Manager, Project Management Office | Gateway Mechanical Services
Gateway Mechanical Services (“Gateway”) was founded in 1968 and is privately owned. They have established themselves as a leader in the commercial and industrial refrigeration, heating, and air conditioner industry (HVACR). Attending to 40,000+ service calls per year, Gateway is the largest HVAC & Refrigeration service provider in Western Canada. Their model is comprised of local branch teams with fully qualified personnel representing HVAC, refrigeration, plumbing/gas fitting, sheet metal and electrical trades. These teams are supported by centers of excellence including professional engineers and project managers that ensure Gateway’s full technical capability is available for every project and service call.
Gateway Mechanical Services has a passion for the work they do, and their employees exemplify this every day. This passion coupled with an uncompromising commitment to excellence drives everything they do. They have a saying, “With Gateway, it’s personal™”. That means they go the extra mile when others will not. They find solutions when others cannot. They do whatever it takes to get the job done right the first time because that is how it should be done.
Vision: We build an environment that unlocks potential, inspires performance, and delivers peace of mind.
Mission: Working as One Team with customers and each other, Gateway Mechanical Services leverages our expertise and work ethic to provide responsive mechanical contracting solutions to commercial, institutional, and industrial customers across western Canada.
Our experienced group of team members ensure that:
- Our mechanical systems run efficiently, leaving our customers with peace of mind and time to focus on being productive
- Our employees are highly trained in their area of expertise and provide quality service to our customers
- Our industry remains progressive utilizing advances in technology in our day-to-day operations
- Our company embraces innovation, remains financially strong, and honours our commitments to customers and community
Values: After 54 years in business, who we are at our core has not changed. The values that guide our actions and decisions are the same today as they were the day we started. Gateway Mechanical has seen consistent growth over the years by supporting the community, building a strong reputation and focusing on customer satisfaction. The drive and commitment behind our success has always been in the quality of our people.
For more information, please visit: https://gatewaymechanical.ca/
|Reports to:||Director, Customer Solutions|
|Direct Reports:||3 – Project Support Manager, Project Coordinator, Project Administrator|
|Physical Work Conditions:|| |
Office setting position; work from home Monday and Friday if preferred, 25% travel to establish and maintain relationships with internal stakeholders and clients
One of the key leadership roles within the Customer Solutions team, the responsibilities of the Manager, Project Management Office (PMO) include managing the day-to-day activities in the PMO and oversight of the development and on-time and on-budget completion of all company-wide business projects in accordance with corporate standards. The Manager of the PMO is the senior-most accountable resource for the organization and scheduling of projects, development, and implementation of PMO policies and processes, the productivity of project management office staff including the project managers, and collaborating with other department leaders to develop projects and programs that meet the project management needs of the business units.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Work with Area General Managers, Branch Managers, and Sales & Marketing resources to support growth plans, which secure additional clients through value-added project management solutions with a customer focus;
- Identify and build a team of highly skilled project management resources that create a competitive advantage for Gateway when bidding on and executing project-based work;
- Collaborate with all aspects of Customer Solutions, develop and execute on strategic initiatives that improve Gateway’s ability to serve their customers and meet expectations, while driving continual margin improvement and competitive advantage;
- Execute departmental business initiatives in alignment with Gateway’s growth objectives, strategic plan, culture, Mission, Vision, and Values;
- Create and execute annual departmental business plans (including metrics), in conjunction with the Director of Customer Solutions, that support the objectives of the company; and
- Stay abreast of current developments and trends in all relevant technical/professional knowledge areas with the objective of ascertaining new productivity or efficiency benefits.
- Collaborate with other department leaders to define, prioritize, resource, and develop projects;
- Planning project management, including setting deadlines, prioritizing tasks, and assigning team members to various deliverables;
- Ensure that team members are carrying out their tasks efficiently while upholding the company’s standards;
- Draft new and improve existing project management office policies and processes with a focus on continuous improvement;
- Continuous evaluation of projects to ensure they are meeting company standards, adhering to budgets, and meeting deadlines;
- Ensure accurate documentation of the project’s creation, development, and execution as well as documenting the project’s scope, budget, and justification;
- Conduct lessons-learned exercises at project completion to gather data in support of PMO process and systems modifications to improve project accuracy and efficiency;
- Develop and maintain reporting tools that provide project management relevant dashboards, Key Performance Indicators, and other reports to the business units and customers on a timely basis;
- Implement root cause analysis and action plans when KPI targets are not met; and
- Propose corrective actions or adjustments to project execution strategies to keep the project aligned with project performance targets and forecasts.
