Manager, Client Solutions Design & Standards – Calgary Board of Education
The Calgary Board of Education(“CBE”) is one of Canada’s largest school system educating more than 121,000 students in over 245 schools and has responsibility for an annual budget of approximately $1.4B. More than 14,000 employees work together to provide learning as unique as every student.
The work is guided by a Three-Year Education Plan, which connects each CBE employee to student success. This creates an environment where each student can become an engaged learner, prepared for success in life, work and future learning.
The CBE is guided by an elected board of seven trustees. Trustees are elected every four years during the municipal election along with Calgary’s mayor and councilors. Day-to-day operations are led by a team of superintendents who are responsible for meeting the expectations of the Board of Trustees as set out in the Board’s Results policies and Operational Expectations.
Each student, in keeping with his or her individual abilities and gifts, will complete high school with a foundation of learning necessary to thrive in life, work and continued learning.
Students come first;
Learning is our central purpose;
Public education serves the common good.
For further information about Calgary Board of Education, please visit their website at http://www.cbe.ab.ca
Job Title: Manager, Client Solutions Design & Standards
Reports to: Director, Client Technology Services
Direct Reports: 20
Location: Calgary, AB
Reporting to the Director, Client Technology Services, the mandate of the role is to set the direction for client technology solutions standards at the Calgary Board of Education and then lead and manage staff engaged in designing and managing the lifecycle process for standard hardware, software and systems. The environment is large, diverse and complex with over 70,000 Windows, Mac and Chrome computers, as well as over 18,000 tablets and mobile devices.
This role is directly accountable for selection and evaluation of standard and exception client technology hardware and software, for use in all schools and service units and the transition of the standards into operations. In addition, the role is accountable for setting and then meeting, via the staff it leads, Operational Level Expectations for third level support escalations from other Information Technology teams in relation to the standard hardware and software.
Key areas of accountability include:
- Proposals/Contracts Management:
- Submissions for new and ongoing projects
- Manages vendor relationships and performance to contracts
- Responsible for maintaining the Approved for Purchase product list for Client Technology as well as the exception process.
- Client Support/Assessment:
- Proper and reliable identification of common client technology needs, and the evaluation, selection, configuration, documentation and transition to operations of hardware and software systems to meet those needs.
- Manages the relationship and operating level agreements with other CBE departments, including but not limited to remote and on site support teams, infrastructure support teams, education technology specialists, etc.
- Ensures a high degree of collaboration between the Solutions Design and Standards team, education technology specialists, other Client Technology Services and Information Technology Services teams to provide standard systems and configurations in schools and service units that meet the educational and business needs.
- Review and approve changes in regards to impacting business processes and standards as necessary to increase the efficiency and quality of service.
- Coordinates activities with other work sections in the department to avoid conflict and to ensure efficient information and work flow. Assigns support resources as required.
- Scope of client technology supported includes but is not limited to: in school servers, desktops, laptops, tablets, printers, mobile devices, projectors, displays and other network connected devices.
- Provides expertise in service design, configuration management and transition to operation practices. Remains familiar with industry standard management practices and methodologies adopted by the CBE. Researches and prepares reports, analyses, and/or presentations as required.
- Remains current in market trends in end user and educational technology products.
- Selects, recruits, hires and manages staff. Accountable for goal setting with staff. Conducts performance appraisals of subordinates and encourages/fosters ongoing staff development. Carries out disciplinary actions up to and including termination as appropriate and required. Establishes and enforces standards, procedures and quality control measures for permanent, contract and temporary personnel.
- Assesses skill and directs staff training to ensure effective utilization of staff skills/competencies and maintenance of expertise of current trends in technology to ensure continuance of quality support delivery.
- Providing effective, collaborative leadership, in conjunction with the Client Technology Services, Information Technology and Learning teams.
- Coordinates the allocation and work of the team to meet service level expectations and project commitments.
- Sets priorities and establishes overall timelines for team work. Ensures that work delegated to staff is completed. Monitors status and quality of work performed. Serves as a resource, assisting in the resolution of complex technical problems.
- This position is accountable for setting and meeting departmental goals, within a shared CTS and CBE vision, mission and values and for implementing appropriate change in conjunction with their team of Supervisors and staff.
- Collaboratively creates and manages the Client Solutions Design and Standards team’s objectives, business processes and procedures and strategy for short and long term direction.
- Accountable for the annual and project budget preparation.
- Prepares reports, analysis and summaries as required.
- Maintains connections with professional groups and peers in similar organizations.
- May perform the responsibilities of Director, Client Technology Support as assigned.
- Performs other related responsibilities as assigned.
- This position is also accountable for maintaining strict levels of confidentiality.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Demonstrate your ability to understand what’s technically possible to advance the CBE towards an enterprise management model.
- Provide a higher value for Client Technology Services to the organization
- Propose at least one initiative that significantly positively impacts the ability of Client Technology Services to support standard hardware or software.
- Align structure of the Client Technology Services team:
- Develop goals and directions and ensure a work-plan in place for the team.
- Assess roles and responsibilities and develop/update formalized job descriptions in efforts to support performance management and career growth opportunities.
- Develop and implement a structure for the identification, review and approval of Client Technology Hardware
- Get out to the schools and assess how technology is being used and deployed
- Assess stakeholders and ensure requirements are identified
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-Secondary Degree in Information Technology or related field
- ITIL certification
- CoBIT certification
- An equivalent combination of related post-secondary education and experience may be considered.
- 8 to 10 years’ experience in Information Technology client systems management area within medium to large scale environment.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience accountable for service design or transition to operations.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing server environments.
- Minimum of 3 years’ demonstrated success in a leadership role.
Competencies and Attributes
- Challenge the status quo
- Ability to influence and bring others along
- Promote change in support of improvement processes
- Demonstrated comfort with ambiguity and openness to change
- Strong desire to achieve and excel
- Demonstrated strong technical documentation skills
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively and collaborate in a team environment required
- Demonstrated analytical, research, negotiation and organizational skills
- Multi-disciplinary Project Management and/or IT Service Management Operational experience
- Experience in a large multi-site, unionized public or private sector organization
- Experience in establishing business partnerships and vendor negotiations
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ANBX-207358 Manager, Client Solutions Design & Standards – Calgary Board of Education - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.