Manager, Transportation Operations – PRIMED Medical Products Inc.
PRIMED Medical Products Inc. (“PRIMED”) is one of the leading designers and fastest growing international manufacturers and suppliers of high-quality single use medical personal products. Their combination of clinical, product and market knowledge coupled with their strong marketing and sales support has positioned them to be the medical product manufacturing partner of choice.
Headquartered in Edmonton, PRIMED employs over 1000 colleagues internationally and operates three wholly owned manufacturing facilities in Asia (China and Laos) with a new Canadian manufacturing centre of excellence facility opening in Cambridge, Ontario.
PRIMED is proud to be supporting global healthcare workers during such a critical time as the COVID-19 pandemic and are committed to upholding their mission and values in every interaction.
- Mission: To protect people from harmful substances and infectious diseases.
- Core Values:
PRIMED is comprised of passionate, accomplished, creative people who motivate and trust one another. The culture is collaborative, fun and promotes continuous improvement.
For more information on PRIMED, please visit: https://www.primed.ca/
|Job Title:||Manager, Transportation Operations|
|Reports to:||Vice President Operational Excellence|
|Direct Reports:||2: Supply Chain Coordinators|
As PRIMED responds to the global COVID-19 pandemic, they have experienced tremendous growth in a dynamic, competitive and rapidly evolving international environment. To support their ongoing needs and ability to deliver on their mission, they are adding a Manager, Transportation Operations to their team.
Reporting to the Vice President Operational Excellence, the Manager will act as their right hand to lend support to supply chain operations and logistics to ensure PRIMED continues to be a leader in delivering world class customer service.
Transportation operations has been the life blood of the organization throughout the pandemic; the Manager Transportation will provide strategic leadership, insight and hands-on support to PRIMED’s ongoing success. As the new Cambridge Manufacturing Operation opens, the successful candidate will be integral in ensuring transportation strategies are in place to stabilize core operations while delivering an exceptional customer experience.
Responsible for the leadership of all day-to-day transportation activities, including building and maintaining excellent internal and external stakeholder relationships, the Manager Transportation Operations will be proactive in identifying opportunities for continuous improvement and efficiency. In addition, the Manager will provide leadership to a team of two, in alignment with PRIMED’s core values, fostering a respectful environment of growth and continuous development.
The successful candidate will play a critical role in exceeding customer service levels and delivering on PRIMED’s mission through building exceptional relationships across the organization, with key external partners and PRIMED’s valued customers. The ideal candidate will possess outstanding communication skills, demonstrate a commitment to collaboration, honesty, authenticity and professionalism in all their activities. They will approach their work proactively and systemically while being driven in their pursuit of excellence and achieving PRIMED’s goals.
- In close collaboration with the Vice President, Operational Excellence, develop and implement transportation strategies that ensure flexible, scalable and sustainable transportation operations;
- Develop, execute and manage the transportation strategy for PRIMED’s Cambridge facility and evolving Canadian network; and
- Provide analysis of all 3rd Party Logistics arrangement and transportation costs and deliver subsequent recommendations to improve efficiency and effectiveness of transportation operations across the organization.
- Manage PRIMED’s international and domestic freight strategies including network planning, costing and optimization;
- Manage cargo movement across all shipping lines, rail lines, airlines, trans loaders and trucking companies;
- Manage tariff and duty strategies;
- Negotiate all freight rates and service levels with carriers;
- Support the preparation of shipping documents for customers and distributors as required (FOB, DDP, DAP, CIF etc.);
- Proactively manage, track and log incidents of customer complaints within service incident database ensuring prompt and thorough follow up with all departments to identify solutions;
- Analyze incidents to find a root cause and implement proactive and correction action;
- Manage, track and analyze freight claims for all international and Canadian activities; and
- Develop, manage and maintain all analytics, KPIs and reporting required to inform key business decisions and ensure the ongoing effective transportation operations.
