Manager, Enterprise Financial Systems – Calgary Board of Education
The Calgary Board of Education(“CBE”) is one of Canada’s largest school system educating more than 121,000 students in over 245 schools and has responsibility for an annual budget of approximately $1.4B. More than 14,000 employees work together to provide learning as unique as every student.
The work is guided by a Three-Year Education Plan, which connects each CBE employee to student success. This creates an environment where each student can become an engaged learner, prepared for success in life, work and future learning.
The CBE is guided by an elected board of seven trustees. Trustees are elected every four years during the municipal election along with Calgary’s mayor and councilors. Day-to-day operations are led by a team of superintendents who are responsible for meeting the expectations of the Board of Trustees as set out in the Board’s Results policies and Operational Expectations.
Each student, in keeping with his or her individual abilities and gifts, will complete high school with a foundation of learning necessary to thrive in life, work and continued learning.
Students come first;
Learning is our central purpose;
Public education serves the common good.
For further information about Calgary Board of Education, please visit their website at http://www.cbe.ab.ca
MANAGER, ENTERPRISE FINANCIAL SYSTEMS
Reports to: Director, Corporate Finance
Direct Reports: 3 positions
Location: Calgary, AB
The purpose of this position is to be a trusted business advisor responsible for planning, organizing and administering the operations of the CBE Enterprise Financial Systems. This position will ensure uptime reliability and data integrity to support the decision-making process.
This position is responsible and accountable to the Director, Corporate Finance for the development and implementation of the strategic direction and goals for the Enterprise Financial Systems at Calgary Board of Education (CBE). In collaboration with the Senior Management in Finance/Technology Services and other business Area Leaders, creates the vision and long-term plan for enterprise financial systems at the CBE. As a member of the leadership team, this position is accountable for:
- Ensure the integrity of financial data in the enterprise systems.
- Performing Monitoring and Evaluating activities related to Financial Data.
- Ensuring that proper controls and related procedures are in place and are confirmed to be working and effective. Using best practice to align the Enterprise Financial Systems.
- Managing the financial records (in all formats including physical and electronic) consistent with the CBE’s Classification and Retention Schedule and the Record Management Strategy and Timeline.
- Producing records and reports for Management, Audit, Government etc. and other purposes.
- Knowing and determining what records are being created, collection and similarly how they are to be maintained and managed.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- In collaboration with the Director, Corporate Finance and the CBE Technology Council develops the strategic direction and goals for the Enterprise Financial Systems consistent with organizational technology strategy and vision
- Develops appropriate Key Performance Indicators [KPI] and operational performance measures for the service unit, including the identification, monitoring and reporting of these to assist in performance improvements
- Provides stewardship and data governance to the CBE’s enterprise systems in financial reporting to ensure the integrity of the data
- Reviews and assesses financial management trends which may affect other areas of operation
- In conjunction with the Director of Corporate Finance, reviews and recommends changes in Board Policies and Administrative Regulations dealing with financial matters. Updates applicable corporate accounting policies, guidelines and procedures, as appropriate, for distribution to other service units/schools
Business Relationship Management
- Collaborates with Finance and other business unit leadership to effectively follow and support an “Enterprise Governance Model” that leads to data integrity
- Represents Finance/Technology Services on CBE’s Technology Council and other relevant committees
- Coordinate the development of CBE’s financial systems architecture in partnership with IT Operations, Human Resources, and external technology consultants leveraging existing enterprise resource planning (ERP) platform and ’best-of-class’ vertical solutions to establish foundational technology infrastructure
- Defines, assesses and evaluates stakeholders’ needs and develops an action plan to meet those needs
- Oversees the implementation and monitoring of appropriate computerized systems for recording and controlling financial transactions including the integration of PeopleSoft and payroll data with Oracle e-Business Suite (EBS) (General Ledger Interface), and integrations of Oracle EBS G/L with Oracle Hyperion
- Provides analytical and reporting support to stakeholders to enable financial and business decision-making
- Leads special projects and corporate initiatives
- Manage budget, provide financial forecasts, track project milestones, and deliver expected return on investment on all initiatives
- Co-ordinates activities on behalf of CBE with outside consultants (e.g. auditors, information systems consultants), as they pertain to enterprise financial systems.
- Plans, directs and oversees the training to school-based administrators, staff and service units on the enterprise financial systems
- Ensure adequate security process is in place for the enterprise financial systems (user access)
- Manages the internal audit process and prepares relevant reports to senior management, audit committee, or Board of Trustees
- Provides proactive leadership to staff in the Enterprise Financial Systems department
- As a member of the management team, provides leadership in:
- Decision making
- Forward planning
- Establishment of goals and objectives
- Formulating policies and procedures
- Setting standards in the area of performance management
- Maintenance of internal and external contacts
- Selects or approves the appointment of staff for the department. Establishes standards of performance, directs staff training, evaluates and monitors an overall employee performance program. Provides leadership to the department to achieve results
- Supervises and participates in goal setting and performance appraisal of team members and encourages ongoing staff development. Reviews effectiveness of staff and of the section’s service levels provided to the organization and its stakeholders. Establishes and enforces standards, procedures and quality control measures
- Prepares and manages the budget for the unit and all enterprise financial system projects, and report on progress
- Performs other related duties as assigned
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Define the vision pertaining to enterprise financial systems (Oracle)
- Develop a full understanding of internal stakeholder group needs
- Define an action plan to deliver on the vision
- Review the control processes in place and strengthen the governance process around data control
- Develop collaborative working relationship between IT team and Enterprise Systems teams
THE ATTRACTION & OPPORTUNITY
- You have a passion for and commitment to public education
- To play a key role in positioning the CBE to be a leader and Best in Class in enterprise financial systems
- Join one of the largest school systems in Canada
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) or equivalent accounting experience required
- A minimum of ten years of successful professional and/or business experience, preferably as public administrator, which includes a minimum of five years in a supervisory or management role and a minimum of five years of professional experience in ERP Systems management
- Strong project management, change management, and critical reasoning skills including ability to:
- analyze complex facts or situations
- summarize the results in a logical and concise manner
- present solution recommendations along with pros and cons to senior management
- Business analysis experience is an asset
- Experience with Hyperion, Oracle eBusiness, SIS, People Soft, and Archibus would be an asset
- An equivalent combination of directly related post-secondary education and directly related experience may be considered
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Strong organizational planning and leadership abilities with the ability to manage multiple large projects at the same time
- Commitment to fostering collaborative working relationships; ability to create positive relationships to establish rapport and influence with various interest groups and stakeholders
- Exceptional verbal/written communication skills
- Clear philosophy of leadership and management with strong work ethic
- Knowledge of school system structure and functions
- Strong conceptual thinking, critical thinking, analytical and research skills; ability to think systemically and globally
- Strong orientation to timely and effective task completion; well-developed skills in organization and time management
- Ethic of care, community orientation, personal integrity and trustworthiness
- Personal suitability
Under Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation, Optimum Talent requires your consent to provide you with information via email that is relevant to you. This may include electronic communications regarding job opportunities that you are pursuing. Please click the following link in order to access and complete our online subscription form on the homepage of our website: http://www.optimumtalent.com/
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ACCX-787415 Manager, Enterprise Financial Systems – Calgary Board of Education - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.