Manager, Government and Community Relations – St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation (SLSMC)
The St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation (SLSMC), formerly known as the St. Lawrence Seaway Authority, is a nonprofit Canadian Corporation established in 1998 by the government of Canada, in partnership with Seaway users and other stakeholders, in order to ensure safe and efficient marine traffic. As dictated by the 1998 Canada Marine Act, the Corporation manages and operates the assets of the Crown entrusted to St. Lawrence Seaway, which consists of lands, Canals and 13 of the 15 locks between Montreal and Lake Erie, for the government under a long-term agreement with Transport Canada”.
The Corporation’s activities include traffic management, navigation aids, safety, environmental programs, trade development, assets maintenance and renewal. The St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation caters to the needs of shipping interests, ports, marine agencies, and provincial and state jurisdictions.
The St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation head office is based in Cornwall, Ontario and has additional regional offices in Saint-Lambert, Quebec, and St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada.
The Corporation’s mandate promotes efficiency and responsiveness to the needs of shipping interests, ports, marine agencies, and provincial and state jurisdictions.
SLSMC Mission Statement
We serve our customers by passing ships through a safe, secure and reliable waterway system in a cost effective, efficient, environmentally and socially responsible manner to deliver value to the North American economy.
The SLSMC and its partners – an essential and responsive transportation system connecting the heartland of North America to the world.
For further information about St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation, please visit their website at http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/management/slsmc/
Reporting to the Vice President – External Relations, the role of this position and unit is to promote the Great-Lakes Seaway System’s economic and political value as an integrated and viable bi-national transportation system.
The Manager, Government and Community Relations builds and maintains relationships with stakeholders of the broader Seaway community and with governmental entities and manages external communications for the Corporation in order to increase awareness of the positive impacts and contributions of the Seaway system as well as mitigate any political and community development that could inhibit SLSMC’s mandate, mission and strategic direction.
The role promotes and engages with adjacent communities towards a harmonized and shared use of the waterway as well as harmonizes local activities while maintaining its broader strategic objectives and operational needs.
- In collaboration with other departments and/or regions, translates strategic and business needs (mission) into management decisions, practices, priorities and work assignments of his/her department;
- Manages the appropriate allocation of resources – human, financial and physical assets – for the optimal performance, safety and productivity of his/her unit;
- Leads and coaches personnel towards the achievement of objectives of the Corporation and his/her unit;
- Respects and works within the boundaries of legislative requirements, contractual agreements, resource allocation and the policies, procedures or standards of the SLSMC;
- Fosters effective communications, positive working relationships within his/her unit, the Corporation and with external entities in order to ensure ongoing commitment to the Corporation’s vision and long-term sustainability.
- Provides technical or functional leadership, support and in some cases, decisions in the area of external communications, government and community relations on matters that promotes the benefits of marine transportation specific to Seaway and/or mitigate negative relations that could negatively affect the Corporation’s mandate;
- Maintains and manages close relationships with broader stakeholders in order to obtain optimal cooperation on SLSMC objectives. In some cases, leads changes and activities in collaboration with both internal colleagues and external contacts on joint activities.
Examples of stakeholders include:
- Canadian government agencies at all levels
- SLSDC Management (Washington) of SLSDC
- Interest Groups such as SODES, SFC, CMC, AGLPA
- Transport Canada (support on MOMA negotiations, Lands/Lease agreements, etc)
Priorities for the First Year in Position
1. Develop an in-depth understanding of the organization, its culture, structure and modus operandi;
2. Participate in the execution of on-going projects (ie. outreach programs) by working closely with all stakeholders and helping standardize processes in a harmonious fashion;
# of direct reports: 1 Communication Officer
# of indirect reports: Nil
Operational budget: TBD
- University degree in an appropriate discipline combined ideally with a master’s degree;
Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ relevant experience in a corporate external communications role with solid knowledge and experience in making full use of all communication tools;
- A minimum of five years’ Management experience combined with experience at interacting with and influencing corporate executives, senior level government officials, contractors and various other stakeholders;
- Large network of contacts, ideally within Canadian government agencies, Ontario and Quebec provincial governments, interest groups and Transport Canada;
- Exposure to the transportation sector, and in particular, ideally, the maritime sector;
- Experience in managing a corporate image and interacting and influencing various community groups;
- Perfectly bilingual in both official languages combined with strong writing and presentation skills;
Ideal Personal Profile:
- A Passionate and dedicated communicator and relationship builder with strong communications and interpersonal skills;
- An organized manager, very autonomous and skilled at planning and prioritizing;
- Innovative and creative, yet analytical and attentive to details;
- Honest, empathetic, level-headed and credible with a sound judgment;
- Flexible and adaptable in his interactions with others, yet resilient and at ease under pressure;
- At ease with managing change, enabling the community and collaborating with all stakeholders;
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A020337 (AOXG-052631) Manager, Government and Community Relations – St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation (SLSMC) - ON - CornwallQC - Montreal (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.