- Analyze financial data, including project budgets, and monitoring the financial impact of risks, and resource allocations;
- Meet or exceed departmental budget expectations and provide financial reports and budget information to the Director of Customer Solutions;
- Ensure that all active projects are meeting financial performance expectations;
- Assess and mitigate project financial risk on an ongoing basis to ensure corrective actions can be taken in advance of unrecoverable financial loss;
- Support the areas in the execution of project work that is competitive and ensures target margin thresholds; and
- Maximize profitability through cost and resource efficiencies.
Health, Wellness, Safety & Environment:
- Champion Gateway’s Safety Culture to meet or exceed TRIF objectives;
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment by ensuring HSE compliance and the systematic application of best practices to all aspects of the project management process;
- Raise safety awareness and ensure safety principles are applied to the projects; and
- Lead by example to promote a safe work environment and ensure that sound environmental practices are followed.
- Create objectives and manage the performance management program for your area, and create performance improvement plans when required;
- Support the skills development of employees, ensuring adequate support, continuous improvement, training and development of additional competencies by acting as a mentor and providing training when necessary;
- Ensure staffing levels are sufficient for successful operations;
- Conduct proper onboarding, orientation, and training for team members to explain policies, work procedures, and to demonstrate use and maintenance of any required equipment, ensuring that documents and files are complete and kept current;
- Review and approve time off requests for direct reports;
- Maintain a positive tone within the team and work cooperatively through personal behavior, work contribution, and the sharing of expertise and knowledge; and
- Act as an ambassador for Gateway Mechanical Services in all dealings with the public, management and team members.
Other required duties may be assigned that fall within the parameters of the primary responsibility of the position.
- Over 54 years of service and a leader in the commercial and industrial air conditioning, heating and refrigeration industry;
- Join a highly skilled, passionate team that has an uncompromising commitment to excellence that drives everything they do; and
- Gateway Mechanical Services has an entrepreneurial spirit and tenacity based on their foundation for success, which continues to guide them daily.
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Clear reporting and management tools are developed that provide relevant project management dashboards, Key Performance Indicators, and other reports to the business units, the executives, and customers on a timely basis;
- Ensure project management hours and costs are within the budgeted amounts in the control budget for each project;
- Manage project managers and project administrators/coordinators to ensure they are available full time and part time as required to match the fluctuations in project activity;
- Establish a root cause analysis and corrective actions plans are implemented when KPI targets are not met; and
- Ensure corrective actions or adjustments to project execution strategies are established to keep the project aligned with project performance targets and forecasts are implemented.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, Administration, or a related field;
- A Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification.
- A minimum of five years’ working in project management;
- Two years’ experience managing direct reports;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong attention to details and technicalities;
- Excellent organizational and technical skills;
- Good interpersonal and multi-tasking skills;
- Strong presentation, written, and verbal skills;
- Understanding of financial reports including budgetary guidelines and expenditures;
- Working experience in the HVAC/Refrigeration industry preferred;
- Working experience in the Construction Industry is preferred;
- Technical knowledge and understanding in Mechanical trades is preferred.
Competencies and Attributes:
Business and Financial Acumen: Understands key business fundamentals, understands the drivers of financial health and accountability of the company and takes responsibility to maintain its ongoing fiscal soundness. Communication: Communicates effectively with stakeholders on goals, plans and issues and seeks feedback and advice before acting.
Critical Thinking: Makes strong decisions using analytical and problem-solving skills.
Customer Focus: Being successful means continuously paying attention to customer needs and adapting as these evolve. This heightens the importance of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer centric solutions.
Drives Results: Infusing the team and organizations with a sense of urgency. Creating a culture where organizational performance is always top of mind. Communicating a vision, setting priorities, developing and executing plans that achieve the desired outcome for Gateway Mechanical Services.
Project Management: Delivers excellence and creates a culture of accountability with respect to project delivery. Proactively analyzes project status, communicates project milestones and mitigates organizational risk. Brings leadership and clear lines of accountability to the project by providing vision, motivation, coaching and removing roadblocks while inspiring the team to do their best work.
Relationship Builder: Ability to identify and initiate working relationships and to develop and maintain them in a way that is of mutual benefit to both parties. Good relationships are the key to getting things done and are essential when your success is dependent on others.
Strategic Leadership: Fosters the development of a common vision providing clear direction and priorities and clarifying roles and responsibilities. Sets the tone for the organizations culture and ensures succession in management and leadership.
Strategic Planning: Develops short and long-range plans that are comprehensive, creative, realistic and effective in meeting goals and objectives, and integrates planning efforts across functions.
Gateway Mechanical Services is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and enriches our work and is essential to operational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Optimum Talent and Gateway Mechanical Services throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AAEI-575704 Manager, Project Management Office | Gateway Mechanical Services - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.