Labour Relations Specialist – Badger Daylighting Ltd
Badger Daylighting Ltd™, (“Badger”) is North America’s leading provider of non-destructive hydrovac excavation services. For more than 25 years Badger has been committed to creatively solving client infrastructure needs and challenges by delivering a safe and reliable service. By way of innovative, cutting-edge technology Badger has provided services to a diverse range of customers including contractors, engineers, and facility owners in the oil and gas, power, municipal, transportation, industrial, and commercial construction industries.
Badger Daylighting is a publicly traded company, listed on the TSX (‘BAD’)
For more information on Badger see www.badgerinc.com.
Job Title: Labour Relations Specialist
Reports to: Vice President, Human Resources
Location: Calgary, AB
Reporting to the Vice President, Human Resources, the Labour Relations Specialist will oversee the interpretation of all collective bargaining agreements in both the US and Canada. The incumbent will assess and ensure that all agreements have been correctly vetted and interfaced with payroll processing. In addition, the Labour Relations Specialist may be involved in contract negotiations, administrative bargaining agreements, and administration of grievance procedures.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Assist in analyzing collective bargaining agreements and interpretation of intent, spirit and terms of contact in development and application of labour relations policies and practices
- Serve as subject matter expert providing direction to operations managers, senior leaders and the payroll department
- Acts as central warehouse for all union material; maintains database of all contracts and union correspondence, physical copies and digital ones on company intranet
- Supports the negotiation process by collecting information from HR systems and other sources as needed
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with various labour representatives and management
- Develop working knowledge of the terms of the labour contract to monitor the day-to-day implementation of policies concerning wages, hours and working conditions
- Provide direction on union area weekly time card process and payroll system set-up to ensure adherence to labour agreements
- Maintain and monitor all pay rules centrally and provide payroll department with updates and changes as required.
- Develop process to ensure adherence to US certified payroll and Davis-Bacon Act requirements as mandated by the US Department of Labour
- Work closely with payroll department to rectify any certified payroll issues ensuring that relationships with customers are maintained
- Corporate wide responsibility for leading the strategic and tactical labour relations program with operations in Canada and the United States
- Assist in the administration and interpretation of company policies & procedures, regulatory & legal requirements as well as collective agreements
- Educate payroll and field operations on labour and employee relations issues
- Encourage open communication between management and its employees to streamline collective agreement administration and to consistently manage union relationships
- Coordinate and monitor all negotiated work rules to ensure they are executed consistently per agreements.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Interpret collective agreements and union rules into payroll terms to ensure employees are being paid appropriately
- Consolidate and warehouse all union work rules centrally
- Train both regional and field leaders on each collective agreement and foster their understanding of consequences of non-compliance
- Build trust and credibility with the leadership group
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law, Labour Relations, or equivalent
- 3+ years interpreting in-depth contracts or collective agreements and providing the extracted content to the relevant departments
- Knowledge of certified payroll reporting – strong understanding of what payroll staff need to accomplish their objectives
- General understanding of HR functions including labour relations and federal and provincial/state laws including labour laws in both Canada and the US (including California)
- Knowledge of prevailing wages under the Davis Bacon Act, or union payroll experience
- Strong interpersonal skills, working with all levels of the organization including customers on complex and high-impact issues
Competencies and Attributes
- Advanced proficiency with contract comprehension and evaluation
- Proficient with ADP Workforce Now is considered an additional asset
- Proficient in Microsoft Office – Outlook, Word, Excel
- Must possess a high level of professionalism and maintain a high level of confidentiality at all times
- Must be extremely detail oriented and have an excellent ability to focus on the task on hand
- Must have the ability to meet deadlines with accurate work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must possess problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, working with all levels of the organization, including customers, on complex and high-impact issues
- Valid passport
- Ability to travel as required, 30-40% in the first year, reduced in following years
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AELC-371837 Labour Relations Specialist – Badger Daylighting Ltd - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.