Manager, Corporate Communications | Parkland Corporation
Parkland Corporation has been powering journeys and energizing communities for over 50 years. From humble beginnings in Alberta, and headquartered in Calgary, they have grown to become an international business with extensive operations in Canada, the United States, the Caribbean region and Central and South America.
Each day, through its portfolio of trusted brands which include Chevron and FasGas retail locations, ON the RUN convenience stores, JOURNIE™ rewards loyalty and M&M Food Market, Parkland provides 1.5 million customers with the essential fuels convenience items, and quality foods they depend on.
Parkland are also leaders in renewable energy. From renewable fuel production, carbon offsets, electric vehicle charging, and solar energy , they are committed to leading through the energy transition and providing their customers with choices to lower their environmental impact.
Parkland’s Corporate Strategy:
Parkland’s proven strategy is centred around organic growth, its supply advantage, acquiring prudently, and integrating successfully. The company is focused on:
- Developing its existing business in resilient markets,
- Growing, and diversifying its retail business into food, convenience, and renewable energy solutions, and
- Helping its commercial customers decarbonize their operations.
Parkland’s strategy is underpinned by our people, as well as our values of safety, integrity, community, and respect, which are deeply embedded across our organization.
Purpose: Powering Journeys and Energizing Communities
Leadership Characteristics: Build. Own. Lead. Deliver.
Values: Safety, Integrity, Community and Respect
For more information about Parkland, please visit their website: https://www.parkland.ca/
Position Title: Manager, Corporate Communications
Reports to: Director, Corporate Communications
Location: Calgary, AB
Parkland has an impressive track record of growth and has reached an exciting juncture in its evolution. Anchored to its purpose, Parkland’s business is about more than powering their customers journeys. It’s also about powering people with high-quality convenience and food and providing its customers with a range of choices to help them lower their environmental impact. It’s an exciting business, with an exciting story to tell. That’s where you come in!
As the company, continues its growth trajectory it aims to tell a simple, compelling story about where they’ve come from, and most importantly, where they’re going.
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Communications, this role will play a key role in evolving the perception of Parkland as a company that is one step ahead of customers’ evolving needs. From conventional and renewable fuel, electric vehicle (EV) charging, solar power, carbon off-sets, convenience, and food – Parkland is committed to leading its customers through the energy transition, helping them lower their environmental impact and providing unrivalled convenience.
To support its communications objectives, Parkland has engaged several third-party firms. This role will work closely and collaboratively with each – with the ultimate goal of ensuring Parkland is recognized as an innovative customer-facing business that is creating convenience destinations of the future.
Communications Strategy & Corporate Communications
- Working closely with the Director, Corporate Communications you will help advance the overall communications strategy with accountability for developing and executing operational plans and ensuring alignment and coordinated execution across internal groups.
- Create and execute detailed project plans for current and future deliverables, using your experience and influencing skills to gain buy-in and support from the business and stakeholder groups. Ensure deliverables and key milestones are being met and course-correct when needed.
- Create and deliver an annual leadership communications plan which maintains a regular cadence of employee events including:
o an annual strategy presentation
o all employee virtual calls
o leadership video interview series
o informal leader and employee sessions
- Build and execute an annual award strategy spanning each of our operating geographies, which advances our communications strategy, positively influences the perception of the company and builds pride among employees. Working collaboratively alongside co-workers from across the business, lead the award submission process.
- Contribute writing and quality control expertise to key corporate communications and external disclosures, including the Sustainability Report, Annual Information Form, and news releases spanning transactions, announcements and quarterly disclosures.
- Project Manage execution of Parkland’s refreshed website, working alongside third party creative firms, internal stakeholders and Information Technology and Security. Ensure the website is built on solid search engine optimization principles, is supported by an appropriate paid search program and lead the delivery of monthly analytics to measure impact.
- Partnering with the broader communications team this role will lead the creation, execution and enterprise-wide coordination of a media plan encompassing trade and paid media, crisis and issues management and media analytics and reporting. Specific accountabilities include:
- Develop and build out a trade media strategy, coordinating across our operating regions to ensure we maximize opportunities, align messaging and cast and prepare the most appropriate spokespeople.
- Create annual plans across Canada, US, and international trade titles – providing communicators in all regions with clear visibility to annual publishing schedules.
- Engage with in-region teams to frame and pitch participation, prepare for interviews, and equip each publication with compelling visual assets to support Parkland’s story.
- Identify and secure strategic paid/sponsored opportunities in high quality business titles.
- Shape the narrative strategy in each opportunity, build key messages, prepare interviewees, liaise with journalists, and ensure they have quality visuals to support their stories.
- Support event sponsorships with quality communications that engage internal and external audiences.
Analytics & Reporting
- Create a media scorecard that evaluates the effectiveness of media efforts and coverage.
- Establish a cadence of quality media analytics that track the impact and capture lessons learned of media efforts.
Issues & Crisis Preparedness
- Refresh the overall enterprise issues and media crisis plan.
- Play the lead role in ensuring operational communicators have appropriate plans in place and support and advise as needed to handle issues.
- The opportunity to join a highly ambitious, dynamic and forward-thinking Canadian headquartered organization that is positioned for continued growth and expansion.
- The opportunity to develop a comprehensive communications and media strategy that will deliver a compelling narrative and consistent story to ensure all stakeholders understand Parkland and the essential role it plays in customers’ lives.
- The opportunity to participate in the repositioning of Parkland’s brand – elevating its perception across stakeholder groups and ability to attract and retain employee talent that will advance strategic objectives.
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Thoughtfully integrate into Parkland by gaining a comprehensive understanding of the company’s history, strategy, mission, and values, and effectively share this story with stakeholders.
- Build trusting relationships with both internal and external stakeholders across business lines to understand the diverse needs and collaborate effectively on wide-scale projects.
- In partnership with the broader communications team – lead the creation, execution and enterprise-wide coordination of a media plan encompassing trade and paid media, crisis and issues management and media analytics and reporting.
- In partnership with the Director, Corporate Communications – advance the overall communications strategy by developing and successfully executing detailed operational plans ensuring alignment and coordinated execution across internal groups.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, media/public relations or related business / commerce field
- MBA or equivalent graduate degree preferred
- 10+ years of experience in communications
- Previous experience in a leadership capacity managing a communications portfolio and proven track record of successfully managing high profile and large-scale projects in a company of a similar size and scope
- Proven strategic experience and leadership in communications including developing strategic plans and roadmaps for communications and media
Competencies and Attributes
- A recognized self-starter who excels in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Advanced communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent project management, organization and time management skills with the ability to effectively lead cross-functional project teams
- Strong business acumen and a system-wide leader who understands the complexity of large organizations and is comfortable working in a matrixed environment.
- Experience working within publicly traded, and consumer/marketing-led organizations.
- Strong knowledge and application of change management practices as they relate to company-wide initiatives and projects.
- Ability to think creatively, reimagine concepts and develop innovative strategies.
- Ability to promote teamwork, collaboration, and partnership.
Parkland is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and enriches our work and is essential to operational excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AMRI-038723 Manager, Corporate Communications | Parkland Corporation - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.