Labour Relations Manager | ATCO Electric
ATCO Ltd. was founded in 1947 and is a publicly traded company on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: ACO) with a market capitalization of $4.8 billion and is headquartered in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
With approximately 6,200 employees and assets valued at $22 billion, ATCO is a diversified global corporation with investments in the essential services of:
- Structures & Logistics | workforce and residential housing, innovative modular facilities, construction, site support services, workforce lodging services, facility operations and maintenance, defense operations services, and disaster and emergency management services
- Utilities | electricity and natural gas transmission and distribution, and international electricity operations
- Energy Infrastructure | electricity generation, energy storage and industrial water solutions
- Retail Energy | electricity and natural gas retail sales
- Transportation | ports and transportation logistics
- Commercial Real Estate
For more information, please visit www.atco.com.
ATCO Electric, a business unit of Canadian Utilities Limited an ATCO Company (www.canadianutilities.com) delivers safe and reliable services to customers in all corners of Alberta, the Yukon and Northwest Territories. ATCO Electric owns and operates nearly half of Alberta’s integrated bulk transmission grid and their electric distribution services represent approximately 22% of Alberta’s total electrical distribution load. Over 1,200 employees working in this division are well-positioned to respond to customer service requests, maintain the reliability of our systems, and respond to emergencies.
ATCO Electric’s focus will be strategic investments that capture the key emerging trends of decarbonization, decentralization, digitalization, and evolving customer demand. With customers and policy makers looking for cleaner energy as well as affordability, safety, and reliability, ATCO Electric has an environment that requires maximizing their potential while simultaneously laying the groundwork for the utility of the future.
ATCO Electric is modernizing their grid to accommodate the proliferation of distributed energy resources (DERs), such as solar panels, battery storage, electric vehicles, and various forms of microgrids. This will ensure a sustainable, flexible grid and will enable a market for energy management services.
For further information about ATCO Electric, please visit their website at https://electric.atco.com/en-ca.html.
Vision: Delivering inspired solutions for a better world. Always there. Anywhere.
· We never break a promise
· We do the right thing
· We are transparent and respectful
· We are ethical
· We hold ourselves and each other accountable
· We seek to understand
· We care enough to challenge each other
· We celebrate our successes
· We care about communities
· We care about each other
· We stay relevant
· We are agile
· We innovate
· We challenge the status quo
· We reward action and learn from failure
· We are One ATCO
· We communicate openly
· We share our ideas and learn from our failures and successes
· We value and encourage diversity and different perspectives
· We work together to build bridges and strong networks
|Reports to:||Director, Human Resources|
|Direct Reports:||2, Labour Relations Advisor and Labour Relations Specialist|
|Location:||Edmonton, AB – in office 3 days a week and remote|
ATCO Electric is a business unit of Canadian Utilities Limited an ATCO Company with a focus on finding solutions to decarbonize and meet the world’s energy demands. ATCO Electric is undertaking a strategic transformation to create a smart grid that not only supplies energy to customers but also utilizes energy produced by the customer, from their own distributed energy resources.
Reporting to the Director, Human Resources, the Labour Relations Manager will lead a team of LR professionals responsible for providing expert consultation while supporting and influencing senior leadership on all matters related to Labour Relations: including the grievance and arbitration procedures, collective bargaining, dispute resolution, contract administration and interpretation, and association/management relations. Advice in these areas will be provided to all levels of management and internal HR practitioners. This position will be required to provide specialist advice on labour relations matters to human resources practitioners, clients, and senior executives. The incumbent will also work with the Labour Relations COE to identify opportunities to integrate corporate wide initiatives that may impact the Electricity Global Business Unit. The Manager, Labour Relations would be someone who shares our core values of integrity, excellence, respect, and creativity while challenging status quo and owning the relationship with the union partners.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Lead a team of labour relations professionals responsible for collective agreement interpretation, final level grievances, mediation/adjudication, policy development and application, union consultation and support to collective bargaining;
- Contributes to the establishment, implementation and evaluation of Human Resources and Labour Relations policies, procedures, systems, programs, and strategies. Responsible to identify if there is a need to modify a policy/procedure to ensure compliance with the collective agreement;
- Participates in the full cycle collective bargaining process including ensuring mandate preparation, the research and development of bargaining proposals, contract negotiations, support to interest arbitration as needed and assists with the execution and implementation of post bargaining activities;
- Participates in and supports Labour Relations and Human Resources projects and initiatives as required;
- Provides support to senior management and participates by providing input into the strategic direction of labour relations within the company; and
- Support broader organizational activities and projects that require labour and employee relations expertise, including but not limited to policy development, input to HR programs, and training initiatives.
Grievances and Arbitration:
- Establishes strategy and executes all aspects of grievance, arbitration and human rights proceedings and legal case management as it pertains to the Labour Relations function;
- Ensures company compliance with timeline expectations;
- Evaluates grievances to advise management and HR practitioners on the process, risks and recommended course(s) of action;
- Provides guidance to management on the risks/impacts of their decisions from a Labour Relations perspective; and
- Works closely with legal counsel on preparing for arbitration which includes compiling, analyzing and summarizing grievance documentation for legal review and presentation.
Internal and External Relations:
- Represent the organization in settings, both formal and informal, that require engagement, consultation, and negotiations with union representatives;
- Provides advice and consultation to HR practitioners and management on employee and labour/employee relations, dispute resolution, discipline, terminations, and performance management; and
- Works with legal counsel on securing the necessary legal framework and opinions for employee and labour relations situations.
First Year Deliverables / Measures of Success
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build trusting, open, collaborative and respectful relationships throughout the organization with employees and leaders;
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the stakeholder environment, current strategy and the human resource needs now and into the future;
- Establish key deliverables on the Labour Relations strategy; and
- Develop a strong, trusting, and collaborative relationships with union representatives to meet ATCO Electric’s future talent needs.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- A degree in Business Commerce, Human Resources, or Labour Relations related discipline. A Labour Relations Professional Certification and a Chartered Professional in Human Resource designation is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive experience in a Leadership role within Human Resources and Labour Relations
- Recent experience in providing strategic advice to senior management on complex labour relations matters in both an operations and corporate context.
- Experience working through bargaining and negotiation processes, grievances, arbitration preparation and presentation.
- Experience with collective agreement interpretation, employee relations issues, human rights, and performance management and labour practices.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Ability to engage, manage difficult conversations and influence outcomes while maintaining strong trusting relationships;
- Ability to role-model collaborative leadership skills and work effectively in a dynamic environment while managing multiple client demands and priorities;
- Sound problem solving, decision-making, and project management skills and experience;
- Industrial or Utility industry experience in a large size organization as well as working in a multi-agreement or multi-union environment would be considered an asset;
- Strong relationship building and conflict resolution skills with a customer service focus;
- Ability to engage and influence outcomes;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including, written, verbal and presentation;
- Demonstrates sound judgment and decision making;
- Ability to interact with all levels of management;
- Innovative and creative with new ideas; and
- Ability to travel as required.
ATCO Electric is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse team benefits and is essential to service excellence. ATCO Electric welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. In accordance with the provincial legislation, accommodation will be provided by Gallagher and ATCO Electric throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AKLL-733087 Labour Relations Manager | ATCO Electric - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.