General Manager – Belvedere Golf & Country Club
The Belvedere Golf and Country Club (“the Club”) was constructed in the early 1960’s by local golf enthusiasts, some of whom remain active members. From the outset, golf was the catalyst for camaraderie which drove the development and growth of the Club. 1981 saw the launch of major course improvements, with storage ponds constructed to promote a continuous supply of water for the irrigation system and several holes redesigned to improve both playability and appearance.
In keeping with current golf course design trends, the Club retained the services of a course design expert in 1993. In 2001, a Long-Range Planning Committee was established to ensure the ongoing improvements required to meet and manage member expectations. In 2005, the Club retained the services of Golf Course Architect Ted Locke who provided an ambitious Course Development Plan that will guide improvements in the years to come.
Celebration of the Belvedere’s 50th Anniversary in 2011 was followed by completion of a newly renovated $3.4 million clubhouse in 2014. The Belvedere has evolved from a dream of a few golf enthusiasts into a Premier Private Club.
Located close to both Edmonton and Sherwood Park, a mile south of the intersection of Provincial highways 14 and 21, the Belvedere Golf & Country Club occupies 160 acres of tree-lined rolling landscape framed by trees and a variety of challenges over 18 pristine holes. Score Magazine ranks Belvedere one of the Top 100 Courses in Canada.
For further information please visit their website at: https://www.belvederegcc.com/
Job Title: General Manager
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: Five (5):
- Financial Controller
- Head Professional
- Head Superintendent
- Front of House Supervisor
- Head Chef
Indirect Reports: 97
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
With excellent course conditions and new facilities, Belvedere is in a great position to introduce programs and market new capabilities for both its members and external organizations. The Club is looking for an energetic and dynamic General Manager who possesses outstanding leadership skills to provide direction for the golf club while coaching and mentoring the staff and building an energetic and cohesive team.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for customer service and help build a culture that provides an outstanding experience to a diverse membership who view the Club as “a home away from home”. The successful candidate will have strong business acumen, financial budgeting and reporting, along with a passion for providing best in class service to its members and guests. The General Manager understands that this is a seasonal industry and will thrive in a fast-moving and ever-changing environment.
The Board of Directors is seeking an individual who is willing to have fun every day yet brings a strategic mindset to create and implement plans for the continued growth and development of the Club.
- Engage with the board in annual and long-term strategic planning with responsibility for the development of a 3-5 year business/operational plan;
- Market and promote the Club throughout the community, golf industry and to current and prospective members;
- Keep apprised of industry trends to ensure the Club remains competitive;
- Support the development of a membership retention and growth strategy; and
- Ensure financial accountability and ongoing financial sustainability of the organization.
- Actively engage with the membership to ensure the delivery of consistent, outstanding service that meets or exceeds member expectations;
- Proactively seek opportunities to provide or add value to current and prospective members;
- Grow the membership by demonstrating Belvedere’s value proposition to prospective members; and
- Ensure regular communication with members including the development of a mechanism to record member feedback to ensure the Club is operating in alignment with member expectations.
- Build and motivate a team of dynamic, energetic and engaged leaders who work collaboratively to achieve results;
- Provide leadership and mentorship to direct reports through establishing, implementing and monitoring goals and metrics;
- Establish succession planning and continuous growth opportunities to ensure appropriate internal capacity and leadership development; and
- Champion a positive culture that enables the team to deliver ongoing, exceptional member service.
- Establish the highest standards for food, beverage, course maintenance & playability, and member services;
- Provide oversight and management of the day-to-day operations and financial performance of the Club;
- Oversee the care and maintenance of the Club’s physical assets and facilities;
- Leverage the Club’s existing assets to create additional revenue streams including exploring off-season opportunities;
- In collaboration with the Food & Beverage team, create an innovative and dynamic program that enriches the member dining experience;
- Oversee the planning and execution of member and private functions within the Clubhouse; and
- Work with the leadership team to deliver a cost effective, comprehensive package for every event, function and tournament.
- Maintain open, and transparent communication with the board;
- Support and enable the effectiveness of the board and elevate their function to that of a governance oversight body;
- Report regularly to the board on strategic plan execution, financial performance and risk management; and
- Provide leadership in recommending policy on the overall operations of the Club.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Support the Board in moving away from being operational and into a governance function;
- Develop strong, trusting relationships with the membership and implement a plan to increase member satisfaction;
- Maintain the membership base and develop a strategy to grow the membership;
- Champion a positive, engaged, collaborative internal culture modelling a commitment to the delivery of exceptional customer service;
- In collaboration with the Board, ensure the development of a long-range strategic plan that creatively leverages the Club’s assets, creates long term financial sustainability and sets a successful roadmap for the 2020 season.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Undergraduate degree in business or related discipline.
- Minimum 10 years progressive leadership experience;
- Proven track record of success creating ongoing financial sustainability;
- Previous leadership experience within the hospitality industry or a membership driven or golf club setting would be an asset.
Competencies and Attributes
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Possesses exceptional financial and business acumen to ensure the ongoing viability of the organization;
- Excellent listening skills balanced with an ability to challenge constructively and stimulate the thinking of others;
- Personable disposition and proven record of building highly effective, collaborative teams;
- Ability to engage a broad base of stakeholders, establishing genuine and authentic connections and networks;
- A creative thinker who demonstrates flexibility, openness to new ideas and a willingness to explore multiple possibilities;
- Ability to analyze both internal and external environments in order to identify current and future opportunities, challenges, and possible risks to the organization’s long-term viability;
- Ability to utilize available information, interpret emerging trends, transfer knowledge to colleagues, and implement actions supported by data;
- A confident decision maker, taking action supported by logic, and fact or documented conclusions and opinions;
- Knowledgeable of best practices and performance metrics related to the industry;
- Models servant leadership and an outstanding work ethic, inspired by a passion to serve others;
- Values ethical behavior, authenticity, and accountability;
- Possesses the highest standards of personal and professional integrity;
- Strategic, proactive and forward thinking;
- Ability to thrive both at a high level and in the details, having exceptional project management skills; and
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ever changing environment demonstrating change management leadership;
- A motivated leader who demonstrates individual drive, a bias to action, and a commitment to achieving exceptional results; and
- A positive, down to earth demeanor with a great sense of humour, a passion for health, wellness and golf!
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:A015720 (ANXI-702503) General Manager – Belvedere Golf & Country Club - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.