Manager, Corporate Planning & Reporting – Calgary Board of Education
The Calgary Board of Education(“CBE”) is one of Canada’s largest school system educating more than 121,000 students in over 245 schools and has responsibility for an annual budget of approximately $1.4B. More than 14,000 employees work together to provide learning as unique as every student.
The work is guided by a Three-Year Education Plan, which connects each CBE employee to student success. This creates an environment where each student can become an engaged learner, prepared for success in life, work and future learning.
The CBE is guided by an elected board of seven trustees. Trustees are elected every four years during the municipal election along with Calgary’s mayor and councilors. Day-to-day operations are led by a team of superintendents who are responsible for meeting the expectations of the Board of Trustees as set out in the Board’s Results policies and Operational Expectations.
Each student, in keeping with his or her individual abilities and gifts, will complete high school with a foundation of learning necessary to thrive in life, work and continued learning.
Students come first;
Learning is our central purpose;
Public education serves the common good.
For further information about Calgary Board of Education, please visit their website at http://www.cbe.ab.ca
Job Title: Manager, Corporate Planning & Reporting
Reports to: Director, Corporate Financial Services
Location: Calgary, AB
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Finance Services, this position is a key member of the Corporate Financial Services management team and responsible for managing effective and efficient delivery of organizational budgets, reporting, analysis and financial guidance to the organization including leading continuous improvement activities to enhance services. In addition to providing leadership to the Corporate Planning & Reporting department, this position supports senior administrators of the CBE and maintains effective relationships with key stakeholders to facilitate the fulfillment of the organization’s goals.
- Providing leadership, guidance and direction to the department and integrated support to schools as well as the organization
- Providing support, advice, and direction to ensure effective and efficient financial management of the organization and schools
- Prepare budgets, financial reports and analyses that explain operating results and assist the organization to plan and deliver results
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to support financial and operating activities that comply with regulatory and governance policies.
- Providing proactive leadership to the departmental staff while working effectively within a team environment to contribute and influence organizational change and continuous improvement to ensure organizational success
Leadership and Strategy Development
- Participates in decision making, goal setting, planning and over-all coordination of the work of the department
- Provides proactive leadership to the team. Evaluates client needs and determines resources needed to fulfil them. Establishes business processes that achieve efficiencies and effectiveness of the work unit, and ensures compliance with accounting best practice and optimization of organizational budgeting practice
- Demonstrates a continuous improvement mindset to enact positive change in line with organizational objectives
- Recruit, develop and evaluate performance of staff to ensure efforts are aligned with organizational objectives while fostering team engagement
- Communicates necessary information to the appropriate team members and stakeholders to ensure effective delivery of services
- May represent Corporate Finance at management meetings, boards or committee
- Develops, distributes and maintains accounting, reporting and business practices standards and guidelines
- Collaborates with other departments to provide integrated support to the organization including schools and supporting functions
- Monitors organizational financial practices, business procedures and financial results to ensure that they support planning, managing and explaining operating results. Also ensures compliance with regulations, CBE administrative regulations and ethical standards
- Provides consultative services to senior management, school administrators, and service units
- Develop, train and support staff in the delivery of financial processes that effectively manage resources allocated to schools and have adequate controls
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Business Relationship Management
- Collaborates with other department managers in translating regulatory, legislative and policy matters (financial and business processes) to implement change in affected areas
- Acts as the primary liaison with the external auditors for school related audit requirements. Co-ordinates responses to audit recommendations or observations with respect to financial and business activities in the schools
- Maintains relationships with internal and external organizations to enhance effective and efficient delivery of services
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop an understanding of the business of the CBE, how they all interact and fit together and the how the budget and planning story comes together and is developed
- Build, lead and coach a strong and cohesive team with increased accountability and standardization and one that is focused on continuous improvement initiatives enabling a transition from compliance to analysis therefore providing greater integrated financial knowledge to decision makers
- Show proactivity and an inquisitive mind to learn and communicate how the mandate of this role further supports the Corporate Financial Services Department, schools, and the organization as a whole
- To provide effective level of service, assess roles and competencies within the department and identify gaps and growth opportunities for staff
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A university degree and holds a professional accounting designation
- Minimum of ten years of professional and/or business accounting experience with a minimum of five years of supervisory experience related to business finance management, accounting, auditing, leadership and/or project management
- Adaptable to complex computerized financial systems and proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Current knowledge of relevant legislation, governance policies and Public Sector Accounting Standards
- Experience in the public sector is an asset
Competencies and Attributes
- Balance leadership and strategic planning with organizational capability to deliver results
- Strong professional judgment applied to work through ambiguity, problem solving, project management and prioritization of efforts
- Foster cooperative teamwork with high levels of service-oriented performance.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent individual initiative and relationship building capabilities
- Demonstrated integrity and trustworthiness
- Effectively manage sensitive and confidential issues
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ACWY-263773 Manager, Corporate Planning & Reporting – Calgary Board of Education - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.