Manager, People & Culture | Edmonton Airports
Edmonton Airports, “a community-based, financially independent and non-profit corporation,” operates the Edmonton Airports (YEG) and Villeneuve Airport (VA). YEG serves over 8.2 million passengers every year and flies to 50 destinations around the world, making it the fifth busiest airport in Canada. In 2017, Edmonton Airports generated $3.2 billion in profits, making it an economic asset to the Edmonton community. Despite its bustling atmosphere, YEG has a mission of re-investing all income and surpluses into airport operations. Additionally, YEG has the strategic goal of growing their passenger and market demand, meaning that they have a desire to invest in talent that can leverage Edmonton Airports’ strengths to the general public.
As the airport with the largest landmass in Canada, YEG has developed the strategic resources to draw travelers in and create new revenue streams. The Airport City Sustainability Campus has been developed as a destination for visitors, with an outlet mall, golf course, auto raceway, casino, horse racing, restaurants, and hotels. In addition, the Airport City utilizes airport land while supporting innovation and new business development in aviation, logistics, biopharma, agriculture, light manufacturing, technology, tourism, entertainment, and hospitality.
Edmonton Airport’s strategic plan for 2019-23 charts an exciting path to the future guided by:
- A noble cause: Uniting people for a world of new opportunities.
- Vision: More flights to more places.
- Mission: Driving our region’s economic prosperity through aviation and commercial development.
- Overarching long-term goals: 10 million annual enplaned and deplaned passengers by 2025; $3.8 billion in economic output by 2025 (16% growth over per-COVID output of $3.2 billion).
Looking ahead, our core strategies will continue to drive innovation in order to retain and grow passenger demand, grow non-aeronautical revenue and development, create an exceptional customer experience, provide a positive impact through sustainability, and accelerate employee culture, growth and development.
For more information about Edmonton Airports and its strategic plan, check out our website at flyeia.com.
|Reports to:||Director, People & Culture|
|Direct Reports:||3; Human Resource Business Partners|
We are looking for a Manager, People & Culture to be part of driving and supporting our growing team. In this role, you will interface with leaders in guiding the continued development of the Edmonton Airports Employee Experience. We are looking for someone who has experience working in organizations with a culture driven by core values, has a passion for employee experience, and is excited to help accelerate business results through effective people programs. You have experience developing people programs with excellent implementation and are a reliable and trusted partner for people leaders. Reporting to the Director, People & Culture, this role has a team of superstars to support them, which means you enjoy the variety of working in all areas of P&C.
Our ideal candidate wants to work for a fast-paced company that thinks big and dreams huge. You are driven, view work as more than just a job, and are never satisfied with a project left half-done. You have a strong sense of personal ownership and responsibility for completing objectives on time. You want to figure out why things tick which makes you tick but very little ticks you off. You want to think outside the box and continually challenge your own limits, as well as those around you.
Services for Employees:
- Establish open and trusting partnerships with all levels of leaders to ensure effective and consistent practices within the People team and Business Partners.
- Manage and resolve escalated employee and labour relations cases in accordance with relevant policy, resolution procedures and organizational values, and in alignment with Federal Employment Standards and the Collective Agreement(s).
- Collaborate with and provide input to People & Culture business clients on the continuous improvement of our People practices, processes, and programs.
Performance Management & Metrics:
- Lead talent management initiatives, including the development of a robust and progressive performance management process, consistent and ongoing talent assessment, and succession planning.
- Ensure planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results by training and supporting managers to coach and counsel employees, and resolve employee grievances effectively.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and/or participating in professional societies.
- Review and proactively manage key indicators (injuries, claim costs, etc.) with the Disability Management team.
- Lead and oversee the Disability Management programs and service providers, manage and resolve escalated cases.
- Act as the first point of contact for the People & Culture Business Partners and local union representatives should a Labour Relations issue arise. Provides direction on any Labour Relations issues in conjunction with the Director, People & Culture.
- Be actively involved throughout union negotiations, grievances, mediations, or any arbitrations, and serve as lead negotiator as required.
Culture and Engagement:
- Lead the team in assessing and understanding employee engagement and pro-actively supporting client groups in implementing appropriate best practice engagement objectives and action plans.
- Works pro-actively with the People & Culture Business Partners to ensure client groups have the training and support to improve team effectiveness and engagement.
- Ensure the People & Culture Team promotes, champions, and models Edmonton Airport’s desired culture traits.
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Act as a key player in the development and delivery of specific Human Resources initiatives; creating and implementing policy
- Effectively manage and oversee the day-to-day Human Resource function;
- Build solid, trusting relationships with all levels of management, People & Culture staff, union representatives, and other employee groups that are internal to Edmonton Airports; and
- Continue to elevate the organizational culture to be positive and collaborative.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Chartered Professional in Human Resources Certification (CPHR) is preferred.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field is required.
- Minimum of 7 years in a senior Human Resources role within a medium to large organization; with a minimum of 5 years in leadership.
- Comprehensive knowledge in the areas of employment law, organizational planning, labour relations, and performance management.
- Proven ability to deliver and manage projects from inception to completion.
- Experience demonstrating the client management model: mobilizing the best people and integrating the tools and processes required to meet the needs of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to provide pragmatic business solutions to complex human resource issues in a dynamic, fast-paced, and service-driven environment.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Business driven with strong financial acumen.
- Superb interpersonal and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to build strong, trusting relationships with all stakeholders.
- Proven ability to utilize creativity when faced with human resource challenges.
- High level of interpersonal skills and integrity; solid team player.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor human resource professionals and operational leaders.
- Must secure and maintain appropriate airport security clearance and acceptable criminal records check.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
The Edmonton Airports is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and is essential to service excellence. The Edmonton Airports welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with the provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and the Edmonton Airports throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: HRCCCanada.GBS.EdmontonPIES@ajg.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AEEQ-437422 Manager, People & Culture | Edmonton Airports - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.