Manager, Human Resources & Safety | Gateway Mechanical Services
Gateway Mechanical Services (“Gateway”) was founded in 1968 and is privately owned. They have established themselves as a leader in the commercial and industrial refrigeration, heating, and air conditioner industry (HVACR). Attending to 40,000+ service calls per year, Gateway is the largest HVAC & Refrigeration service provider in Western Canada. Their model is comprised of local branch teams with fully qualified personnel representing HVAC, refrigeration, plumbing/gas fitting, sheet metal and electrical trades. These teams are supported by centers of excellence including professional engineers and project managers which ensures Gateway’s full technical capability is available for every project and service call.
Gateway Mechanical Services has a passion for the work they do, and their employees exemplify this every day. This passion coupled with an uncompromising commitment to excellence drives everything they do. They have a saying, “With Gateway, it’s personal™”. That means they go the extra mile when others won’t. They find solutions when others can’t. They do whatever it takes to get the job done right the first time because that’s how it should always be done.
Vision: We build an environment that unlocks potential, inspires performance, and delivers peace of mind.
Mission: Working as One Team with customers and each other, Gateway Mechanical Services leverages our expertise and work ethic to provide responsive mechanical contracting solutions to commercial, institutional, and industrial customers across western Canada.
Our experienced group of team members ensure that:
- Our mechanical systems run efficiently, leaving our customers with peace of mind and time to focus on being productive
- Our employees are highly trained in their area of expertise and provide quality service to our customers
- Our industry remains progressive utilizing advances in technology in our day-to-day operations
- Our company embraces innovation, remains financially strong, and honours our commitments to customers and community
Values: After 50 years in business, who we are at our core has not changed. The values that guide our actions and decisions are the same today as they were the day we started. Gateway Mechanical has seen consistent growth over the years by supporting the community, building a strong reputation and focusing on customer satisfaction. The drive and commitment behind our success has always been in the quality of our people.
For more information, please visit: https://gatewaymechanical.ca/
|Reports to:||Director, Corporate Services|
|Direct Reports:||4 – Human Resources Generalist, Safety Coordinator (x2), and Safety Administrator|
|Indirect Reports:||1 – Human Resources Coordinator (reports to the HR Generalist)|
|Location:||Edmonton, AB or Calgary, AB or Regina, SK or Saskatoon, SK or Winnipeg, MB|
The Manager, Human Resources & Safety is a member of the Management Team and leads the development and implementation of the Human Resources and Safety business plans to deliver corporate achievement.
This is a hands-on Human Resources leadership role interacting closely with all levels of the business. The role is responsible for the development and implementation of Human Resources and Safety strategies, policies, practices and programs for employment, recruitment, compensation, employee development, training and employee & labour relations. The Manager, Human Resources & Safety ensures compliance to labour laws and regulations and acts as the key point of contact with government, unions and other regulatory bodies for both Human Resources and Safety departments.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for creating and implementing a human resources & safety plan that supports Gateway’s growth, strategic plan, culture, safety objectives, and Mission, Vision and Values;
- In conjunction with the Leadership Team and Management Team, the position is responsible for developing and executing annual HR business plans (including metrics) that support the objectives of the company;
- Ensure Gateway’s Total Rewards Strategy supports Gateway’s strategic goals; and
- Contribute Human Resources and Safety metrics to Quarterly Board Reports.
- Develop and execute Gateway’s Employee Engagement plan to deliver top quartile employee engagement results and continuous improvement in Gateway’s Employee Net Promoter Score.
- Develop and implement programs that support the growth and talent within Gateway;
- Collaborate with the Leadership Team and Management Team to develop and manage the succession management program to ensure the future talent needs of the organization are met;
- Develop and manage Management and Team Member Development and Training, including the process, systems, structure, and content of the Learning Management System; and
- Ensure Performance Management, Individual Development Planning, Individual Performance Plans, and other performance assessment and rewards programs are completed by leaders as required during the year.
- Execute Gateway’s recruitment strategy; develop recruitment strategies to meet the needs of the company’s growth plans in conjunction with Gateway’s three-year strategic plans including the development of an attractive employer brand within Canada;
- Develop and promote Gateway’s employer brand externally, ensuring Gateway is well positioned to have a continuous supply of technical and administrative talent as required to facilitate business growth;
- Through external and internal recruitment, oversee the process of recruitment for senior talent;
- Be the primary contact of technical schools and unions to build long standing relationships, promoting Gateway as an employer and sourcing technical talent to meet the business requirements of Gateway;
- Provide coaching and support to management regarding all recruitment activities for both hourly and salary team members;
- Oversee the development and execution of an effective company-wide onboarding program for both office and field team members utilizing best industry practices to minimize a new team member’s time from initial hire to productivity; and
- Oversee the full cycle recruitment process to successfully attract candidates, utilizing innovative methods for sourcing top talent in specific locations.
