Manager, Procurement | AltaSteel Inc.
Founded in 1955 as Premier Steel, now AltaSteel Inc. (“AltaSteel”) is an Edmonton based company and Canadian manufacturer of prime quality steel products from recycled scrap steel generated within the Alberta community. They supply western Canadian businesses and export to the USA and Mexico. On March 16, 2020 AltaSteel was acquired by Kyoei Steel Ltd., bringing an exciting new chapter for AltaSteel. Kyoei Steel is headquartered in Japan with operations in Japan, Vietnam and the USA.
Kyoei Steel is a pioneer in the material recycling business, specialized in the melting treatment of medical waste and industrial waste using the arc heat of electric furnaces. Aligning AltaSteel with Kyoei Steel’s long history of best practice operation of mini mills allows AltaSteel to continue to be a leading supplier to their valued customers.
AltaSteel offers a personal approach to business, and seeks to establish long-term customer value propositions and the respect for their employees as the basis for a sustainable business. Drawing from resources from the communities of Edmonton and Strathcona, and in turn seek to provide businesses opportunities, careers and a positive impact on the environment as a recycler.
Core Value: We seek to foster the belief amongst all employees and contractors that an injury-free work place can be achieved. Further, with the commitment of all, that an injury-free workplace will be achieved. We seek all employees to rank this belief above all, thereby making it our core value.
Goal: Our goal at AltaSteel is ZERO: No incidents and no injuries.
Safety Principles: At AltaSteel we apply 6 principles in the management of safety
- All injuries can be prevented.
- Working safely is a condition of employment.
- Employee involvement is essential.
- Management is accountable for safety.
- All operation exposures can be safe guarded.
- Training employees to work safely is essential.
For more information, please visit: https://www.altasteel.com/
|Reports to:||Vice President, Sales & Procurement|
|Direct Reports:||Procurement Buyers|
|Location:||Edmonton, AB (On-site)|
Reporting to the Vice President, Sales & Procurement the Manager, Procurement will lead the Procurement Team and be responsible for the overall procurement program delivery while supporting leadership through employee development and client support.
The Manager, Procurement working collaboratively with all internal and external stakeholders will establish and maintain an efficient, cost-effective, and consistent approach to procurement best practices and legislation.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Ensures protocols, processes, and guidelines are being followed and updated;
- Researches, benchmarks, and analyzes efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery and proposes continuous improvement ideas for consideration;
- Conducts assessment of risks inherent in the business processes of Procurement Services;
- Keeps current with developments, trends, and legislative changes affecting Procurement Services including the introduction of new approaches and technologies;
- Creates a funnel of innovation opportunities, challenges current processes and is accountable for then developing and implementing new processes;
- Supports leadership in the implementation of proactive and strategic change while building connections with peers and superiors;
- Ensures procurement processes are effective, efficient, and substantiated with evidence of due process and financial controls to facilitate the orderly processing of invoices from vendors and service providers; and
- Provides procurement information to support management decisions, financial reporting, and audits.
- Provides functional leadership to ensure that AltaSteel and staff achieve compliance with established regulations;
- Responsible for leading effective management and direction within the department;
- Fosters teamwork and creates a cohesive organization with the common objective of increasing company growth and profitability;
- Selects, coaches, mentors and develops the team through training and development initiatives that reflect full knowledge of the organization;
- Measures the effectiveness of the team through the creation and implementation of performance management activities and the development of key performance indicators;
- Sets key accountabilities and establishes core competencies to deliver on key accountabilities;
- Provides effective leadership to ensure that staff have the necessary skills to achieve work objectives and meet the needs of internal and external customers; and
- Promotes a safe, accountable, and innovative department.
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build trusting, open, collaborative, and respectful relationships throughout the organization with employees and leaders;
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the stakeholder environment, current strategy, and the Procurement needs now and into the future; and
- Assesses, identifies, and implements new opportunities and people strategies for the Procurement department to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the team.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A university degree in Business Administration, Commerce or related field; a specialization in supply chain management is preferred; and
- Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) or Certified Purchasing Professional (CPP) is considered an asset.
- A minimum 5 years’ progressive experience in procurement or supply chain management, with at least 2 years in a leadership role;
- Experience with former systems implementation is preferred; and
- Experience in a 24/7 manufacturing environment will be considered an asset.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Superior relationship building and leadership skills;
- Strong knowledge of the end to end process integration of procurement;
- Commitment to fostering collaborative working relationships; ability to create positive relationships to establish rapport and influence with various interest groups and stakeholders;
- Exceptional verbal/written communication skills;
- Clear philosophy of leadership and management with strong work ethic;
- Strong conceptual thinking, critical thinking, analytical and research skills;
- Ability to think systemically and globally;
- Well-developed skills in organization and time management; and
- Ability to respect and value all individuals combined with a sensitivity to diversity.
AltaSteel Inc. is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and is essential to service excellence. AltaSteel Inc. welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with the provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and AltaSteel Inc. throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: HRCCCanada.GBS.EdmontonES@ajg.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ACCQ-304680 Manager, Procurement | AltaSteel Inc. - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.