General Manager – Alberta Milk
Established in 2002, Alberta Milk is a non-profit farmer driven organization guided by a Board of directors and delegates, of which all are dairy farmers. Alberta Milk is solely funded by Alberta’s dairy producers. Alberta Milk supports dairy farmers in their work to produce safe, nutritious food in an economically, socially and environmentally sustainable way.
Producing 8.2% of all milk in Canada, Alberta is the fourth largest contributor to meeting the national demand for dairy products. Under the authority of the Marketing of Agricultural Products Act of Alberta, Alberta Milk was established through the approval of the Alberta Milk Plan Regulation. Alberta Milk is supervised by the Agricultural Products Marketing Council (appointed by the Government of Alberta) and undertakes a variety of activities which represent the interests of Alberta’s dairy producers. Alberta Milk strives to provide dairy producers with accurate, timely and balanced industry information and strives to leverage funding for research, new initiatives and nutrition education. The organization is responsible for the development of dairy policy, quota administration, transportation of raw milk, processor bill and producer payment, marketing, and production research.
Mission | Alberta Milk partners with industry stakeholders to ensure a growing, sustainable and market focused industry based on an effective supply management system.
Vision | Growing a sustainable dairy industry by being a trusted source of quality milk.
Values |Ethical Practice; Accountability; Effective Communication; and Creative and Proactive Approach
For more information, please visit www.albertamilk.com
Job Title: General Manager
Reports to: Board of Directors
Direct Reports: 4 (Four)
- Member Services Manager
- Finance and Policy Manager
- Corporate Services Manager
- Communications Specialist
Indirect Reports: 20
Location: Edmonton, AB
Reporting to the Alberta Milk Board of Directors, the General Manager is the external face of the organization representing Alberta dairy producers to processors, industry partners and government (provincial and national). The successful candidate will continue to champion a strategic and collaborative approach to achieving industry goals for Canadian dairy production.
The General Manager will work in collaboration with the Board of Directors to develop the overall strategy for the organization and is responsible for providing overall leadership to the organization to achieve the goals of Alberta Milk. The organization seeks to attract highly motivated individuals who want to work as a team and share in the commitment, responsibility, risk taking, and discipline required to achieve their vision of growing a sustainable dairy industry by being a trusted source of quality milk. Built on a foundation of responsibility and mutual respect, the General Manager will champion an environment that encourages creativity and achievement and a culture that promotes uniqueness and a passion for action.
- Engage with the Board in annual and long-term strategic planning with responsibility for the implementation of long-range objectives;
- Ensure strategic priorities are met; and
- Ensure financial accountability and effective stewardship of Alberta Milk.
- Gain a deep understanding of how to determine the motivations of stakeholders in order to build strategies that create positive progress in influencing behaviors and perspectives, all while demonstrating a talent for discretion, tact and precision when speaking and writing;
- Represent Alberta Milk at senior level meetings and with other organizations as required;
- Consult on issues for policy development relative to the position of Alberta Milk;
- Actively engage with stakeholders in the agriculture and dairy industry in Alberta and nationally (ie. Western Milk Pool, Dairy Farmers of Canada, provincial partners, processors, government etc.) to ensure those relationships are strong, trusted and collaborative;
- Represent Alberta Milk at community events to enhance the organization’s community profile;
- Act as spokesperson for Alberta Milk for media enquiries/stories related to the industry;
- Ensure the Association meets or exceeds the expectations of its clients (Dairy Producers);
- Proactively seek opportunities to add value to Dairy Producers; and
- Ensure that formal partnerships are established that align with and further the mission of Alberta Milk.
Governance and Board Support:
- Maintain a trusting, open and respectful relationship with the Board;
- Support and enable the effectiveness of the Board by actioning directives/decisions made at the Board level;
- Understand and operate within the established governance model;
- Provide advice on policy and governance as requested by the Board;
- Participate in all Board Meetings, Executive Committee Meetings, and, if requested, standing Committee Meetings;
- Report regularly to the Board on strategic plan execution, financial performance and risk management;
- Accountable for the preparation of all Board reports and materials; and
- Provide leadership in recommending policy on the overall operations of the organization.
