Manager, Clinical & Administrative Services – Surgical Centres Inc
Surgical Centres Inc (SCI) is the leading provider of non-hospital surgical and medical care in Canada and operates non-hospital surgical facilities in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan. With a legacy spanning almost 30 years, SCI is Canada’s largest and longest-serving broad-based surgical service provider.
SCI partners with Regional Health Authorities to increase surgical access and capacity. Since 1988, SCI has helped over three hundred thousand people get access to the surgery and diagnostics they need; from spine surgery, orthopedic surgery, and endoscopy…to plastic surgery, corneal transplant, carpal tunnel surgery and more.
For further information about Surgical Centres Inc, please visit their website at https://surgicalcentres.com/
Job Title: Manager, Clinical & Administrative Services
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer and Medical Director
Location: Victoria, BC
SCI is seeking a dynamic Manager-Clinical and Administrative Services for their state-of-the-art ambulatory surgical facility, in Victoria, B.C., providing Endoscopy and Surgical Services. The successful individual will be responsible for ensuring quality patient care through the day to day management of the Operating Rooms, Endoscopy Unit, Medical Device Reprocessing, and the Post-Anaesthetic Care Unit. The Manager-Clinical and Administrative Services will work independently and as a member of a team and will be the key contact with Island Health.
This is a working manager role balancing time between the OR and management of the facility. The role ensures optimum patient care in the O.R., PARR, and Day Surgery area by providing hands-on O.R services and supervision of nursing and ancillary personnel; liaison with medical staff and specific clinical responsibilities, while ensuring overall objectives of the Clinic are met.
The View Royal Surgical Centre in Victoria is the newest and most technologically advanced facility and is located in Eagle Creek Village. The facility consists of 8 operating rooms including 5 General Surgery rooms that specialize in Orthopedic, General Surgery, Plastic and reconstructive surgery and 3 rooms dedicated to Colon Screening. The facility also has 4 Overnight Rooms. Not all operating rooms are in use today but longer-term the goal is to have all operating rooms utilized at maximum capacity.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
Clinical Services/Facilities Management
- Direct activities related to specified clinical services to ensure patient needs are met in accordance with professional standards of medical and nursing care and organizational administrative policies and procedures
O.R. Scheduling/Patient Screening
- Checks all pre-op History and Physical exams for potential problems or suitability for surgery.
- Reviews slated cases for each day’s surgery to check for conflicts in timing equipment, etc.
- Purchase and maintain control of all narcotics on site
- Ensures record keeping and documentation of narcotic counts in PAR and O.R.
Inventory & Surgical Supply
- Is responsible for maintaining stock of drugs and supplies in all clinical areas.
- Submits weekly order to Suppliers for basic day-to-day supplies.
- Ensure effective and efficient use of staff, facilities, equipment, and other resources while maintaining patient care standards and a culture of patient safety
- Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of organizational and departmental objectives, policies/procedures and standards of nursing practice and patient care
- Manage quality improvement activities of the facility including implementation of methods to standardize and/or improve processes
- Performs clinical duties relating to workload and specific procedures as required
Human Resources & Safety Management
- Establish and maintain appropriately skilled staff resources through effective recruitment and selection; staff scheduling to meet patient needs; coordination of staff orientation and development opportunities
- Demonstrate leadership through coaching, performance evaluations, and staff development to create a culture of learning and employee satisfaction
- Establishes and maintains a high level of staff performance through effective recruitment and selection; coordination of staff orientation and development opportunities; counseling and coaching staff on performance and disciplining including staff termination
- Prepares written performance appraisals identifying staff strengths and limitations in performance and provides guidance and suggestions to improve performance on a continuing basis
- Maintains focus on professional growth and development in relation to Clinic needs and specialty focus
- Facilitates the educational experience of students assigned to the clinical areas, and promotes staff involvement in clinical research trials and/or application of research findings to improve care/outcomes
- Plans for manpower planning needs including recruitment/retention and scheduling strategies. Ensures adequate daily coverage for maintenance of required standards of patient care
- Day to day supervision of staff
- Responsible for staffing coverage for all surgical days
- Will be responsible to plan and co-ordinate emergency activity
- Will be responsible for co-ordination of patient care in the OR and evacuation if necessary
- Initiates the development, implementation and evaluation of the organizational and departmental objectives, policies/procedures and standards of nursing practice and patient care
- Manages the operations, utilization and quality improvement activities of the Clinic. Develops and maintains and evaluates a framework for the efficient day to day operation of the nursing unit in order to facilitate the delivery of effective, efficient and safe patient care.
- Participates in the updating and/or implementation of approved corporate directives, and policies, procedures, guidelines or protocols. Participates in the development of clinical standards and ensures adherence to established clinical standards
- Formulates quality objectives, defines processes, develops indicators and implements methods to standardize and/or improve processes. Reviews outcomes and involves staff and physicians to determine any adjustments required
- Directs monitors, evaluates and reviews standards of practice for the Clinic to maintain quality patient care
- Develops, implements and maintains the Occupational Health and Safety Program in the Clinic. Ensures education of all staff with respect to safe working methods and procedures. Ensures accountability and correction in regard to violation of safety standards or instruction
- Identifies, documents and makes recommendations regarding a variety of issues including operating budget, workload, staff resources, minor and capital equipment purchases
- Manage and control expenditures against approved budgets in collaboration with senior management, identification of strategies to achieve budgetary efficiencies
- Reports significant variances to senior management and recommends strategies for deficit recovery.
Total Quality Management
- Ensures adherence to nursing standards
- Reviews policies and procedures on a regular basis with Medical Director, advises changes as necessary
- Assists with formulation of new policies
- Audits all completed charts for accuracy, completeness, etc.
- Ensures that Physicians’ orders have been signed
- Tags incomplete charts for signature by surgeon or anesthetist
- Tags any chart with complications for review at Medical Audit portion of TQM meeting
- Make a difference – Working closely with all facets of the organization, you will shape the service delivery platform, and have the ability to make the necessary changes that are required
- Limited bureaucracy – working closely with the Doctors, staff and patients, you will be able to influence change and work autonomously
- Flexibility and entrepreneurial spirit will be rewarded
- No shift work and weekends – this is a regular Monday to Friday environment that does not have any unplanned shift work
- “Family focused culture” and “high touch”
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop a platform that will leverage future growth in order to open additional OR rooms
- Establish policies and procedures that ensure operational excellence in the OR, in day to day management, and in patient care
- This flagship facility focuses on patient care and outcomes – put in place a model that can be replicated in other SCI facilities
- Know the organization’s contracts and confidently deliver on key requirements
- Build relationships and get buy in from the staff so that they will have confidence in you as a leader who will help grow the organization
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Graduation from an accredited Nursing Program
- Current and active registration in the RNABC, or eligible for registration
- Advanced preparation in OR and PAR nursing
- Perioperative and/or critical care/post-anesthesia recovery room nursing certification program an asset
- Basic Cardiac Life Support – Health Care Provider (BCLS-HCP); ACLS, PALS/ENCP an asset
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in OR/PAR nursing
- Previous supervisory experience of inter-professional staff is a requirement
Competencies and Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and leadership skills
- Self-directed and highly motivated
- Business process improvement mindset and experience
- Analytical, organizational, planning, teaching, decision making and financial management skills
- Ability to function effectively in dynamic situations
- Demonstrated conflict resolution and change management skills
- Demonstrated ability to keep up to date on trends and developments in the Ambulatory Surgery field.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ALUX-047747 Manager, Clinical & Administrative Services – Surgical Centres Inc - BC (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.