guidance and suggestions to improve performance on a continuing basis.
- Demonstrate leadership through coaching and participation in staff development of designated staff to create a culture of learning and employee satisfaction.
- Initiate the development, implementation and evaluation of the organizational and departmental objectives, policies/procedures and standards of nursing practice and patient care.
- Direct, monitor, evaluate and review standards of practice for the Clinic to maintain quality patient care.
- Working in collaboration with the Manager, Administration, ensure facility and clinical readiness for all accreditation reviews.
Total Quality Management
- Ensure adherence to nursing standards.
- Review policies and procedures on a regular basis with Medical Director and Manager, Administration, and advise on changes as necessary.
- Identify the need for and assist with formulation of new clinical policies.
- Ensure completion of the Surgical Safety checklist for all surgical patients.
- Maintain professional growth and development in relation to Clinic needs and specialty focus.
- Make a difference – Working closely with all facets of the organization, you will shape the service delivery platform, and have the ability to make the necessary changes that are required
- Limited bureaucracy – working closely with the Doctors, staff and patients, you will be able to influence change and work autonomously
- Flexibility and entrepreneurial spirit will be rewarded
- No shift work and weekends – this is a regular Monday to Friday environment that does not have any unplanned shift work
- “Family focused culture” and “high touch” environment
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop a platform that will leverage future growth in order to open additional OR rooms
- Establish policies and procedures that ensure operational excellence in the OR, in day to day management, and in patient care
- This flagship facility focuses on patient care and outcomes – put in place a model that can be replicated in other SCI facilities
- Build relationships and get buy in from the staff so that they will have confidence in you as a leader who will help grow the organization
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Graduation from an accredited Nursing Program
- Current and active registration in the RNABC, or eligible for registration
- Advanced preparation in OR and PAR nursing
- Perioperative and/or critical care/post-anesthesia recovery room nursing certification program an asset
- Basic Cardiac Life Support – Health Care Provider (BCLS-HCP); ACLS, PALS/ENCP an asset
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in OR/PAR nursing
- Previous supervisory experience is a requirement
Competencies and Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and leadership skills. Self-directed and highly motivated. Analytical, organizational, planning, teaching, decision making and financial management skills. Ability to function effectively in dynamic situations. Demonstrated conflict resolution and change management skills
- Demonstrated ability to keep up to date on trends and developments in the Ambulatory Surgery field.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ALUX-047747 Nurse Manager – Surgical Centres Inc - BC (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.