Geotechnical Engineer- Copperstone Technologies
Copperstone Technologies (“Copperstone”) is an Edmonton based engineering firm specializing in the production of HELIX, an amphibious robot developed for environmental monitoring. HELIX is used to measure geotechnical parameters of mine waste tailings ponds, collect samples, and to conduct bathymetric surveys.
HELIX was originally built for mining operations in Northern Canada, some of the harshest conditions in the world. Inspired by designs of the past, we modernized the screw-drive concept and focused on solving the challenge of traffic-ability, safety and remote operations.
Copperstone believes in the following set of principals:
- We put people first
- We think yes before no
- We believe there is a solution and we will find it
- We always strive to do the right thing, especially when it is difficult
- We think numbers matter: accuracy, action, and accountability
The team at Copperstone believes that robots can enable humans to reach further, tread lighter, and stay safer by harnessing the potential that exists at the intersection of autonomous vehicles, artificial intelligence, the environment, and the industrial IOT.
For more information about Copperstone Technologies, please visit their website: www.copperstonetech.com.
Job Title: Geotechnical Engineer
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Edmonton, AB
The Geotechnical Engineer will work closely with various Copperstone teams to support delivery of robotic-enabled field services to clients. The Geotechnical Engineer must have a deep understanding of tailings storage facilities management and practical field experience. To succeed in the role, the Geotechnical Engineer needs to be a motivated, enthusiastic team member with a commitment to safety, quality, and success as a team.
The Geotechnical Engineer will focus on providing insight and analysis of collected data, inform the decision on defining the system of automation requirements, sensor selection and perform field trials. The Geotechnical Engineer will also be tasked with pushing robots to their limits in the field.
- Preparing geotechnical engineering proposals, statement of qualifications and budget submissions for a variety of projects
- Conduct geotechnical sampling and analyses of collected data using HELIX for site access
- Perform site inspections, interpretation of instrumentation readings, and assess field test results
- Preparation of technical documents to meet regulatory and client requirements and internal communications
- Up to 50% travel as required for various field programs across Alberta and British Columbia, future travel will include international field programs
- Coordinate, manage, and track the arrival of all material to sites
- Review new product concepts for applicability to the actual conditions encountered in the field
- Suggest new methods for robotic deployment of geotechnical tools and make recommendations for improvements in design and field maintenance of HELIX
- Develops and produces weekly reporting for the CEO and President’s review on a weekly basis with an emphasis on quality, accuracy, and timeliness
- Accountable for the development, maintenance and adherence to safety policies and procedures
- Act as a dedicated partner, committed to growth for Copperstone’s field team and manage the increased employee headcount and proactive recruitment
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Build Copperstone’s field credibility across the provinces and act as a well-respected representative for the organization with new and existing clients
- Establish best in class field safety policies and procedures that align with client expectations
- Act as an innovation conduit for the business by seeking client feedback and injecting those suggestions into tangible program alterations to enrich the services provided by Copperstone currently and in the future
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Geological, or Geotechnical Engineering or equivalent
- Master’s degree would be considered an asset
- Eligible for the Association of Professional Engineers & Geoscientists of Alberta (“APEGA”) registration
- Valid class 5 driver’s license
- Minimum of 3 years’ field experience in mine waste tailings management or field investigations
- Strong understanding of geotechnical engineering, engineering geology, and mine water issues
- Expertise in geotechnical laboratory testing and interpretation of strength, consolidation, pore pressure, composition, and settlement testing
- Experience with CAD programs (i.e.: Solidworks, etc.) will be considered an asset
- Experience with contaminated land investigation and reporting processes
Competencies and Attributes
- Highly motivated, growth focused professional with an entrepreneurial spirit and positive attitude
- Executes upon subject matter expertise to assist clients in solution generation for their needs
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and manage multiple ongoing projects, and can work in field conditions for product testing and on-site operations, including client-facing work
- Able to identify and assess technology development opportunities
- Facilitates open and effective communication among stakeholder groups to gain alignment on the best path forward
- Exhibits strong interpersonal skills and teamwork focused attitude, both internally and externally
- Innovative, creative, and comfortable with the development and roll out of new ideas that can help grow the business
- Flexible in thought process with a desire to always find the best, most client focused solution
- Demonstrates character and dependability by following through on ideas and deliverables
- Effective decision-maker, with well-rounded problem-solving ability
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AGDW-473744 Geotechnical Engineer- Copperstone Technologies - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.