General Manager, Drilling and Production Services Canada – Tervita Corporation
Founded in 1984 and headquartered in Calgary, Canada, Tervita is one of the largest environmentally focused midstream and waste management service providers in North America with over 1,700 employees, revenues of over $1 billion and EBITDA of over $200 million. Primarily serving the oil and gas industry, as well as the industrial and natural resource sectors, predominantly in Western Canada, Tervita has achieved significant growth in scale and scope through its transformation into an integrated service provider of energy related environmental solutions and is well positioned to capture incremental market share through a meaningful and aggressive future growth strategy.
Tervita provides a broad and integrated array of services and environmental management solutions to its customers including treatment of waste materials, recovery of valuable products, such as skim oil and scrap metal, disposal of liquids and solid materials, engineered landfill construction, waste management and field services, oil treatment and terminalling, energy marketing services, metals recycling and train derailment response and clean-up services, equipment rentals, demolition services, and decommissioning services. The Company has built a network of more than 70 modern waste processing, disposal and industrial facilities, including 24 treating, recovery and disposal facilities, six salt water disposal wells, two cavern disposal facilities, 20 engineered landfills, seven transfer stations, 12 bioremediation facilities and four metals recycling facilities, as well as a fleet of specialized equipment and assets servicing the oil, gas and industrial sectors. The asset base is strategically located within close proximity to major areas of oil and gas production in the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin (“WCSB”) and Tervita leverages this network to provide bundled services to customers with a focus on midstream services and complementary upstream and downstream field services.
Tervita seeks to be the leading provider of integrated environmental and waste handling services in Western Canada and intends to achieve this goal by continuing to benefit from its infrastructure and operational excellence driven business model, enhancing its commercial and customer centric approach, and pursuing significant growth avenues through both organic means and acquisition opportunities.
On July 19, 2018, Tervita announced the successful close of its merger transaction with Newalta, creating one of the leading energy-focused waste and environment services companies in Canada. Tervita Corporation began trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol TEV on July 24, 2018 after the successful merger of Tervita and Newalta.
Tervita’s Competitive Strengths
- Leading infrastructure footprint in all major WCSB fields. Tervita is one of the largest providers of oilfield waste management and environmental remediation solutions in the WCSB and is able to meet the environmental service needs of energy producers through the entire development cycle, including exploration, completion, production and reclamation. Tervita has the ability to accept waste streams produced from oil or gas wells without having to reconfigure facilities or make significant capital expenditures
- Integrated midstream infrastructure provides services across the oilfield life cycle value chain. Tervita offers an integrated hub and spoke service model that allows the company to leverage its existing locations and infrastructure to expand services and capabilities throughout its network, with relatively small capital investments required. Tervita’s infrastructure of more than 70 facilities and customized, bundled service offerings support strategic and enduring relationships with key customers
- Diverse customer base helps reduce cash flow cyclicality. Tervita currently provides solutions to over 1,500 customers, ranging from small independent exploration and production operators to large multinational corporations, including oil and gas majors. Tervita’s ability to enter into both short-term and multi-year contractual relationships allows it to meet customer needs and benefit from long-term relationships, while simultaneously optimizing utilization at its facilities in the near term
- Strengthened financial and operating structure. Tervita has utilized the commodity downturn over the past two years to reorganize its operations, centralize key support services, and align its operating capacity to achieve a significant reduction of its cost structure and support future business growth. Moving forward, Tervita anticipates having significant flexibility to deploy an appropriate amount of capital to maintain its facilities, invest into expansion, and grow its operations
- Right-sized and stronger balance sheet. The recent recapitalization of Tervita resulted in the reduction of indebtedness by ~$2 billion and annual interest costs by as much as 80%, significantly deleveraging Tervita’s balance sheet and improving its capital structure and liquidity. The recap gives the company the flexibility and working capital necessary to take full advantage of new opportunities for growth
For further information about Tervita Corporation, please visit http://www.tervita.com/
Job Title: General Manager, Drilling and Production Services Canada
Reports to: Vice President, Drilling and Production Services
Location: Calgary, AB
The General Manager, Drilling and Production Services Canada, reporting to the VP Drilling and Production Services is responsible to lead and develop Tervita’s Canadian Drilling and Production Services product lines. The General Manager is responsible for the direct leadership of operational leaders (regional or product line Managers), sales, finance, and administration.
