National Director, Group Benefits – First Canadian Insurance Corporation
First Canadian Insurance Corporation
The Wheaton Group is an Edmonton-based, family owned company consisting of interests in automotive retail, real estate, insurance, banking, investment management and aviation. First Canadian Insurance Corporation (“FCIC”), a division of First Canadian Financial Group, is solely owned by the Wheaton Group. While FCIC is domiciled in Alberta and regulated by the Alberta Insurance Council, it operates across all jurisdictions in Canada. In partnership with over 2000 dealerships in Canada, FCIC has grown to become the largest provider of creditor life and disability insurance products in the automotive industry in Canada. In the last four years, FCIC has expanded their service offering to include individual term life insurance and group benefits insurance.
First Canadian Insurance Corporation is an integral part of how First Canadian Financial Group fulfills its purpose to provide protect to Canadian families for when “what if” becomes “what now.” Echoing its owners, FCIC embodies a strong set values, innovative thinking and entrepreneurial spirit which has laid the foundation to prosper for years to come.
For more information on First Canadian Insurance Corporation, please visit: https://home.firstcanadian.ca/.
|Job Title:||National Director, Group Benefits|
|Location:||Edmonton, AB and/or Sherwood Park, AB|
First Canadian Insurance Corporation is seeking a National Director, Group Benefits to lead the delivery and growth of its group benefits insurance offering. Since introducing group benefits into FCIC four years ago, the delivery of service and client relationships has been managed externally through a third-party consultant. After continued success, FCIC is poised to transition this function in-house to support its continued growth.
The National Director of Group Benefits will be a key member of the FCIC team providing leadership to both the operations and sales teams. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining client relationships, managing, and growing the portfolio, and overseeing administration and operations.
The National Director of Group Benefits will be a hands-on leader, a self-starter and will demonstrate entrepreneurial spirit as they grow their team and lead group benefits for FCIC.
The National Director of Group Benefits will be responsible for providing:
- In collaboration with the management team, develop the strategic plan for the group benefits division; and
- Serve as a key member of the management team, providing support and leadership in the overall strategic direction of the group benefits division.
Group Benefits Operational Excellence:
- Lead the execution of the strategic plan;
- Develop annual business plans and budgets;
- Ensure the achievement of strategic and financial objectives by managing and providing guidance in the development and onboarding of new clients;
- Implement and monitor customized customer retention and growth strategies; and
- Establish and monitor key performance indicators for these areas and reporting regularly on progress for the department.
- Build and lead a high performing group benefits team (sales and operations teams) to deliver outstanding results;
- Provide the overall direction, support, coaching, mentorship and development needed to ensure that staff have clear and achievable objectives, as well as the resources and support needed to deliver superior results;
- Demonstrate excellence in maintaining existing and building new customer relationships; and
- Develop exceptional relationships with First Canadian Financial Group, Wheaton Group and their key stakeholders.
- FCIC, as a reflection of Wheaton Group, is innovative, entrepreneurial, operates with a strong set of values, and part of one of Canada’s most outstanding family businesses;
- Exceptional collegial and supportive work environment culture; and
- M. Best Rating Excellence.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build trust, confidence and a sense of community with FCIC group benefits’ key stakeholders;
- Lead the seamless transition to delivering group benefits advice in-house from the current external vendor, ensuring minimal impact to existing customers;
- Build high performing sales and operations teams and enable business growth through the development of a healthy, happy and agile workforce;
- Develop and implement a robust business development strategy with an emphasis on expanding into new client industries;
- Improve process efficiencies to increase stakeholder satisfaction and lower operating costs;
- Maintain strong, managed, year-over-year growth; and
- Retain and strengthen existing customer relationships by developing solutions that differentiate FCIC from the competition.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Relevant post-secondary education considered an asset;
- Life Insurance and Accident and Sickness Insurance License for Alberta; and
- Licensing in other provinces considered an asset (or desire to obtain extra-provincial licensing).
- Minimum 5+ years’ specialist group benefit and plan design experience;
- Strong technical and analytical skills;
- Track record of successfully maintaining excellent customer relationships;
- Demonstrated ability to grow business;
- Experience managing a sales and operations team; and
- Bilingual would be considered an asset.
- Set ambitious goals and work together to achieve them.
- Mistakes happen. Fix them and learn from them.
- Continuously improve.
- Hire bright, hard-working people who share our values and offer them meaningful work and a positive culture.
- Celebrate success.
- Be thoughtful in the face of change.
- Stay calm in stressful situations to draw out the clearest thinking.
- Weigh options carefully, then act quickly and with purpose.
- Set priorities and clearly communicate them again and again.
- Be critical in your thinking.
- Embrace diversity of opinion.
- Build consensus through reasoned debate.
- Innovation & Creativity:
- Find better ways.
- Innovation is an iterative process. Keep going.
- Be bold!
- Listen first.
- Put yourself in the other person’s shoes.
- Be fair.
- Use knowledge and resources to contribute positive to the world.
- Leave the world a better than you found it.
- Provide exceptional customer service.
Competencies and Attributes
- Collaborative Relationship Building: Fosters an environment of collaboration. Builds strong relationships and facilitates trust with all levels of management, employees and outside organizations through honesty, integrity and authenticity. Develops and delivers communications that provide clear understanding of the unique requirements of varying audiences.
- Communication: Communicates effectively with all stakeholders. Open to receiving constructive feedback and willingness to engage in robust healthy discussion to foster the spirit of continuous improvement.
- Critical Thinking: Makes strong decisions using analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Customer Focus: Continuously pays attention to customer needs adapting as they evolve. Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer centric solutions to clients.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: Activity seeks out change, rather than waiting to adapt to change. Asks critical questions, innovates and seeks continuous improvement.
- Growth Oriented: Demonstrates an orientation towards growth with an ability to drive strategies around sales and marketing. Pursues opportunities for inorganic and organic growth as they arise and in line with FCIC’s vision.
- Integrity: Operates with a strong moral and ethical compass. Demonstrates hands-on leadership, humility and willingness to roll up sleeves as required.
- Initiative: Self-starter attitude, takes action on own initiative and drives to results. Openness and willingness to act on new ideas.
- Management of Ambiguity: Effectively copes with change and can shift gears comfortably. Decides and acts without having the total picture while comfortably handling risk and uncertainty.
- Strategic Planning: Develops short and long-range plans that are comprehensive, creative, realistic and effective in meeting goals and objectives, and integrates planning efforts across functions.
- Solutions Oriented: Drives to results. Motivated to accomplish tasks to achieve project milestones. Faces challenges as opportunities and inspires same in others
- Visionary: Ability to set and articulate a vision. Readily gains buy in to vision from team, peers, shareholders and stakeholders.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AFCT-405467 National Director, Group Benefits – First Canadian Insurance Corporation - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.