McLennan Ross LLP – Director of Operations
Founded over 100 years ago, McLennan Ross LLP (“McLennan Ross”) is an established law firm committed to serving the legal needs of clients in Alberta and the North with offices located in Edmonton, Calgary and Yellowknife.
McLennan Ross is recognized by Canadian Lawyer as one of the top ten regional law firms in western Canada. McLennan Ross lawyers are consistently recognized and ranked in legal directories and publications, including Best Lawyers in Canada and Martindale-Hubbell, as top practitioners in their fields of law.
McLennan Ross’ reputation is determined by the results they secure on behalf of their clients, and that continues to be the measure of the firm and their people. McLennnan Ross lawyers have a reputation for aggressively and thoroughly pursuing their clients’ interests at every level of Canada’s judicial system.
What separates McLennan Ross from other law firms is the ability to see “beyond the law” – recognizing and appreciating how legal difficulties can significantly impact a client’s life and their business. Strategic thinking, grounded in a solid understanding of the realities of the business world and basic common sense, is a hallmark of the firm.
For further information on McLennan Ross LLP, please visit their website at www.mross.com.
Job Title: Director of Operations
Reports to: Executive Committee
Direct Reports: 8 (Human Resources Manager, Accounting Manager, IT Manager, Manager, Library & Knowledge Management, Marketing & BD Manager (2), Calgary Office Manager, and Yellowknife Office Manager)
Indirect Reports: 200
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
The Director of Operations is responsible for leading and managing the operations of the firm, and is expected to oversee and provide strategic direction for all operations, financial, accounting, marketing, human resources and information technology activities. The Director of Operations will work collaboratively with the firm’s Executive Committee, the Partnership, and members of the management team to ensure the ongoing success of the firm.
Under the general direction of the firm’s Executive Committee, the Director of Operations guides the development and implementation of financial, human resource, business development and marketing, and information technology strategies. The Director of Operations assesses organizational needs and develops, implements and regularly assesses plans, strategies and tactics to achieve desired outcomes.
The Director of Operations organizes the agenda for, participates in regular Executive Committee and Partnership meetings and manages all deliverables arising from those meetings. The Director of Operations has the skills, competencies and experience required to make meaningful observations and recommendations, develop sound strategies and catalyse and implement the firm’s strategic plan.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Lead and develop a corporate and collaborative approach to strategy alongside the Executive Committee
- Establish and implement short and long range operational goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures that will increase operational effectiveness
- Collaborate with the firm’s management team and each of the firm’s Practice Groups to implement both firm and Practice Group specific goals
- Research and remain current on trends in legal and corporate management to assist in and develop reporting and other mechanisms to ensure that Executive Committee, Practice Group Leaders and the Partnership are provided with key metrics and other relevant information
- Examine and evaluate growth initiatives including merger and acquisition opportunities
- Support the development and management of annual budgets for the organization and perform regular cost and productivity analyses
- Continually evaluate fiscal soundness, stability and profitability with the preparations and review of reports and other analyses as required
- Execute a performance and reporting framework to assess and report the financial and non-financial performance of the firm for all offices
- Provide leadership and direction in all areas of finance, accounting, business development and marketing, human resources and information technology/management, working collaboratively with the Firm’s existing specialized managers in each of these areas
- Design, establish, and maintain an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization’s goals and objectives
- Work with cross-functional team members to provide leadership, direction, and coaching to achieve work objectives and improve performance and skills
- Recruit, hire, develop and evaluate the firm’s management team
- Share best practices to improve internal processes or procedures
- Develop platforms/tools/routines that create and maintain a culture of high performance
- Oversee Associate Review process and professional development including developing systems for effective communication of partnership expectations and issues arising from the evaluation process
- Oversee the human resources function for all offices including planning, performance, orientation, salary administration and development
- Oversee and evaluate all IT infrastructure, maintenance of facilities, furnishings and equipment for all offices
- Administer and monitor the firm’s professional liability and other insurance policies
- Develop and maintain relationships with the legal administrators in Edmonton and Calgary, with key consultants in the legal field, and with vendors
- Coordinate lawyer/management functions including retreats and meetings.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop a trust-based relationship with the Executive Committee, the firm’s Partners and Associates and all other employees
- Lead change initiatives required to achieve efficiencies and otherwise accomplish the goals flowing from the firm’s Strategic Plan
- Manage succession related activities for the firm including cross-training for critical roles
- Act as a dependable and trustworthy resource for the Executive Committee and the Partnership.
Given the pivotal role this individual will be expected to play in achieving the strategic objectives of McLennan Ross and in supporting the success of the firm, it is essential that the successful candidate possess the following core competencies, experience and attributes:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related discipline
- Master’s in Business Administration will be considered an asset
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a leadership or management role in a professional services firm, or equivalent business
Competencies and Attributes:
- Uncompromising sense of integrity, discretion and high ethical standards
- Ability to use foresight and strategic planning to provide vision for the firm
- Develop and leverage relationships through high emotional and social intelligence
- Exceptional communication skills; an accessible facilitator who listens and encourages collaboration
- Excels in coaching and mentoring the development of team members
- Results oriented with an adaptable, but disciplined, approach to balancing business considerations
- Strong financial/accounting acumen
- Bring an innovative and persuasive approach to implementing change appropriate in a professional services environment
- Ability to manage conflict resolution through collaboration and problem-solving
- Regular travel to the Calgary office is essential in this role, with an expectation for limited travel to Yellowknife
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Under Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation, Optimum Talent requires your consent to provide you with information via email that is relevant to you. This may include electronic communications regarding job opportunities that you are pursuing. Please click the following link in order to access and complete our online subscription form on the homepage of our website: http://www.optimumtalent.com/
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ANMR-278628 McLennan Ross LLP – Director of Operations - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.