Human Resources Manager – Finning International Ltd.
Finning is the world’s largest Caterpillar dealer delivering unrivalled service for over 85 years. We sell, rent and provide parts and service for equipment and engines to customers in various industries, including mining, construction, petroleum, forestry and a wide range of power systems applications
Finning is the world’s largest Caterpillar dealer delivering unrivalled service for over 85 years. The company sells, rents and provides parts and service for equipment and engines to customers in various industries, including mining, construction, petroleum, forestry and a wide range of power systems applications. Data analytics help operators understand how their machines are being used, and once this data is analyzed it can lead to reduced maintenance, a better understanding of performance and overall improved efficiencies. Finning employs approximately 13,000 people world-wide and operates in three geographies (Canada, UK & Ireland and South America), with the global head office in Vancouver, Canada. Revenues in 2021 were $6,196M (CAD).
Finning’s customer-centric growth strategy is based on three pillars, Develop, Perform, and Innovate, which provide a strong foundation for the Company’s five Global Strategic Priorities and are summarized below:
- Customer Centric: Be our customers’ trusted partner by providing consistent and innovative services that add value to their business.
- Lean & Agile Global Finning: Maintain relentless focus on productivity, efficiency, and our customers’ total cost of equipment ownership.
- Global Supply Chain: Transform our globally leveraged supply chain to enhance the omni-channel customer experience while increasing working capital efficiencies and generation of free cash flow.
- Digital Enterprise: Advance the use of technology to improve our customers’ experience, enable data-driven decisions, and reduce cost to serve.
- Growth & Diversification: Achieve profitable and capital efficient growth.
All regions are committed to delivering the strategy by focusing on these Global Strategic Priorities.
For more information please visit: https://www.finning.com/en_CA.html
Job Title: Human Resources Manager
Reports to: Director of Human Resources
Director Reports: 3 (2) HR Business Partners (1) Coordinator
Location: Calgary AB, Edmonton AB, or Vancouver BC
Reporting to the Director of Global Human Resources Services, the Human Resource Manager will provide HR leadership and expertise in support of Finning’s mission, vision, and values. This role works closely with the Digital, IT and Operational Excellence business leaders to understand the business strategies and translate them into actionable HR strategies that drive business success for the organization. The HR Manager is responsible for proactively identifying organizational needs and developing, delivering, monitoring the effectiveness of human resource initiatives in order to build organizational capacity and create competitive business advantage for the organization.
Business Partnership/ Customer Services
- Collaborate and work proactively with global business leaders, including senior management and individual executives, in the areas of operating model and organizational design, annual workforce planning, succession planning, talent management and leadership coaching
- Partner closely with the Global Centers of Excellence (COE) to develop and implement human resources strategies, practices, processes, and programs that align to strategic goals and business priorities
- Focuses on the future state by understanding trends and changes in business environment through understanding how to forecast and anticipate business needs corresponding to HR actions
- Be recognized as a trusted business partner to Finning leadership and provide council on HR, workforce, organizational design and leadership matters and issues
- Monitor and advise on legislative and/or corporate policy issues in HR matters
- Ensure compliance and provide guidance related to regulatory requirements
- Work closely with the Human Resources team and Finning’s leadership teams to identify organizational needs for the purpose of defining and delivering HR strategies
- Partner with Finning leadership to identify high potential employees and design succession plans for key talent, in addition to assisting leaders in developing Career Development Plants with their employees
- Facilitate and drive organizational change initiatives by working with the leadership teams to meet organizational goals
- Develop an integrated set of policies, programs, procedures, and practices to facilitate corporate strategies and objectives as they relate to the positions specific areas of responsibility
- Identify and evaluate changes in industry practices and business trends and capitalizes on opportunities that will improve the Company’s competitive advantage
- Participate in the setting of department performance targets and objectives
- Develop and foster the organization’s culture to build the climate for success
- Manage and lead the HR Business Partner team by providing them with counsel, coaching and guidance on all HR activities including employee relations, talent acquisition, talent management, ability management and compensation and total rewards management
- Develop and ensure the team is a trusted group of business partners with their business leaders and people
- Serve as a Project Manager on assigned projects, effectively manage resources (people, budget and time) to achieve deadlines while delivering high-quality programs
Human Resources Programs
- Provide direction, guidance, and assistance in the successful execution of annual HR programs across Finning including compensation, planning, performance management and talent review
- Develop and direct administration of HR programs within assigned departments/ business unit(s) and/ or areas of expertise
- Identifies opportunities for education and communication with Finning’s people (e.g. presentations, project rollouts etc.)