The position will include the following responsibilities:
- Involved in the development of the corporate plans, priorities, policies and procedures. Develops the Business Units’ Plan within the scope and objectives of corporate plans
- Responsible to develop and build Business Units’ business strategy and plans with a 18 month to 3-year focused vision aligned to divisional and organizational strategy
- Forecasts and strategizes the execution of the year’s business plans, involves and engages corporate functional groups to ensure Business Plan alignment and synergies
- Focused on identifying and pursuing opportunities to expand the business, enhance competitive position and brand Tervita as leaders in industry
Business Planning & Delivery
- Strategize and develop business plans to optimize existing investments and identify new investment opportunities
- Develops and defines a Capital Investment Programs aligned with Business Units’ plans and organizational strategy focused on sustainment, growth and process improvement for each respective business unit consistent and aligned to achieving the 3-year Regional Business Plan
- Accountable for developing and deliver of annual business plans and strategy, focused on optimization of rate of return for the annual performance and delivery of business plans objectives for the Business Unit
- Approve, identify and allocate appropriate resources to meet and drive business plans (includes staffing, investment and equipment)
- Looks for opportunities to leverage Tervita’s existing infrastructure to further Business Strategy and Plan
- Provides direction and leadership to a team of operational leaders on all aspects of operations, including technical and financial management; ensuring all resources, expenses and talent are supported to achieve cost- effective and high-performance operations
- Engages and facilitates corporate functional groups in the execution and delivery of Business Plan
- Ensures operational teams are in compliance with Safety Standards, Tervita policies and procedures
- Accountable for accurate and timely reporting (financial, regulatory and safety) and overall Business Unit financial performance(P&L)
- Actively seeks out opportunities to improve and to advance technical development in Business Units’- cultivates a culture of continuous improvement and innovation
- Provides leadership and direction on the execution and implementation of the Business Plan, accountable for results as per business plan
- Lead the development of Business Unit Standards
- Direct the roll-out and implementation of new standards, policies, procedures. Ensure on-going compliance there within
- Lead the safety culture with a “no compromise to safety” approach. Mentor Business Unit and support function leaders
- Adhere to and champion the implementation of all Tervita safety policies and procedures
- Conduct safety audits on site visits
- Coordinate and communicate effectively with the Safety Department. Liaise with the members of the safety team and maintain an ongoing collaborative relationship
- The successful candidate will have the opportunity to shape and influence strategy for a growth-oriented organization
- Ability to identify and develop new business and investment opportunities to increase short and long-term revenue generation for the business unit
- Work in a highly collaborative corporate environment with the opportunity to grow and develop an high-performing team to support growth
- Work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Play a key role in the development of a multi-year strategic plan
- Ensure financial performance is being seen through Q3 of 2020 by lead a high-performing team through the execution of these strategic plans
- Demonstrate your ability to manage costs effectively and identify and address issues going forward
- Ensure standards and expectations are met for Tervita’s leadership culture, operational and safety performance
- Champion Tervita’s Vision and Values
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Post-secondary Education in Business or Engineering preferred
- 10+ years’ experience in a management or business development role
- Experience with sales development and operations in a waste management, oilfield, or relevant service industry (i.e. drilling and completions fluid management)
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing forward looking operational, project, and sales plans
- Strong project management experience, managing large capital projects from start to finish
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead, mentor and motivate leaders
- Demonstrated success in leading Environmental, Health and Safety systems and programs
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office and reporting systems (ex. D365)
Competencies and Attributes
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple business functions
- Customer-centric focus
- Strong financial and business acumen (ex. business plans, Profit and Loss Statements, budgets, forecasting, optimization of assets, etc.).
- Ability to develop and execute strategic sales plans including coordination of commercial and technical service resources.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to negotiate and administer sales/purchase contracts, including overseeing each sale to ensure it adheres to all agreed terms & conditions
- Strong influencing and stakeholder engagement skills
- Proven ability to analyze complex operational issues, identifying and implementing appropriate solutions that bring the most value
- Ability to communicate thoughts and ideas to all levels in the organization (ex. Operators, Customers, Leaders, Executives)
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Must be willing to work with and be involved with the surrounding community
- Understanding and compliance with regulatory and Tervita guidelines for the collection of materials
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: email@example.com
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AFSL-371008 General Manager, Drilling and Production Services Canada – Tervita Corporation - AB - Calgary and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.