Organizational Development & Change Management:
- Work with all levels of leadership to create a culture that supports Gateway’s Mission, Vision and Values;
- In conjunction with the Marketing team, lead Gateway’s internal people communications to inform and improve employee engagement within the organization;
- Lead, create and implement organizational development programs and tools to drive continuous learning that supports the performance and development of leaders and team members at all levels of the organization;
- Collaborate with the appropriate managers to support business structure or process redesign and take ownership over the change management process to ensure effective communication and transition;
- Coach and mentor leaders using a collaborative style to create fellowship as well as alignment with the organizational culture;
- Foster and facilitate an environment of employee engagement with new and developing policies and systems;
- Provide front-line managers in all departments with the proper tools, training, coaching and support necessary to fully understand and value new HR initiatives and programs;
- Act as an “ambassador for change” and fully support and answer all questions regarding any business-driven initiatives to front-line workers, managers and executive; and
- Provide training, when necessary, to front-line managers and team members to ensure clear comprehension and success of HR program, policy and procedure implementation.
Performance Management & Compensation:
- Ensure an effective performance management system is incorporated company-wide and aligned to ensure that Gateway’s annual performance goals are achieved;
- Partner with the Leadership Team and Management Team to administer and provide coaching on the performance management process;
- Ensure total compensation (base compensation, short-term compensation, benefits) are competitive within the industry and aligned to total compensation philosophy; and
- Conduct annual total compensation studies as part of the corporate budgeting and business planning process and make recommendations to the Leadership Team and CEO.
Employee & Labour Relations:
- Foster positive employee relations (union and non-union) by acting as a subject matter expert for labour laws and collective agreements;
- Manage and administer the grievance process in a timely manner when required;
- Promote positive union relations through effective communication, accountability and professionalism;
- Respond to requests and questions (policies, benefits, compensation, etc.) from all levels of employees (union and non-union) in a professional and confidential manner; and
- Stay current on human rights, employment standards, labour standards legislation and best practices in all jurisdictions to ensure compliance. This includes being well versed in evolving practices in industry.
HR Program and Policy Development:
- Research, develop and implement HR policies and programs that support the growth and performance of Gateway.
- Championing Gateway’s Safety Culture and take a proactive approach to incident and injury reduction;
- Ensure Gateway’s Safety Management System supports a culture of safety excellence and reliable reporting;
- Be the gate keeper for all Health & Safety Policies and Programs as approved annually by the CEO;
- Collaborate with Safety Coordinators & Safety Administrators to coordinate modified and return to work programs; and
- Work with operational leaders to ensure Gateway successfully passes COR audits and regulatory requirements.
- As a member of the Management team contribute to strategy and ensure that actionable business plans are created and implemented to deliver these strategic objectives;
- Collaborate with all levels of leadership and are able to adapt your style as required to effectively communicate with these different leaders;
- Foster meaningful, constructive relationships with labour unions;
- Maintain a positive and growing working relationship with appropriate educational institutions, industry associations and networks; and
- Develop relationships and communicate with our teams in all jurisdictions.
- Over 54 years of service and a Western Canadian leader in the commercial and industrial heating, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing, electrical and sheet metal industry;
- Join a highly skilled, passionate team that has an uncompromising commitment to excellence that drives everything they do;
- The successful candidate will be given the opportunity to put their mark on developing and implementing continuous improvement in Human Resources & Safety that will help in the growth of the company; and
- Gateway Mechanical Services has an entrepreneurial spirit and tenacity based on their foundation for success, which continues to guide them daily.
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of Gateway Mechanical Services’ current processes and service capabilities;
- Build trusting, open, collaborative and respective relationships throughout the organization;
- Through direct engagement with leaders and team members, improve Gateway’s employee net promoter score by identifying opportunities for continuous improvement to ensure a highly engaged workforce;
- Develop and enhance meaningful, collaborative relationships with union partners to engage the union in solving business problems together;
- Ensure the performance management system aligns with Gateway Mechanical Services’ overall strategy and that all levels of the organization (leadership and frontline staff) are actively engaged in performance management, providing training as needed;
- Develop excellent relationships with trade schools and industry partners to attract people to the trade in support of ongoing recruitment efforts; and
- Ensure people understand and exemplify a strong safety culture to lower safety incidents across the company.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary education, preferably in Human Resources Management or Business Administration, minimum a Diploma level is a requirement; and
- Professional HR designation (CHRP) is a requirement.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive HR experience across multiple HR disciplines (Employee Engagement, Labour Relations, Performance Management, Talent Management, Training & Development);
- Minimum 2 years as a leader or supervisor of human resources team members is a requirement;
- Previous experience delivering HR in a unionized environment;
- Demonstrated success implementing and delivering effective training and development programs; and
- Experience in the facilities service industry an asset.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Solid leadership, coaching, facilitation, conflict resolution and relationship management skills;
- Business acumen with effective execution skills to ensure the successful delivery/implementation of special initiatives, processes, and policies;
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (listening, verbal, written, presentation);
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a Human Resources team;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and initiatives in a fast pace changing environment;
- Effectively demonstrates critical and analytical thinking;
- Organizational agility, with a high level of comfort in dealing with employees at all levels; and
- Ability to engage and influence outcomes.
Gateway Mechanical Services is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and is essential to service excellence. Gateway Mechanical Services welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with the provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and Gateway Mechanical Services throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: HRCCCanada.GBS.EdmontonES@ajg.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AEBS-563665 Manager, Human Resources & Safety | Gateway Mechanical Services - AB - Calgary and AreaAB - Edmonton and AreaMB - WinnipegSK - ReginaSK - Saskatoon (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.