- Provide feedback for the COE’s regarding the effectiveness of programs and products
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build trusting relationships with the Global HR team and the customers you support while thoughtfully integrating into the organizations culture
- Learn the intricacies of the business including strengths and gaps across various groups globally
- Learn the annual cycles in HR in addition to an in depth understanding of Workday (the HRIS)
- Develop a deep knowledge of the Finning business to more effectively support business leaders
- Work closely with the HR leadership team and Digital, IT and Operational Excellence groups to continue developing and delivering HR strategies aligning with the goals of the organization
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary education in human resources management, or a related field
- HR designation (CPHR)
- 10+ or more years of working with complex organizations and professional-level Human Resource generalist experience
- Previous experience working in a global organization
- 5 years of HR leadership experience with operations, manufacturing, oilfield/ oil and gas, or technology
- Proven experience working and collaborating with senior business leaders in a consultative capacity, demonstrative strong analytical capabilities
- Strong analytical skill and an ability to identify trends and patterns of behaviour
- Strong partnering, communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to influence at all levels
- Excellent analytical, risk assessment and problem-solving skills which include quickly identifying core issues and making effective decisions
- High proficiency in business applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, OneDrive, SharePoint) and comfortable navigating in HRIS. Experience with Workday is an asset
- An approachable, open and consultative leadership style that invites coaching and mentoring from their team and key stakeholders
- Collaborative, responsive and service-oriented approach and proven ability to immediately establish credibility and able to influence change. Demonstrates a strong sense of urgency
- A self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity and able to work in an environment without clearly established boundaries. Creative, thinks outside the box
- Proactive, flexible and comfortable in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment, which demands a high level of energy and commitment
- Strong alternative dispute and conflict resolution skills to encourage resolution at the lowest level
- Strong focus on continuous improvement ideas and initiatives to drive positive change
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work autonomously, while remaining aligned with HR strategy
- The ability to speak Spanish would be considered an asset
- A strong understanding of how to help develop operating models and the flow through to organizational design is critical
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of l employment laws, regulations, procedures and standards in Canada
- Proven experience in designing and facilitating effective HR programs as well as managing projects through to implementation
- Strong understanding of change management methodologies
- Strong understanding of project management approaches and techniques
- Proven experience in leading and managing the investigation process
- Understanding of Lean methodologies and continuous improvement fundamentals
- Thorough understanding of ability management and return to work practices and programs (STD, LTD, WCB)
- Responsible for staff performance contributions as they relate to achieving organizational results
- Responsible for developing a work climate that inspires confidence, learning and constant improvement in an empowering and stable work environment
- Responsible to conduct thorough and effective investigations regarding potential employee misconduct
- Responsible to create a culture of diversity and inclusion through demonstrating desired behaviours and training and development of management and employees
- Customer Focus: Being successful means continuously paying attention to customer needs and adapting as these evolve. This heightens the importance of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer centric solutions
- Commercial Mindset: Understanding the business and paying attention to business problems (complex and less complex) from all angles. Applying knowledge of the business and marketplace to negotiate and structure interactions. Not only understanding key financial and commercial fundamentals, but more importantly how to incorporate a commercial thinking mindset into every major decision made
- Decision Quality: Good decisions are based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement Making quality decisions while working in an environment where ambiguity and uncertainty are the norm
- Cultivates Innovation: Paying attention to what customers want and need – new and improved products, services, solutions, and experiences. Taking initiative and collaborating with people who have diverse points of view. Embrace the mindset you and Finning are never done, never satisfied, never standing still
- Drives Results: Infusing the team and organizations with a sense of urgency. Creating a culture where organizational performance is always top of mind. Communicating a vision, setting priorities, developing and executing plans that achieve the desired outcome for Finning
- Develops Talent: Developing the team to meet both their career goals and Finning’s goals. Creating pools of people ready and willing to take on new challenges and step up when needed
- Situational Adaptability: Paying attention to circumstance and adjusting accordingly. Being able to recognize the need to be flexible and act different because no two situations are exactly alike. The outcome will be ease of transaction and effectiveness of interaction
- Courage: Being comfortable with the conflict that is inherent to being a champion of an idea or course of action. Meeting tough situations head-on to constructively resolve them. Saying what needs to be said at the right time, to the right person, in the right manner to effect change
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:ANSU-558440 Human Resources Manager – Finning International Ltd. - AB - Calgary and AreaAB - Edmonton and AreaBC - Vancouver and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.