- Develop exceptional, collaborative internal stakeholder relationships;
- Lead the Supply Chain Coordinator team in day to day activities while reviewing and innovating current operational processes and systems;
- In partnership with PRIMED’s accounting team, provide leadership to resolve any discrepancies and issues relating to the transportation activities of the organization;
- Provide support to PRIMED colleagues in the interpretation and execution of freight documentation, policies and procedures (customer, freight, brokerage etc.);
- Support the Manager, Inventory & Distribution as it relates to inventory control, new business incorporation, old product rotation, inventory counts etc.;
- Build strategic partnerships with freight forwarders, transportation providers, 3rd party logistic, customer distributors and warehouse staff to obtain, explain and exchange information, problem solve, negotiate and resolve conflict;
- Develop and maintain a reliable network of carriers across all modes of transport to ensure PRIMED’s ongoing competitive and reliable transportation service offering; and
- Offer exceptional service to customers navigating unprecedented challenges.
- PRIMED is an ISO 13485:2016 registered company;
- Canada’s Best Managed Companies (2018, 2019, 2020); and
- Alberta’s Top 75 Employers.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Demonstrate enthusiasm in quickly learning the organization and its’ needs while building effective, collaborative relationships with all internal/external stakeholders exuding trust and confidence in all interactions;
- Demonstrate leadership in transportation operations in a highly constrained and highly competitive market;
- In close collaboration with the Vice President Operational Excellence, ensure the execution of PRIMED’s key strategic objectives as it relates to transportation operations including:
- Evaluating, optimizing and defining an international freight strategy inclusive of identifying optimum partners, negotiating a freight forwarding program and addressing export challenges;
- Supporting the opening of Cambridge operations by:
- firmly establishing PRIMED’s domestic footprint;
- entering the market with best-in-class transportation strategy with established metrics and KPIs;
- delivering a highly reliable network plan reflecting efficient, reliable and cost-effective solutions for transportation and delivery;
- establishing partnerships rooted in a shared commitment to customer service principles;
- Managing PRIMED’s network of 3rd party logistic providers by implementing reporting, relevant metrics and KPIs to improve service reliability and costs while proactively mitigating and managing emerging issues;
- Support the continuous improvement of PRIMED’s emerging direct to consumer operations;
- Create centers of excellence around PRIMED’s product lines; and
- Embody a continuous improvement mindset and approach to PRIMED’s activities enabling automation where appropriate.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Related university or college degree;
- CCLP (CITT-Certified Logistics Professional Designation) or equivalent considered an asset; and
- Canadian Customer or Supply Chain Management training considered an asset.
- Minimum 5 years’ transportation management experience within a complex domestic and international freight network;
- Demonstrated management success in a multi-faceted supply chain environment;
- Track record of success creating, modifying and analyzing key shipping documents including freight tender RFPs and network analytics;
- Comprehensive, current and nuanced understanding of international freight corridors and current political context; and
- Working knowledge of ERP and transportation software such as Sage 300, SAP, Microsoft AX considered an asset.
Competencies and Attributes
- Analytical: Brings a continuous improvement mindset to the evaluation and analysis of transportation operations. Analyzes and reviews freight costs as a percentage of sales. Reviews on time delivery.
- Collaborative: Fosters an environment with colleagues and staff to create a results driven, team oriented environment with a proven track record of achievement. Ability to identify and initiate working relationships and to develop and maintain them in a way that is of mutual benefit to both parties. Good relationships are the key to getting things done and are essential when your success is dependent on others.
- Communication: Communicates effectively with all levels of the organization. Write reports, policies and procedures taking time to ensure documentation is understood across the organization. Demonstrates empathy and authenticity in all interactions.
- Customer Focus: Continuously pays attention to customer needs and adapts as these evolve. Demonstrates a partnership approach to service delivery through open, honest and ongoing dialogue. Shares expertise as a subject matter expert informing customers of external environment impacting daily operations. Demonstrates a customer centric focus in planning activities.
- Driven: Demonstrates enthusiasm in pursuit of results. Eager to exceed targets and goals. Self-starter who takes initiative and a proactive approach to role, demonstrating commitment to the organization.
- Leadership: Demonstrates confidence in decision making. Eagerly takes on role of both player and coach in achieving departmental goals and objectives. Possess natural ability to influence positive outcomes across the organization. Demonstrated experience leading teams through change.
- Manages Complexity: Effectively multi-tasks, prioritizes, remains a composed under pressure. Ability to meet tight deadlines in a rapidly changing environment of competing priorities.
- Strategic Leadership: Fosters the development of a common vision providing clear direction and priorities and clarifying roles and responsibilities. Leads a dynamic, fast paced team that prospers within the unique PRIMED culture.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AYUB-863701 Manager, Transportation Operations – PRIMED Medical Products Inc. - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.