- Ensure appropriate planning is completed for all organizational responsibilities;
- Assist the Manager of Finance in the development of the annual budget and monitor all financial controls and reporting;
- Demonstrate leadership in delivering exceptional service and unparalleled value to the clients/producers; and
- Regularly contribute to the organization’s communication vehicles such as the Newsletter, Annual Report, Press Releases etc.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to direct reports through establishing, implementing and monitoring goals and metrics;
- Build and motivate a team of leaders who are committed to the vision of the organization, and who feel empowered to work collaboratively in support of the strategic priorities;
- Establish succession planning and the continuous growth of internal capacity and leadership development; and
- Champion a culture of internal excellence that emphasizes not only the “what” but the “how” of achieving results.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Establish trust and respect internally with staff and dairy producers;
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of all relevant Acts, policies (provincial and federal) and regulations as they relate to Alberta Milk;
- Demonstrate visionary thinking in the approach to building and maintaining cooperative, open and trusting relationships with industry partners to present a united position to government;
- Establish strong, trusted relationships with government (provincially and nationally) to ensure Alberta Milk is seen as an industry expert especially as it relates to influencing policy changes;
- Develop, in collaboration with western partners, a strategy to better leverage the relationship with processors; and
- Provide leadership to the organization to achieve its 2018/2019 priorities of:
- Effectively advocating for the dairy industry;
- Be a trusted partner working with other dairy industry organizations and agriculture groups on common concerns and opportunities;
- Encourage industry investment to stimulate sustainable growth; and
- Ensure effective and efficient operations and maintain the regulatory environment that meets the needs of their members.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, commerce or other related discipline; and
- A masters in a related discipline is an asset.
- Minimum 5 years’ progressive senior management experience;
- Previous experience working with a Board of Directors;
- Demonstrated success in building, coaching, mentoring and leading diverse, high performing teams;
- Track record of success in developing and implementing strategic plans;
- Previous experience formulating policies and procedures;
- Track record of success in building relationships in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment;
- Comprehensive knowledge of the agriculture and agri-food sector and factors impacting the industry; and
- Knowledge of the dairy industry, relevant regulations & Acts, research, programs and industry best practices are definite assets.
Competencies and Attributes
- Strategic Leadership: Fosters the development of a common vision providing clear direction and priorities and clarifying roles and responsibilities. Sets the tone for the Alberta Milk’s culture and ensures succession in management and leadership.
- Strategic Planning: Develops short and long-range plans that are comprehensive, creative, realistic and effective in meeting goals and objectives, and integrates planning efforts across functions.
- People Leadership: Ability to inspire and focus the team toward goal achievement. Demonstrates behaviors consistent with organizational values and demands same from others. Takes ownership of the decision and not the idea.
- Business and Financial Acumen: Understands key business fundamentals, understands the drivers of financial health and accountability of the organization and takes responsibility to maintain its ongoing fiscal soundness.
- Relationship with Board and Stakeholders: Builds trusting relationships with the Board and stakeholders by being open in the sharing and receiving of information and sees these groups as partners in furthering the organization’s goals. Proactively seeks partnership and collaboration with external organizations to ensure long-term strategic success.
- Management of Ambiguity: Adapts effortlessly to changes in priorities, circumstances and environment; is energized by the opportunity to put their mark on an evolving organization.
- Political Acumen: Possesses keen judgement and a heightened ability to perceive the formal and informal influences on a situation. Correctly reads contextual cues and uses the information to frame and sell ideas, influence others, negotiate, persuade, build networks, initiate and manage change.
- Communication: Communicates effectively with stakeholders on goals, plans and issues and seeks feedback and advice before acting. Listens with the intent to understand and not the intent to respond. Exercises tact and diplomacy in all communications. Ability to adapt communication styles to a wide range of audiences across all platforms.
- Professional Credibility: Perceived as responsible, reliable and trustworthy.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application:AFCK-600236 General Manager – Alberta Milk - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY) Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria, established by our client, will be contacted further.
Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate. We encourage you to continue to visit our website at optimumtalent.com
as our opportunities are updated on a regular basis.