Manager, Operational Excellence – Noralta Lodge Ltd.
With a corporate vision to “revolutionize the way people, live, work and move remotely”, Noralta Lodge Ltd. (Noralta Lodge) is a leader in the remote lodging industry. Founded in 1997, Noralta Lodge provides superior remote accommodations to remote workers in Northern Alberta in three categories: open lodges (owned and operated facilities), facilities management (operating client-owned facilities, and custom turnkey solutions (purpose-built and operated facilities). Noralta Lodge owns and/or operates over 8500 rooms across 13 lodges. Noralta Lodge offers some of the finest amenities such as 24-hour kitchens, large dining and recreation facilities, fully equipped gyms, and spacious, immaculately clean rooms. All lodge facilities are built utilizing modular construction; growth and re-investment into current facilities are at the cornerstone of our client’s corporate directive. Noralta Lodge is committed to expanding with its customers into new marketplaces with the highest quality facilities available.
Noralta Lodge is located across two Alberta regions (The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo and North Central Alberta), servicing the oil and gas industries. Noralta Lodge has and continues to experience exceptional growth. With approximately 700 team members, Noralta Lodge is all about great people who provide great guest services. They celebrate diversity and empower team members with top pay, great benefits, a quality lifestyle, and career advancement opportunities.
Noralta Lodge prides itself in providing superior lodge accommodations along with exceptional service delivery. As part of their growth and strategic plan, Noralta is looking to further develop its portfolio of catering and overall management of client–owned assets. Noralta Lodge is the first industrial lodge in Alberta to obtain COR designation through the Partnership in Injury Reduction Program (PIR) via the Alberta Hotel Safety Association. A true partner to their clients, Noralta is dedicated to helping oil and gas producers manage the challenges of workforce accommodation.
For further information about Noralta Lodge, please visit the company’s website at: www.noraltalodge.com
MANAGER, OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Direct Reports: Specialist, Operational Excellence; Document Controller; and Quality Advisor
Indirect Reports: Continuous Improvement Teams
Location: Head Office in Edmonton/Nisku, Alberta; Position located either in Edmonton or Fort McMurray, Alberta
The Manager, Operational Excellence is a hands on leadership role accountable for leading the field and Nisku based Operational Excellence team to support the continuous improvement objectives of the business via the creation and deployment of Lean and Six Sigma (LSS) methodologies within the business and guiding the teams in executing LSS process improvement projects with a focus on increased efficiencies, cost reduction and optimized processes achieving ISO certification and compliance.
The Manager has overall responsibility and accountability over the Operational Excellence team to support the needs of the business by leading and conducting the assessment, prioritization, implementation and successful completion of projects and initiatives supporting the overall business plan, budgets, and cost targets.
The Operational Excellence leader will be skilled in supporting the continuous improvement efforts of the organization utilizing their expertise and experience with business process modeling tools, document controls, process optimization tools, and quality assurance tools. The team methodology demands a focus on striving to exceed stakeholder requirements, promoting data-driven decisions, and establishing tools and standards to improve processes from an end-to-end perspective with a focus on efficiencies and cost reduction.
This leadership role will be attractive to a mobile self-starter who excels in a situation of significant autonomy and who is eager to be a change agent by being an educator, leader and manager of LSS process improvements and projects throughout the organization. The role offers the successful incumbent understanding of all aspects of Noralta’s departments by focusing on solving key business issues, processes, and outcomes as they impact the strategic direction of the business.
The work schedule is a fulltime Monday through Friday work week, based in Nisku, Alberta, with 50-75% overnight multiple-day travel to Noralta Lodge remote locations. As this is a field based business, travel over weekends may be required.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Leading the execution and delivery of process improvement initiatives by employing a standardized and replicable LSS methodology;
- Leading the document controls strategy of the organization to ensure that all documents relating to the policies, procedures, forms, and training materials of the organization are standardized, comply with LSS best practices, and adhere to ISO requirements;
- Training and supporting the Operational Excellence Team in the quality audit/assurance process and creating software based tools to complete audits which will be compliant with ISO requirements;
- Facilitating the Operational Excellence team in performing audits in Operations Departments;
- Assisting the Senior Management Team in the prioritization of change initiatives, and identifying areas to focus on development of new policies, procedures and best practices;
- Building effective relationships with key business partners within the business units;
- Facilitating Continuous Improvement teams throughout the organization and training participants, engaging them as Change Agents and LSS Agents;
- Recommending solutions to improve quality and eliminate waste; leading the team through execution of recommendations;
- Monthly reporting of the status of continuous improvement initiatives, project status, and quantifying the impact on bottom line results;
- Proposing and managing the Operational Excellence department budget;
- Prioritizing and managing own workload and the workload of Operational Excellence team members in order to deliver results;
- Deliver coaching, performance assessment, and support of personal development plans of direct reports in accordance with HR practices;
- Collaborating with and supporting the Noralta Lodge leaders to identify training opportunities that will align with Operational Excellence and gaps identified in audits;
- Being familiar with and carrying out duties and responsibilities in accordance with Health & Safety Policies approved by Noralta Lodge along with Occupational Health & Safety regulations; and
- Performing other duties that may be required.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build trusting relationships with members of Noralta at all levels to encourage employee engagement;
- Firmly establish themselves as a leader and mentor to the Operational Excellence team; and
- Drive the outlined Operational Excellence objectives according to the organization’s strategic plan.
- Noralta is leading their industry by being the first to focus on continuous improvement and operational excellence; and
- Against their industry competitors, Noralta is the only organization with proven growth and ambition for future growth.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- A certification in TQM, Lean Six Sigma Black Belt/Master Black Belt or other internationally recognized and accredited Total Quality/Process Improvement system;
- An undergraduate degree or a diploma in business administration, commerce, management, or a related discipline with proven ability to deliver business results which positively contribute to the bottom line;
- A Minimum five (5) years of demonstrable experience in process improvement including two (2) years of supervisory experience; ideally in a hospitality or service business;
- Minimum five (5) years of demonstrable experience in creating and managing document controls and document management;
- Minimum of five (5) years of demonstrable experience in creating and managing a quality audit/assurance system;
- Minimum of three (3) years working within an ISO compliant environment and demonstrable experience creating systems, processes, and controls which resulted in a successful ISO designation;
- Intermediate to Expert proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point); and be familiar with Project Management Software;
- Intermediate to Expert proficiency in business process modelling software suites such as Lombardi Blueprint or similar;
- Intermediate to Expert proficiency with enterprise resource planning/management systems such as Microsoft Dynamics AX, or similar; and
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License with a clean Driver’s Abstract.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Strong command of the English language and the ability to communicate clearly and in a concise and businesslike manner;
- Ability to learn the business model and apply LSS knowledge utilizing strong interpersonal skills to influence individuals and teams into being agents of LSS at all levels of the organization;
- Willingness to travel extensively to and from Noralta’s remote locations and Nisku Head Office;
- Keep information in strict confidence;
- Possesses strong organization and project planning skills;
- Ability to rationally analyze information and make effective decisions, follow-through on commitments, be proactive and calm under pressure of pending deadlines;
- Ability to use sound judgment, tact and diplomacy while applying company policies;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills coupled with the ability to interface and establish close working relationship with all levels of the organization;
- Proven ability and demonstration of leadership skills; and
- Strong learning agility, analytical and strategic thinking skills.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AVJD-136600 Manager, Operational Excellence – Noralta Lodge Ltd. - AB - Edmonton and Area Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.